Builds 1997 FZJ80 to HDJ80 1HD-FTE + H152F (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It feels great to get going on this truck again. It seems like forever ago that I acquired most of the parts for this build. Even though there were some delays and detours, things are back on track.

I never really gave much of the back story on this truck. I am the third owner of the truck and the second owner had it from 1998 until I purchased a couple of years ago. He acquired it from a Toyota salesman who drove it for about 10,000 miles. The truck was a California truck all its life and a garage queen. The second owner was a supper nice guy and very mechanically inclined. The truck was incredibly well maintained and very stock....never abused.

I found the truck on Mud. It was one of those vague for sale ads for a clean, stock Land Cruiser. The ad did not mention the factory lockers but the seller offered up those details when we first talked. The asking price was very fair back then (and honestly would be a steal under the current market conditions). But the seller was VERY skeptical about selling me the truck without me seeing it first. I was the first one to call on the truck and after speaking to him for 5 minutes I said I’d be happy to buy it and wire him the money immediately. I think he believed I was trying to scam him. I really had to work to convince him that I was just really into Land Cruisers. He finally said he would sleep on it, talk to his wife, and let me know the next day. Luckily, he called me the next day and said he was willing to move forward with the deal as long as I sent him a cashiers check and he was given a few days to make sure “no funny business was happening.”

The deal went through with no issues. I had the truck shipped cross country to me and immediately fell in love with it. It was just one of those trucks you could tell had been loved its entire life. Definitely the nicest, original 80 series I had ever seen.

I’m trying to balance this build between something crazy and something useful. I live in a pretty rural area of North Florida, but I don’t camp that much. If I lived out West I think I would try to make this more of an overland rig with a full kitchen and all kinds of goodies. But that doesn’t make a lot of sense for around here. I think the fridge/freezer unit and Trekboxx storage will be great for canoe trips. I was going to install a light bar on my Bowfin rack but now I am reconsidering that because I would like the flexibility to take off the rack when I am not using it to haul canoes.

More to follow.

Red Cruiser, red shirt...

A58EA0D2-DE57-43FF-A44F-3D9DE8E95B38.jpeg

In the shop last night till 11pm, back again at 7am. Need my coffee! 😬

Cheers

Better light now for pictures.

6EE245B0-AEE8-4EEB-B654-B90DCBF26E28.jpeg

C6B861B5-5652-4C7D-8748-B347819908C0.jpeg

Got to work all this out.

0E448A35-96F3-47C7-B9D7-2221C5FCD44C.jpeg

Sexy looking turbo in there.

4328DBAF-1BF8-4625-AB35-DF8110B6E11A.jpeg

And these are just gorgeous.

490654F6-5B8E-4C61-96E6-F58775C59F42.jpeg

Cheers

John got this restored so we are installing it.

5AE909C8-BA36-4F5D-8706-C3753B4FE6E7.jpeg

Weatherstripping looks great all around on the Cruiser. I can find one little nick in the back hatch seal but that is it.

956F7C13-485D-4070-AB99-9F63563BC017.jpeg

Chassis is good and rust free, knuckles are not covered in goo.

9847890D-8129-4808-AB79-B74F2E5DF0A6.jpeg

Cheers

Going over the truck with a fine toothed comb, don’t like this.

View attachment 2365827

Cheers

I ran into a bunch of little clearance issues like this with my PDI setup. Since it's such a tight fit, I've been considering re-clocking my turbo to alleviate buy a little more space. It's great that you found that before you got a corner shaped boost leak! (I've been there...)

@SNLC a cool feature about these particular Scheelmann seats is that the bottoms will flip up. There is a pin underneath the front of each seat that can be removed and the seat will lift up for storage underneath. I haven’t really decided what I would want to store under the seats......but I am open to ideas.

These are the Traveler LR Edition.

@SNLC maybe some ammo storage or something. I like my pistols readily accessible.

Let me think on it. Right now I am drawing a blank besides a lock box or storage for say recovery gear or tools.

Cheers

Going over the truck with a fine toothed comb, don’t like this.

View attachment 2365827

Cheers

My Moonlight box is exactly the same in the exact same spot. Not sure what the options are to prevent rubbing. The good news (I suppose) is that after running it for years this way, it is not really wearing into the hose. I always keep an eye on it. If you come up with an idea of how to prevent rubbing, I'd be interested to hear.

@Lumpskie is correct. It is wicked tight in there.

My Moonlight box is exactly the same in the exact same spot. Not sure what the options are to prevent rubbing. The good news (I suppose) is that after running it for years this way, it is not really wearing into the hose. I always keep an eye on it. If you come up with an idea of how to prevent rubbing, I'd be interested to hear.

@Lumpskie is correct. It is wicked tight in there.

A few options, it only needs 1/2” or so of clearance.

4CFF1E4B-01D9-41A1-8380-BB7B4C106F47.jpeg

Easily push it over with my hand so think make a bracket that will bolt in this hole and keep it pushed off the air box.

E3EA0A91-6D2A-4C78-BFEB-449F91CD2B41.jpeg

And maybe lop the corner off the air box. Both of these together will give over a 1/2” of clearance.

Cheers

Then, a good friend of mine mentioned maybe installing some Rosen visors.....sign me up!
Nice visors. I use these visors at work. If the sun is directly in my face, I use some small clamps/clips to attach a map or checklist to the visor. Blocks the sun completely.

Do the Rosen’s bolt right up? Any modifications needed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom