1997 FZJ80 Oil Capacity (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Now this is probably a very dumb question, but it won't my first so here goes. When changing the oil and filter on a 1997 FZJ80, what is the oil capacity ? I remeber something about dry fill etc in the manual and I wanted to be sure I was right. Is it about 8 quarts ?

Thank you,

Matt

Matt,
Just finished a LOF about 30 minutes ago. 7-1/2 US qts with the small 20004 filter; a little more with the larger filters.
-B-

So, 7.5 Quarts with a Toyota filter as well ?

[quote author=The Beast II link=board=2;threadid=4319;start=0#msg32090 date=1060813874]
So, 7.5 Quarts with a Toyota filter as well ?
[/quote]

Actually with the toyota filter it is 10 quarts. A little known fact is the toyota filter while physically only capable of holding .25 quart, can really hold 2 quarts.

Seriously, mine holds about 7.75. I'm just aiming for 100 posts before the day is out. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Cary

The 20004 is the small Toyota filter that many of us use. It's more expensive than some other OEM filters but has several features that the anal types that frequent this forum can't resist.
-B-

Reactions: KTP
Mine takes 7.5 quarts with a 90915-20004 and 8 quarts with a 15600-41010.

The extra pint that the 15600-41010 holds ends up all over the front axle housing and block web when you take it off ::) .

I live on the edge using the anal 004 filter, and filling with 8 quarts. I also use M1, yet change out at a shorter 5k interval. I figure the extra .456789 quart is not an overfill danger, as generally there's a 1 quart allowance, and I hate partially filled bottles of M1 laying around. It is also my life's goal to use up the world's synthetic oil reserves as fast as possible, while keeping John Hocker farting through silk by getting the '004's by the box...

IdahoDoug

Are you guys changing the oil every 3,000 or 5,000 miles ?

3K intervals for me.

5k, Mobil 1, 004 filter, block heater for winter startups.

IdahoDoug

3K and switching from a K&N to a 2004 filter.

5,000-7,500 miles depending on my mood. I have to get my money's worth out of the synthetic. :flipoff2: (Can I use the flipoff symbol or is it only registered to Junk? :D)

BTW, I use the good small filter.

Cary

Cary,

Feel free :flipoff2: ....... :D

5,000 mile intervals using M1 with 04 filter and just switched to 0w40 from 5w30. Sometimes the interval is extended and I don't get concerned unless it's over 7,000 miles.

C-Dan has convinced me that a new OEM drain plug gasket is the way to go on each and every oil change. There is no (nada, zip, none, nothing) leaking from the drain plug or anywhere else for that matter. I detest leaks of any kind. It has a little grease splatter on the underside from the prop shafts but that doesn't count.

I'm gonna find Cary and sit on him if the 0w40 doesn't work out. (Like I would know....) :)

-B-

:D 90430-12031 :D

BTW, lefty-loosey, righty-tighty........ ::)

Are you guys changing the oil every 3,000 or 5,000 miles ?
Every 10,000km(about 6,000 miles) with a Ryco or Valvoline Z418 and Castrol GTX 2 20W/50. :flipoff2: Just as the book says. :)

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=4319;start=msg32325#msg32325 date=1060920297]
I'm gonna find Cary and sit on him if the 0w40 doesn't work out. (Like I would know....) :)

-B-

[/quote]

Oh crap, Did I forget to tell you that the M1 0w-40 has been doing horribly, you should change it out immediately!!! :D :flipoff2:

Seriously, I have about 2000 miles on the M1 0w-40 and no oil consumption. I have ordered and received an oil analysis kit from Blackstone labs and will have the oil checked at 5000-6000 to see how the engine likes it. Watch, they will say that the oil is fine, but I have a coolant leak (head gasket)!!! :'(

I have also been running the 0w-40 in my wifes BMW 525i, and it hates it. I was using 15w-50 (the original weight recommended by BMW before they changed their minds) and it worked fine except for the lifters making noise when starting. Now the lifters are quiet but the car is using 1 quart every 750-1000 miles. This car is going to get switched to Redline 5w-40 (available locally for $6.25).

Cary

For as often as oil gets changed around here, and the pros and cons of "new gasket" v. "old gasket," I'm surprised no one has ever mentioned Fumoto's wonder valve...

fumoto_valve.jpg

http://www.fumotovalve.com/

This is infinitely easier... no more gaskets, no more rounded bolt heads on the drain plug, yada yada. No affiliation, just a more efficient way to change the oil.

Cheers, R -

All the dealers around here want to sell me the large filter. So what's the advantage of the smaller filter besides less mess on the shop floor when you replace it?

DO they both perform the same in regards to filtering?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom