1997 FZJ80 Heater Control Valve operation - is it direct or through some other mechanism (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The vehicle is a 1997 FZJ80. When I change the heater setting there is no connection to the heater control valve. Is there an intermediary mechanism? I am trying to diagnose an AC issue and I want to make sure the heater is totally off.
When off, looking at the control arm from the front should the contorl rod be all the way pulled in to the sleve mechanism or all the way pushed out?

If you look at the heater control valve, you'll notice a cable that is clipped to it and it should be adjusted so that the swing arm of the valve is about 4mm from the stop. That cable runs to a servo motor that is located in the dash directly behind the radio. This end of the cable secures to the servo by sliding over a post on the servo arm which controls the heater control valve. If you've adjust the cable at the valve properly, pull your dash and see if the post on the servo is broken. See the link in my post for more details.

Thanks. If I read this correctly the slide on the dash provides input to the heater control. We are in the middle of a heat wave, I will slide the input control lever to 'blue' and adjust the gap to minimum. When things get back to normal I will look to see if this is an adjustment or something is actually borken.
(The AC starts cold and then as the engine warms up it warms up. All the pressures are normal and there are no air flow obstructions. I am thinking the control valve may be letting warm warter through.)

If you don't need/want any heat you can just slide the cable eyelet off
the heat control valve lever at the firewall and close the valve manually as a temp fix while you figure out why the cable isn't moving.

Update: Yes, the control slides off. (That was a bit is a leap or faith.) Also the cable holder is a spring clip mechanism. The clip slides off with a screw driver and reattaches with needle nose pliers. It is easy to hold the cable in place and reset the clip.
The important thing is the actual valve. The valve aligns and is parallel with the lever. Full right, clockwise, is open. Full up, counter clochwise is closed. Mine was not fully closing.
(The cable also has a kink in it. When the temp gets back to something normal I will straighten the cable. ) Thanks all for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom