1997 FZJ80 40th Anny Tripple Locked Worth? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why are you buying it?

Because it's a 40th?
Because it's triple locked?

I would say neither of these should influence your decision.

After that, it will be up to you and how much you're willing to deal with rusted bolts.

Do you do your own work? If so, you can deal with rust better. I do all my own work and have a sequence of how I deal with rusted bolts and I am very good at drilling/threading broken studs.

If you pay someone else to do your work, then no, because they will start charging you by the hour, not by flat rate.

I'm not a good person to ask about how much to pay because I'm never right. I tend to rescue old rusty vehicles that I should have never touched , for way too much money.
Because it’s a 40 triple seems to hold their value. I do majority of the work myself. Needs a lot of tlc

Then I say get it inspected. Make an offer, if inspection is not horsesh@t, then put another $7k into it and for $14k you got a docent cruiser. It’s for sure a project tho.

Because it’s a 40 triple seems to hold their value. I do majority of the work myself. Needs a lot of tlc

In good condition yes but this one is rough and dying to rust. While triple locked is all the rage, they have their own issues if not used frequently. Many debate the value of OEM lockers vs aftermarket, they can save you some money if perfect but otherwise can be a wash depending on what work you need to do.

One thing I never want to touch is rust and body work. To me this is a donor or parts vehicle more than something you would want to build from.

Depending on what your purpose for the vehicle is? I would check out the noise heard in the engine video, sounds like a 'knock'; however, running engines always sound different on audio/video that in person!

If the motor checks out (compression, oil, fluids, etc...) I'd pay $7K all day long being in agreement with everything that was mentioned above. I like a good challenge and for the money, even if you drove it for a few years, you got your money's worth! If you're looking for a pristine restoration candidate, this is not the machine for you...

Just don't fool yourself you're going to be restoring this one. Better off spending 2x (or more) for a pristine candidate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom