For Sale 1997 FZJ80 122k Miles Factory Lockers Built (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cross posted on craigslist. Link: 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 Overland Built
Location Kennebunkport, Maine
Asking Price: $12,500

The time has come to list our 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser for sale. First off, yes it does have factor lockers! We bought it 100% stock a few years ago and have spent a lot of time and money building it up to where it is now. It has 122,600 original miles and is ready to take you around the world. If you're familiar with these trucks then I don't have to tell you how they're built like tanks, or how they're designed to take you around the world, or how they're the perfect balance of reliability, luxury and off road ability. So let's get onto the specs...

Stuff that we've replaced:

All fluids in vehicle have been changed and replaced with OEM spec fluids.
New brakes all around; calipers, pads and rotors.
New U-joints in both driveshafts.
Rebuilt parking brake; new cable, shoes, parts kit, etc.
Rebuilt front knuckles; all new wheel bearings, trunnion bearings, seals, wipers, etc.
Rebuilt rear wheel bearings; new bearing, seals, etc.
New (remanufactured) steering box from Cruiser Parts.
Replaced every single suspension bushing with OEM quality rubber ones. (sway bar, control arms, panhard bars) Made a huge difference in ride quality.
New custom high clearance exhaust, exits through rear bumper. Not loud at all, stock sounding.
All new tie rod ends on tie rod and drag link.
90% of the brake lines have been replaced.
Replaced fuel tank with used one from a southern truck (from Cruiser Parts).
New OEM fuel filler neck.
New Duralast Platinum AGM battery.
New OEM O2 sensors.

Now for the Mods:

ARB 2863 rear springs.
ARB 2850 front springs.
ARB nitrocharger shocks and steering stabilizer.
Man-A-Fre control arm drop brackets to correct caster.
Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX in 255/85/16. Still over 75% tread.
Sandblasted and repainted factory wheels dark gray color.
Custom high clearance front winch bumper 3/16" steel.
Engo E9000s winch with synthetic rope.
Custom fully boxed 3/16" steel rear bumper with swing out tire carrier. Mount for Hi-Lift, ladder for roof access, and custom fold down table for grilling on.
Custom 1.75"x.120 DOM rock sliders. Strong enough to Hi-Lift off of no problem.
New "blue hub" fan clutch.
Nitro Gear chromoly front axle shafts (inner/outer) and birfields.
Fender flares have been removed and holes welded up properly.
Monstaliner gray two tone.
Blue Sea fuse block to run accessories.
Aftermarket stereo with mp3 port.
Uniden CB radio installed in dash. Firestik 4' antenna on rear bumper.
Replaced all dome lights with LEDs. Much brighter.
Rear locker skid plate/guard
Rear heating system bypassed due to issues with leaks. It is not needed, the front heater throws plenty of heat.
Factory roof rack has been removed. Holes touched up and sealed. Ready for whatever roof rack you'd like to put on it.
7 pin CDL mod. Gives you the ability to drive in low range with the CDL disengaged. Useful for sharp turn on the trail etc.
CDL switch added. Gives you the ability to lock the CDL in high range.
Custom rear storage system/sleeping platform with 2 drawers and side storage compartments. Left drawer setup with tabletop/cutting board-see picture.
Custom fridge slide. Made to fit ARB 50 qt fridge, but you can use any coolers or fridges that will fit on it.
Viair 400H compressor installed right with a pressure switch and rocker switch on dash.
Probably the best mod I've done: Deleted ABS and the rear LSPV valve. I fought with poor brakes on this truck since the day we got it. I was hesitant to do this mod but after doing a lot of research, I finally made the decision to bypass the ABS and LSPV because they hold air bubbles and prevent a full bleeding of the brakes. After doing this it didn't even feel like you were driving the same truck. It now stops on a dime and I feel 110% safer and more confident driving it. No, the ABS does not function anymore, but it is a much safer vehicle and stops much quicker because of it.

This is a New England truck and does have visual rust on the frame, however none if it is bad enough to cause any issues. For a 20 year old truck from New England it's not bad at all. My 2006 Chevy Pickup has more rust than this does. There were a couple spots on both front fenders that had rust holes behind the fender flares and were repaired professionally.

The only issues are that the fan belt will slip sometimes and squeak on a cold startup, but goes away quickly. There are two belts on the pulley (land cruiser redundancy) So I've never worried about it and it's never been an issue other than the noise. The truck also loses coolant very very slowly. I believe it's a very slow leak from a hose somewhere when its running. I've spent hours trying to trace it but haven't been able to find it. I don't believe it to be a head gasket issue as it shows none of the signs of being one and it only has 122k miles. Also power antenna button no longer works. FM antenna has to be raised or lowered manually. A/C has also been deleted. I have all 6 seats that go in the truck. Only the front 2 seats are in it now. While this truck has not been beaten on by any means, it has been driven through the woods as it was meant to be. Therefore it does not have a perfect paint job. There are scratches, dings, and a couple dents here and there. But I just think of them as character marks.

I've done so much to this truck over the last few years that I'm sure I'm forgetting more mods. She's followed my buddies JK Rubicon anywhere he's gone over the years and has never let me down. If you have any questions feel free to get in touch.

See pictures here:
Land Cruiser by maxmcnally1

That is a nice setup for the price, for someone in the Northeast to snag. A few more good bright shots of the rust underneath may help the many folks who are likely on the fence because of that issue. That aside, your price and many upgrades are a no-brainer.

That is a nice setup for the price, for someone in the Northeast to snag. A few more good bright shots of the rust underneath may help the many folks who are likely on the fence because of that issue. That aside, your price and many upgrades are a no-brainer.
Thanks! And yeah I'll work on getting a couple more shots of the underneath. I've lived in Maine my whole life so it's nothing that scares me and likely wouldn't anyone else who comes from the rust belt either. Theres no body rust at all, just the typical frame rust, nothing that would cause it to fail inspection or anything. And all the problem items were taken care of: fuel tank replaced, filler neck replaced, brake lines replaced.

Additional pics of undercarriage have been added to photobucket album!

Last edited:
If this is still available next month i maybe extremely interested, im stationed in north Carolina but have a friend in maine that could come look at this rig for me

If this is still available next month i maybe extremely interested, im stationed in north Carolina but have a friend in maine that could come look at this rig for me
I hope to have it sold by then! But if not by all means, yes let me know!

I wish I needed a wheelin 80, this would be it!!
Seems like a very fair deal!

Wow mine's a similar 80 just W Coast & if I was to advertise, I'd start at $16K+.

Yours with visual rust is a no-brainer for E Coast guys who are used to rust, and then the new owner can go ballistic rust-proofing.

Hold your ground on that price, without seeing pics but the description alone means it's worth the $11.5, provided rust is really still just cosmetic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom