1997 Fzj-80 Electric Seat Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1997 FZJ-80 and the passenger seat is not moving back or forward. The Front Horizontal Jack Screw RH is moving but Front Seat Horizontal Jack Screw LH is not moving. The motor is working fine and the drive cable is turning. Should I start with replacing the Front Seat Slide Housing? As I am writing this, I am thinking that I should just replace all the gear while im at it. Your feedback would be appreciated

If the gears are stripped and the long screws get misaligned it makes it look like the screw is at fault Because it jams up the seat mechanism. As @Bludozer stated, get new gears from Gamviti and all should be well.

Bunch of good threads on doing this.
You want to make sure the threaded rods are even when you put it back together, or it'll get cocked and seize up.

Bunch of good threads on doing this.
You want to make sure the threaded rods are even when you put it back together, or it'll get cocked and seize up.

This.

Had mine fixed with Gamviti then seized up a year later. Was thinking it was the product but now most likely the workmanship. Will replace again with Gamviti and be sure to follow their instructions.

Awesome, thanks for the help. I have 4 gears and 2 caps on order. Lots of good information on this site

Awesome, thanks for the help. I have 4 gears and 2 caps on order. Lots of good information on this site
The primary reason for seat gear failure is the 20+ year old grease that turns to glue inside the gear boxes. Take the time to clean out the old crap and fill with fresh white lithium grease.

The primary reason for seat gear failure is the 20+ year old grease that turns to glue inside the gear boxes. Take the time to clean out the old crap and fill with fresh white lithium grease.

This! It took me more time to clean the chunks of grease out than anything else on this job. And I mean literal chunks...it was like picking pieces of plastic out of the housings. But it is smooth as butter now with the new White goo in there.

This! It took me more time to clean the chunks of grease out than anything else on this job. And I mean literal chunks...it was like picking pieces of plastic out of the housings. But it is smooth as butter now with the new White goo in there.
Yea, it is very time consuming trying to break down that old grease/glue without harming the plastic. The 4 seats I've done so far move smoothly regardless of ambient temperature.

Just pulled my passenger seat today. I did the drivers seat a few years ago. This time the grease/gunk where the end of the worm gear goes into the end cap effectively glued them together. I put the worm gear in the drill chuck and wet sanded the gunk off of the worm gear. Rubbing alcohol helps break down the gunk without hurting the nylon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom