1997 FZJ 80 Air Intake Hose/Tube OEM Alternatives? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NorCalDoug

problems solved daily...
Threads
Aside from OEM, does anyone know of alternatives that would work equally as well or better than OEM?

I need to replace mine and would likely go OEM, but if there's something better, I'd be willing to take a look...

Any thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

What he said, I have the same problem and temporarily I have a RTV/Duct tape fix. I was looking at doing a 4" silicone flex/hump section attached to the AFM and a aluminum tube with another 4" silicone section for the throttle body... But due to the recent thread I am holding off, might be cheaper in the end to do all the hoses in silicone if it comes in a kit. (perhaps)

How about some PVC pipe and some flexible plumbing connections? :D

-Spike (Hey, if Toyota quits making parts, that may become an option, so don't laugh.)

Doug,

Mine just went this weekend. I guess 13 years of heat and flexing was enough. I'm thinking of going with a 3" exhaust pipe. It is pretty common in Idaho with all the diesels, heck I can get 4, 5, 6 and 8" really easy these days. I'm thinking stainless and then using intercooler or turbo clamps with short runs of silicon hose. This would look sort of snazzy and should last well.

For temporary use I'm running silver duck tape. It gives it the Idaho white trash look under the hood. It is very stylish and I'm the envy of everyone in the hood.

CDan will make you a sweet deal on an OEM. I did mine a few months ago. I never realized the part is actually flexible when new.

CDan will make you a sweet deal on an OEM. I did mine a few months ago. I never realized the part is actually flexible when new.

How much is a sweet deal? I have to get a sweat deal from him on a radiator right now too.

Hmm.. Well one of the kind again here :flipoff2: Landtank MAF mods and some JDM cold air intake perhaps ...? :grinpimp:
Overhaul 1FZ_JDM.JPG

lx...where's the smiley face stickers!!!!!

we have to get together....I'll show you how to ruin your truck!!

I put my new OEM in last night.

I had NO idea it was supposed to bend and flex.

I got the metal fastener deelys off by putting the old one on the ground and stepping on each end to break them.

FWIW I took the time a few months back to make a custom aluminum air intake using all the best goodies. The results were:
About 1 mpg increase.
horrible fart noise and resonance at higher rpm.
loss of bottom end power.
I was less than stoked.
I would buy a stock tube if I had it to do over again.
-Andy

What's a sweet deal? CDan price -

How much is a sweet deal? I have to get a sweat deal from him on a radiator right now too.

I purchased one in early July from CDan for my LC:

Part No: 17881-66080, List $94.08, Net $70.56.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom