1997 fj80 front axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi every one I'm putting together a rig that has a 1997 fj80 frame and running gear My question is about the front axle, is it strong enough? I have a 6 liter ls engine around 375 to 400 hp with a 4l80 trans I'm also using the 80s transfer case with a part time kit and a low range gear set. My plan is to install 5.28 gears with RCV axles. I will be running 40 12.50 17 tires. our plan is to tow this with our rv and use it around the country so we are building it to do many different things. but places like Moab are high on the list so we want to make sure its worthy, thank you for any advice

id put chromoly axle shafts in it, that seems to be the weak point. there are plenty of 80s out there with 40s and 4.88/5.29 gears. im not sure about 400hp, im willing to bet youll brake something somewhere with that much power, but who knows.

I have 400hp in mine and I don’t think I’ve ever come close to breaking anything. Of course, I don’t drive like a yahoo with my foot in it constantly, maybe that’s why nothing breaks ? My opinion is that the std Toyota stuff will easily handle 400hp if you don’t abuse anything.

What kind of rig? You say frame and running gear. Will it have a bobbed truck body on it? Will it weigh considerably less than a stock 80?

Hi every one I'm putting together a rig that has a 1997 fj80 frame and running gear My question is about the front axle, is it strong enough? I have a 6 liter ls engine around 375 to 400 hp with a 4l80 trans I'm also using the 80s transfer case with a part time kit and a low range gear set. My plan is to install 5.28 gears with RCV axles. I will be running 40 12.50 17 tires. our plan is to tow this with our rv and use it around the country so we are building it to do many different things. but places like Moab are high on the list so we want to make sure its worthy, thank you for any advice

Difficult to predict how it will live without knowing how you drive, or how much the rig weighs. Trail ready I am 6400 pounds with me in the drivers seat, and have been on 40's for years with no issues. But I don't play rock bouncer when I go wheeling.

I'm old enough to understand how expensive it is to fix broken stuff so I tend to take some what easy on things. this rig is getting a 1951 Willys Jeepster body. I'm not a jeep guy and this doesn't really look like a jeep, I just wanted something different. It getting a 3 link in the front with coil overs all the way around. Its kind of ugly right now but I will snap a pic of it later today.

I found a Pic on my phone

jeepster.jpg

Run it, If it lets go let us know

I think I would do something like a diamond axle with a hi pinion ford 9" before doing a dana 60. the sixty is heavy and I would have to run a bigger tire to have the same ground clearance. I think it would be a little over kill for this rig also. I was going to run 37s (if you look the rear tires are different than the front, I haven't put the 40s on the rear yet) so I already have some of the build parts for the 80 axle. I have the hellfire knuckles and RCV axles.

I have 400hp in mine and I don’t think I’ve ever come close to breaking anything. Of course, I don’t drive like a yahoo with my foot in it constantly, maybe that’s why nothing breaks ? My opinion is that the std Toyota stuff will easily handle 400hp if you don’t abuse anything.
This, this is how you don't break things. Plenty of Ford Raptors are bent in half by people driving like yahoos, even though they are crazy rediculous setups. Toyota parts are long lasting and durable, just be good to it and it'll treat you well.

Big tires, lots of horsepower, serious wheeling. Go Dana 60.

Well it looks like this build has taken a sharp right off a cliff. Not sure what axles I will be going with yet but it looks like the 60s may have won out, right now I'm leaning to Dynatrac. I'm not using the land cruiser stuff. So I'm going to have a lot of 1997 fj80 stuff for sale both axles w/ factor lockers I have manual hubs for it and hellfire knuckles all the arms and sway bars can go with then also. I also have the transfer case with a part time kit and an adapter to go to a gm 4l80. plus a brand new set of 37" tires with BTR bead lock wheels and a twin turbo kit for an LS. I will get pics and get it all posted in the next day or so

I'm thinking of keeping the transfer case do you guys think it would take the abuse. I will have to have the rear axle made with a right side drop and atlas doesn't make a transfer with that option so if the LC case grenades I will be stuck with just replacing it with another.

Going all GM on the drivetrain ? Might as well get ahold of Offroad Design in Colorado about their transfer case options. I have their doubler but they’ve moved way past that now and have some hardcore stuff available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom