1997 Axle/Knuckle rebuild - Is this much play normal?

• Thread starter Lancruza
  • Start date
  • Watchers 4
Lancruza

Lancruza

It's time to get busy livin.
As the title states rebuilding the front axle/knuckle. As I'm taking everything apart and cleaning I notice the play in the axle. Is this normal?

M

manofthewoods

As the title states rebuilding the front axle/knuckle. As I'm taking everything apart and cleaning I notice the play in the axle. Is this normal?

I did mine recently, I believe what you have is normal. Others may have more definitive information.
As a side note; perhaps unsurprising, but those are some massively over engineered CV joints!

Also I'd strongly recommend switching sides (of the Birfs, that is), unless you're popping for new ones$$$

redeye

redeye

SILVER Star
I would also say this is normal. You need some amount of "give" for when it all goes back together and you need to put the C clip (maybe not the technical term) on the end. You put a small bolt in the threaded end of the axle and pull a little. :)

LandLocked93

LandLocked93

SILVER Star
So long as both sides play the same, yes it is normal. Should be just enough stub poking thru the drive flange to get the ring back in that groove on the end.
If there is more or less play, it could point to a reassembly issue.
Or you have the wrong size drive flange (if you're replacing those also).

Last edited:
george_tlc

george_tlc

Website
www.george4wd.taskled.com
That amount of 'play' is just fine and normal. Get on with re-assembling all the rest of the bits, set the wheel bearing preload.

Then, as stated above, thread in a bolt, pull on the bolt while you snap the c-clip back on. Grease it all good, put the flange back on and button it up.

I just had mine apart to adjust the preload a week or so ago.

cheers,
george.