1997 80 Series - Steering Wheel W/ airbag Noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

What is this maddening noise? Sounds like a rattling/squeaking simultaneously resulting in the audible noise below:

I've searched MUD and found that it could either be the clock spring OR speedo cable requires lubrication.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Thanks,

Last edited:
I've noticed that I get this from time to time on mine as well. No luck with pinning down whatever it is so far.

If it is the clock spring, it will come and go. Our truck had it on and off years ago for maybe a year, then it just went away. Only real solution is a new clock spring. Price one and you will likely grow more patient about it maybe going away.

If it's a speedo cable lacking lube, it will not go away.

I've searched MUD and found that it could either be the clock spring OR speedo cable requires lubrication.

Well you have limited the problem to be the clock spring because the 93-97 models don't have a speedo cable as it is electronic.

If it is the clock spring, it will come and go. Our truck had it on and off years ago for maybe a year, then it just went away. Only real solution is a new clock spring. Price one and you will likely grow more patient about it maybe going away.

If it's a speedo cable lacking lube, it will not go away.
As per below, looks like 93-97 has no speedo. Having looked at the prices of clock springs, I've become incredibly patient overnight.. :)

I think it's your keys hanging on the ignition because you have one key that is on the upper side of the ring, and not hanging with the rest of them.

I'm actually being serious, as I've encountered some weird crap like this in my past, when it's something simple.

Look at the video and how the keys are positioned.

Actually at the 0:09 point in the second video there looks to be a loose bracket bouncing around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom