1996 Stock Wheels Refurb Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Irish Reiver

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
My searching skills didn't turn up anything relevant so apologies up front if I missed an easy find.

I have a set of stock aluminium wheels from a '96 that need a little TLC. Does any one know what the factory finish was on these wheels? are they power coated or just lacquered or maybe something else.
Regardless of the final finish, these wheels will need some kind of media blasting to bring them back - especially the spare which is pretty rough. Anyone suggest what is the best media to use?

Any other tips or suggestions will be greatly received. :cheers:

Following, I am planning on powder coating a 97 set to match the heritage bronze color on the 200 series. Not sure the process to follow either my local coater said he could sand blast and powder coat for $70 a wheel. Not sure if this is the best way or to chemical strip and paint? Hopefully some other members have achieved this and share.

Sanded and cleaned up the best I could then rattle em ;)

Probably spent $70 for all 4 (paint and sanding supplies)

3 to 4 coat of rustoleum Rattle can with 3 to 4 coats of clear...

O3RSLwSh.jpg

VdfWTAUh.jpg

Following, I am planning on powder coating a 97 set to match the heritage bronze color on the 200 series. Not sure the process to follow either my local coater said he could sand blast and powder coat for $70 a wheel. Not sure if this is the best way or to chemical strip and paint? Hopefully some other members have achieved this and share.

I had a set of old VW Corrado Speedlines that I paid $60/per in 1998 - to have media blasted & the shop down the street powdercoats appliance cabinetry - if you wait until they are running a common color they do it cheap & it is excellent.

(had average scuffs from tire changers, but no curb rash/no welding needed - IDK what they used for media)

I just had them do them in ‘stainless steel’.
2.5yrs later when sold it was still simple to powerwash off brake dust.
—————

I’ve got a set of BBS LM’s built for a project - powdercoat was how the wheelbuilder does them - even if powdercoated clear.

I’ve got diamantschwartz (graphite grey metallic) -centers & polished lips.

-So I’m guessing the powdercoat must be the low-maint fav, the wheelbuilder is some guy all over the ‘Gram (I don’t IG, so IDK).

I have a set of stock aluminium wheels from a '96 that need a little TLC. Does any one know what the factory finish was on these wheels? are they power coated or just lacquered or maybe something else.
They are just clear coated. Im in the process of stripping that clear coat off with aircraft stripper. Will then polish the raw aluminum and see what I have. Then if I dont like it for some reason, Im just gonna spray paint primer and paint in a dark gray metallic/graphite gray. Ive done several 80 wheels in that color and I think they look really good in that shade. I dont like them in black or flat gray, look best in dark gray metallic in my opinion.

Yup, the stock OEM rims all have a clear coat and its tough to get off even with paint stripper...U have to apply multi times.

I used aircraft paint stripper since cali banned naval jelly type products for paint removal...

Yup, the stock OEM rims all have a clear coat and its tough to get off even with paint stripper...U have to apply multi times.

I used aircraft paint stripper since cali banned naval jelly type products for paint removal...

They banned naval jelly - what, were kids doing a new version of that Tide Pod challenge or whut?

That’s over the top.......SMH 🙄

Most major cities have professional wheel restoration services. One of the methods they use is to place the wheel in a lathe with a laser guided diamond tipped cutting tool. They stripp the wheel, repaint the insert colors then turn the face in the lathe taking a very small amount of aluminum off until they are refinished. They then clear coat them. It is not a cheap process but they look new. A local guy quoted me $250 per wheel so I just ordered a set from a OEM wheel reseller in Los Angelous for $170 per wheel plus $30 shipping. I plan to sell my old wheels to lower the overall investment.

86171226-59AD-4FF5-8E84-F629BAC12133.jpeg

Most major cities have professional wheel restoration services. One of the methods they use is to place the wheel in a lathe with a laser guided diamond tipped cutting tool. They stripp the wheel, repaint the insert colors then turn the face in the lathe taking a very small amount of aluminum off until they are refinished. They then clear coat them. It is not a cheap process but they look new. A local guy quoted me $250 per wheel so I just ordered a set from a OEM wheel reseller in Los Angelous for $170 per wheel plus $30 shipping. I plan to sell my old wheels to lower the overall investment.

View attachment 2631509
Looks great! Can you share the OEM reseller please?
Thx

Looks great! Can you share the OEM reseller please?
Thx
It is a place in LA that wherehouses OEM wheels. Most are unfinished/unreconditioned. If they have the wheel in stock they send it out for refinishing. The center caps are knock off chinese cheapies. They are great but i also plan to refinish the originals and find a nice gold paint to do the logos.

Ralph Milhoan
1-800EveryRim - OEM Wheels
12078 Florence Ave
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670

800-383-7974 / Fax 562-692-3851
Direct Line - 562-351-4831
Email - Ralphm@1800EveryRim.com
www.1-800EveryRim.com

If you're in the NJ area, Mike from Quick Strip is highly recommended and affordable. Login • Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/quick_strip/

He helped me do everything large on my truck, all the small stuff we did in house.

I was going to redo them OE, but he talked me out of it by stating that long term, the powder would actually hold up better than trying to paint in the OE scheme.

2021-03-31 13.14.38.jpg

2020-11-21 13.45.56-1.jpg

They banned naval jelly - what, were kids doing a new version of that Tide Pod challenge or whut?

That’s over the top.......SMH 🙄
Totally!, its Cali for ya...I can drive over to Nevada and get naval jelly (and ammo as well ;) )

Totally!, its Cali for ya...I can drive over to Nevada and get naval jelly (and ammo as well ;) )

Phsssssst, the 1st rule of Cali living.......

The 2nd rule of Cali living.........

Well - you get where I sympathize with you all & know the disease is coming my way.

And I suppose I should dig up a pic of my BBS wheel to re-rail this thread too, since I fawked it.

Give me a day or 2, they buried deep for a project ride in (slow) progress......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom