1996 Rear Brake Replacement - with Pictures and Tips (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hornd

SILVER Star
Threads
Had intentions of just replacing Rotors when putting on New Tires (Yokohama Geolander A/T 285/75R16)
Midwest Living therefore buy Zinc coated Rotors - see picture below
Went with the Akebono Pads (Toyota Family Company & OEM Supplier to Lexus - and Jeep Cherokee too, but lets keep that Quiet.
Raybestos Zinc Calipers - Priced Right & Rebuilds of OEM - I know its like Tackling a Parapaplegic or Slapping your Mother....but chill out Purists

The First Caliper - Snapped Slide Bolt - Pads Seperated...I immediately headed to Computer
IMG_0799.jpg

Uneven Wear - Sign that Caliper Body is not Floating on Pins as it should - Usually Corrosion Issue
IMG_0808.jpg

RockAuto.com hard to beat - Always Google the 5% Coupon
61576627999__87AB4428-3600-4EC3-8FB0-E579FDBA234D.JPG

Trick - Painters Tape works Perfect for Protecting E-Brake Shoes\
Then coated everything with Fluid Film - Grease of the Gods
IMG_0807.jpg

On Went New Coated Raybestos Rotor $25 each
IMG_0809.jpg

Finished Up with These
LC Rear Calipers 2.jpg

LC Rear Calipers.jpg

Then the New Meats
61577200220__97500777-32D2-4784-8741-BC92937A30A5.JPG

Filled the Brake Reservoir then Bled Brakes till Fluid was clear, Torqued to 90 Ft/lbs and took it for a Spin.
Expected tires to Hum, but they are dead Quiet.
They were $800 for the Set and Arrived in 2 days from Wal*Mart (Shipping Included)
**China*Mart mounts tires for $15 each if you have receipt that you purchased from them. I highly Recommend you watch the $12/hr Installer and ask lots of questions so nothing is Overlooked. I've been very lucky, but I pay attention.

Last edited:
Nice work cruiser fan!

except the choice of certain parts... nuns will die

Never thought of fluid film on the park brake guts. Have you done that before?

Had intentions of just replacing Rotors when putting on New Tires (Yokohama Geolander A/T 285/75R16)
Midwest Living therefore buy Zinc coated Rotors - see picture below
Went with the Akebono Pads (Toyota Family Company & OEM Supplier to Lexus - and Jeep Cherokee too, but lets keep that Quiet.
Raybestos Zinc Calipers - Priced Right & Rebuilds of OEM - I know its like Tackling a Parapaplegic or Slapping your Mother....but chill out Purists

The First Caliper - Snapped Slide Bolt - Pads Seperated...I immediately headed to Computer
View attachment 2367703
Uneven Wear - Sign that Caliper Body is not Floating on Pins as it should - Usually Corrosion Issue
View attachment 2367711
RockAuto.com hard to beat - Always Google the 5% Coupon
View attachment 2367708
Trick - Painters Tape works Perfect for Protecting E-Brake Shoes\
Then coated everything with Fluid Film - Grease of the Gods
View attachment 2367712
On Went New Coated Raybestos Rotor $25 each
View attachment 2367714

Very nice! What did you do about the broken bolt? Also, am I reading that the rotors were 25$ each? God dang that's a bargain.. Link? Bad ass job. Inspired me to do mine too. Thanx for sharing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom