craigslist 1996 Lexus LX450 - BUYER BEWARE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey, fellow mudders, I want to make you aware of the shady seller of the LX in the following ad. I called on the ad almost two weeks ago as it was exactly what I'm looking for, even though it's halfway across the country. After a series of questions to which I received a favorable answer, I made an offer. A deal was struck and I was well on my way to owning what seemed to be a lovely 80 with lockers.

Well, I purchased a one-way ticket to western CA, overnighted a deposit check and prepared a cashiere's check for the remainder with a way for the buyer to verify the funds. Each effort I made was in line with either a verbal or written agreement between the seller and myself. Things were shaping up nicely and I was looking forward to getting to know the vehicle over the 1800 mile drive back to Kansas City.

I touched base with the seller four days before my flight and, just like that, his payment terms changed drastically. He now refused the cashiers check and demanded cash or a wire no less than one day prior to arriving in CA. I explained that I wouldn't travel with upwards of $10k in cash, and I MOST CERTAINLY would not wire a stranger the same amount with 1800 miles between us. He finally refused to hold his end of the deal, and also refused to refund my $200 worth of airfare and FedEx fees. Needless to say, we didn't part ways favorably.

Even though I believe the LX to be a good vehicle at a fair price (after negotiations), please DO NOT DEAL WITH THIS SELLER. Learn from my lesson. Personally, I don't believe he should be allowed on craigslist. eBay is more like it, with a binding contract providing some semblance of legal recourse.

Buyer, please beware!

PS: If you know of a similar, locked LX for sale, please let me know. =D

LX 450 Lexus 1996

Last edited:
Did you lose the deposit check? Sounds like a scam if he wanted cash or Western Union sent ahead of time.
Very strange.

Post the same info in Craigslist stating this information....

Hey, there -

No, I didn't lose the deposit check. Luckily he wasn't home when FedEx stopped by the first time, so I was able to have the package destroyed.

I don't necessarily think it's a scam, just a shady guy with a terrible business head.
:mad:

Did you lose the deposit check? Sounds like a scam if he wanted cash or Western Union sent ahead of time.
Very strange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom