1996 LC, newbie 80 series potential owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey eveyone

I currently own a 1999 Lexus LX470 (100 series) and have wanted a 80 series for awhile.

I came across a 1996 Land Cruiser, Green/Tan (leather) with 144k miles for $4,500. It's got an Old Man Emu lift, Nitrocharger shockes, Caster Kit, OME steering stabilizer, 35inch Pro Comp Xterrains (25% tread).

It's a 1 owner, the bad being it needs a back window motor and the leather on the front seat is cracking and needs to be stitched.

I called the guy, taking a look at it tomorrow.

I asked about the head gaskets apparently there is very minor seepage. He has most fo the service records, not all. It DOESN'T have the rear diff lock

A) Is this a good price? Everything I have come across has been way higher.
B) What else can I look for on it.... I checked out the sticky on it, but is there anything else with exception to that I might need to know?
C) Any other thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated.

At that price check the mechanicals out VERY carefully....

"Minor seepage" on the HG sounds ominous....

X2 on "minor seepage". Thats a good price, but be sure and drive it and check for leaks ect...oh and take some pics for us.

off topic:the 80 series comes with front and rear diff locks, not just rear like in the 100

i will shy away if the hg is about to go. You can do this if the owner let you do it, remove the exhaust heat shield and spray brake cleaner to clean up that area then run the engine and do the bubble test to make sure if it is bad. Good luck.

I would weigh how important it is to have the fr/rr lockers (It was/is a "must" for me).

If you don't care to have it, then I would use it having the original headgasket as a bargaining(sp) tool, unless the asking price already reflects that.

Also, I'm not fond of the green color... If you like the color, then that's not an issue, I guess.

ANYWAY, good luck!

If he noticed "minor seepage" there's a problem.

Reporting back.

Wow. It needs A LOT of work.

I looked at the engine, the block was just coated in oil, and definitely wasn't minor. It also had been this way for awhile. It had a bad dent in the rear lower tail gate, rear bumper smashed, drivers seat would need a complete refinish (including the controls for movement), major detail, tires, brakes, minor paintwork, complete stereo needed to be done (didn't work properly), etc.

This was a used and heavily abused truck. I'd rather spend a little more and get a cleaner truck. It also had police sirens in it (not on the roof though), which was a little odd, but to each his own.

Here's the link, if anyone cares. 1996 Landcruiser

Looks pretty good from the pics and the ad makes it sound even half decent...

But your accurate description of it makes it sound like too much hassle, especially w/o knowing how long the engine problem/leakage has been persisting and what it is.

Good luck finding the right one!

ican say one thing .....lockers so ya dont spend 3 grand on the aftermarket theres a locked pink panty in virginia beach w/ low miles listed on craigslist too bad i hate all the faux wood

Reporting back.

Wow. It needs A LOT of work.

I looked at the engine, the block was just coated in oil, and definitely wasn't minor. It also had been this way for awhile. It had a bad dent in the rear lower tail gate, rear bumper smashed, drivers seat would need a complete refinish (including the controls for movement), major detail, tires, brakes, minor paintwork, complete stereo needed to be done (didn't work properly), etc.

This was a used and heavily abused truck. I'd rather spend a little more and get a cleaner truck. It also had police sirens in it (not on the roof though), which was a little odd, but to each his own.

Here's the link, if anyone cares. 1996 Landcruiser

No wonder he has it for $4500. Not worth it in my opinion, you are going to end up spending lots of $$$ and time bringing it up to good shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom