For Sale 1996 Landcruiser, Overland Equipped (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
Mileage
Color
Black
Most "Overlanders” think they need what the industry is trying to sell them and looking their nose down at a truck that has gone where most of the $100k rigs will never go. That's this truck.

Price Updated, oil tests inserted, last test 2 weeks before I had the HG done.

Hey Folks,

1996 Landcruiser for sale in Brattleboro VT:

Selling my Landcruiser to get something more suited to work commuting, fuel efficiency and is less “Overlandy” The vehicle has been driven from Maine all over North America from Florida to Deadhorse and everywhere in between over the past 4 years. It’s not pretty, it’s got some rust, dents, and recently got rear-ended mildly but enough to damage the exhaust and hurt the rusty quarter panel. It does need some love to roadworthy again…but I am tired of working on it and want to move on to the next chapter of my life. I love this truck…but someone else can love it more.

The good; All done in the last year 15,000mi

-Head Gasket job at Landcruiser Heaven It did not blow with the exception of a few bubbles in overflow. 4000mi ago. $1500
-Injectors cleaned and serviced
-New Radiator in Phoenix $900
-Witsend cooling fan clutch $300
-the rest of the cooling system done and flushed every year
-Birfs serviced about 30k ago,
-OME Springs all around, Toyota front shocks, random rear shocks, think rancho and Monroe?
-New Master cylinder, and brakes bled
-Oil changed every 10k with Rotella T6 synthetic and Toyota filter.
-Cold AC lol
-Witsend console Safe
-a PILE of oil analysis

The bad

-Ebrakes don't work right
Aux battery does not hold up as well as it should
Inside rough, dirty, some stains from the travel
The windshield has dings from Alaska, Idaho, Northwest Territories and Labrador
Body has rust here and there and patchwork. Nothing severe into the cab…but not going to deny it's there
Needs Muffler.
No carbon filter so a constant fuel smell.
Tires have 58k on them and have some life left
Missing a hubcap
Rear wiper and washer does not work.
Rear heat system gone
Various oil leaks including the RMS which has been that way since I started driving it at 190,000

Options:
$800 Prinsu Rack
$2000+ ARB Draw system
$500 ARB front bumper
$1000 WARN 8000 winch and synthetic line with solid state controller under the hood.
Locking diff switch.
All seats,
USB outlets throughout including a 120vinverter
Kenwood stereo.
$300 National Luna Dual battery system.
Yellow and white fogs wired with rigid harnesses and waterproof relays.

$8000 is my preferred price but willing to work with anyone on a trade. Looking for a Safari/Express van, Landrover, Newer Landcruiser, Ford E van, Hilux, possibly a Taco or Tundra

Autohome Maggiolina if wanted; $3000 additional

265,800+ miles.

Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 12.40.22.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 13.56.27.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 08.48.00.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-27 at 07.52.07.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-27 at 07.51.05.png

Last edited:
Looks like you had a great run with the 80. Met you at VOR a few years back. Good luck with the sale and moving on.

Best I can find right now...this was last fall. It's not clean for sure but is still solid. It has been slathered with fluid film since I bought it. Rust is an issue....but not bad enough to cause any issues in the past 60k+ miles I have traveled. Every year it got a brush down and reslathering

Looking at these photos..reminds me. It has a new fuel filler pipe and tire crank mechanism. It also had the oil seal on the distributor done :)

Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 17.43.05.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 17.42.48.png

Last edited:
Looks like you had a great run with the 80. Met you at VOR a few years back. Good luck with the sale and moving on.
We did buddy, it was great, filled with a LOT of adventure, hardship, fun and sadness. Changed a lot since then. Would love to have a beer sometime and tell you about it. shoot me an email if you are ever in brattleboro

Hey All, Just dropped the price 2K. Would like to move this as soon as I can. What I'm asking is what the accessories are worth. Don't be a dink though and email asking with I will sell the snorkel or bumper :rolleyes:. and make the vehicle unsellable. The best will be the ARB draws in the back and YOU will have to come and remove them. If this does not sell I will probably be trading it in to a dealer on a subaru or to the Landcruiser place in NH if they want it. Let me know ASAP

5 years when I bought this vehicle I had subscribed to the typical "buy an adventure" that Overland Expo and others promote. I bought a crap load of gear I did not need and went crazy outfitting myself. I got the Landcruiser because it was the "cool" and "unstoppable" vehicle that all the cool kids were driving everywhere. I do hate to admit this....they were right in this regard, but not saying that to sell this truck. The reality is I paid $2500 bucks for this truck 4 years ago, dropped about another $10k in maintenance and gear and just had a HELL of an adventure traveling all over North America. I have been places and seen things that people who spend $50k+ don't see because they have to work to make the payments on their fancy trucks. I can guarantee you that you do not need the triple locking diffs, 3" lifts, oversized tires, or much of what you are sold. You just need a truck, common sense, a tiny bit of money and a passion for adventure. Not going to point out or disparage anyone else's rigs...but really save the money and just buy something that works. If 6K is too much, make me any fair offer. I would rather see this truck used than scrapped as it deserves so much better than that.

Sounds like the rig is a little rough. It would help me (and possibly other perspective buyers) to get current pictures on the condition of your rig as it sits today. Some close up pictures of the body rust and current undercarriage pics would be key. That way we can assess how much cost would go into fixing the issues.

Rustoleum works wonders. Just use the kind that comes in a bottle that you brush on. It’s white and when it dries on rust it turns black. If not rust it almost dries clear. Brush some on and rust will not be a non issue.

Last edited:
The rust you show is superficial. Easily fixable. If they can move a paint brush up and down to paint. They can fix. Good luck with sale.

Last edited:
What doesn't make sense to me is why you'd be getting offers from a scrapper or cruiserparts if your rig was actually solid. If the frame is as it looks in your old pictures posted above, there aren't any rust issues at all. Why not just post some current photos with all the relevant information needed... the good, the bad and the ugly. I bet, if you did that, you'd generate a lot more interest because people would worry less about getting mislead and buying a total heap. That's the boat I'm in. I don't need another cruiser but am always open to buying another one. Post up some pictures and let me see the current condition of the interior, exterior, engine bay and underbody.

What doesn't make sense to me is why you'd be getting offers from a scrapper or cruiserparts if your rig was actually solid. If the frame is as it looks in your old pictures posted above, there aren't any rust issues at all. Why not just post some current photos with all the relevant information needed... the good, the bad and the ugly. I bet, if you did that, you'd generate a lot more interest because people would worry less about getting mislead and buying a total heap. That's the boat I'm in. I don't need another cruiser but am always open to buying another one. Post up some pictures and let me see the current condition of the interior, exterior, engine bay and underbody.

Ok 😁

List it on ebay for free. I think it’s still free. Bigger audience and mostly likely weed out the tire kickers fast. Some people don’t understand value. If I wanted to buy a steel front bumper most shops want $1,500 plus tax and shipping. Those rear cargo pull out shelves/drawers would cost me close to $2,500-3,500 plus tax and shipping. That roof rack would cost me $1,200+ plus tax and shipping. Essentially getting a free land cruiser for $6,000. It’s just annoying to read people nit pick ads to try and haggle or leverage price down etc.
I know, tell me about it. People from the SW who think rust will leave you stranded, and get scared etc etc. I got so tired when I worked for Overland Expo seeing "overlanders" spending big $$$$$$ on crap and vehicles they did not need when I was able to take this old truck all over the continent with very few issues. Honestly when I took it to the shop yesturday to see what I needed for the VT inspection, he said exhaust, the rest of the truck was in great shape.

Finally, i dont understand the need for 3x lockers and immaculate trucks....sure it's nice but if really travelling and exploring you don't want a perfect vehicle, and i never saw the need for lockers and I spent 60% of time on the dirt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom