1996 Landcruiser, 300k miles, $3500...good purchase??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m considering the purchase of a 1996 with 300k miles. According to the second owner the rig has not seen any off road action, and has hauled more kids and groceries than anything else. Haven’t seen the maintenance records yet, but I’m sure there will be some issues to address.

Any insights on what to expect with 300k miles?

Also, wish this website was available when I had my 1985 FJ60s. Great forums and info!

Thanks l!

Welcome aboard

$3500 sounds good but hard to say without some pics to comment on.

Any body rust or undercarriage rust? interior in good shape? head gasket been replaced?

Thanks for the welcome.

I haven’t reviewed the maintenance/R&R records or taken a look at it in person, yet. The pics I’ve seen show a couple of small rust spots on the upper tailgate section, at the bottom of the window. Hard to tell if there are other rust spots anywhere else on the body, but looks pretty clean.

No pics of the undercarriage at this point, but I have requested some and should be getting them soon.

The interior looks clean and in relatively good shape for age. No cracks in leather seats, dash, etc.
I’ll try to share more pics if/when received and hopefully I’ll have had a chance to see it in person by then so I can share more details.

For now just wondering what issues I might expect for this model and some good questions to ask.

I’ve had several with between 250,000 and 300,000 miles, they ran fine. I have zero experience with rust so I won’t comment on that.
The price is not a bad starting point.
Major maintenance items needed should come off of that price.
If it does need a motor, those can get expensive. Used motors are getting harder to find and rebuilt ones can put you into $6K +.
Should not put that type of money into a truck that is not super clean with triple lockers.

@SSI Landcruiser this a local rig (I stay in Darien)? If it doesn't have frame rust thats a plus! The hatch normally rust in that area on these, roof rack and spoiler are areas to look out for to. Besides that check for coolant leaks, conditions of your hoses.. ask about the head gasket, really all I can think of. Expect oil leaks from the oil pump cover and valve cover gasket. If it drives good I say its worth it for a fun rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom