1996 land cruiser stalling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok I’m new to this forum. But I have a 1996 fj 80 and it keeps choking out. It’s great around town but uphill and after a few minutes on the highway it starts to stall. But I’ve done everything I can I’ve replaced everything from spark plugs to fuel filters, fuel pump, vacuum lines, and it still stalls. Any other ideas?

E32B0CE5-4FF0-43AD-8A49-2A7CC001BC4D.png

62C4F760-28CF-4883-A6A7-5071703CE24E.jpeg

Any trouble codes present?

So....the vehicle will start and idle fine right? You say it will run fine just motoring around town (no issues at all)?

If the vehicle only stalls under certain conditions then finding the reason might not be an easy undertaking.

Clearly.... it needs to be established whether the cause is Fuel or Spark related (to include any sensors, etc).

A more detailed accounting of how the vehicle acts when stalling might be helpful.

Does it just outright 'die' when it happens or does it sputter (get gradually worse then die)?

Will it restart immediately afterward?

Did you replace the fuel pump with an OEM (Aisin) or cheap aftermarket?

Are you able/willing to look for possible issues yourself or will this be a take it to a mechanic thing?

Ok I’m new to this forum. But I have a 1996 fj 80 and it keeps choking out. It’s great around town but uphill and after a few minutes on the highway it starts to stall. But I’ve done everything I can I’ve replaced everything from spark plugs to fuel filters, fuel pump, vacuum lines, and it still stalls. Any other ideas?

Have you checked the intake tube for possible cracks? Under load the engine can rotate enough to open up a crack in that tube allowing unmetered air into the engine. Another possibility could be damaged wires from heat in the main wiring harness where it passes the EGR. There is a clip on the firewall that supports the harness but when it fails it allows the harness to contact the pipe connecting the EGR burning/melting the wires inside. The harness needs to be opened and checked not just an exterior examination. Lots of pictures and info if you search the forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom