1996 Land Cruiser; no more issue, thanks all (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You could cut a little off the end of the hose to get a new clamping surface. Looks like you have enough slack in the hose.

Throw a clamp on it and enjoy your vacation. When you get home, replace the hose and spring clips. Easy.

Replacing the hose and clamp - easy peasy for sure!

It's assuming that's what the issue is cause it could be leaking elsewhere (and I'm too blind to see it). It's why I asked if I was silly for asking about elevation changes.

My Tacoma took me everywhere, but as soon as I took the Grapevine it spewed ATF all over from the pan. Funny how stuff just happens on a trip.

You could cut a little off the end of the hose to get a new clamping surface. Looks like you have enough slack in the hose.

Member is bringing a hose and clamp! A factory hose.

The previous owner had cut this one already and it's laughable I never noticed!

Appreciate everyone's willingness to answer my ridiculous theory and offer to help.

It's assuming that's what the issue is cause it could be leaking elsewhere (and I'm too blind to see it).
You're overworrying again. You found the source of they leak, and now you're going to fix it. Of course keep an eye on things after that, but it's just really unlikely that the leak is a sign of some other bigger problem.

Hoses leak eventually, especially if they've been messed with in the past. :meh:

Just make sure the nipple on the radiator isn't cracked. it's a common issue.

You're overworrying again. You found the source of they leak, and now you're going to fix it. Of course keep an eye on things after that, but it's just really unlikely that the leak is a sign of some other bigger problem.

Hoses leak eventually, especially if they've been messed with in the past. :meh:

Yeah, definitely overthinking it.

Keep in mind I've got someone in my other ear so that only added to it!

Just make sure the nipple on the radiator isn't cracked. it's a common issue.

Doesn't look like it fortunately.

OEM rads still available? Are they Denso, Harison?

I had a 3rd Gen 4R and 1st Gen Taco before this LC. Just don't work much on vehicles on account of a horrible back.

Doesn't look like it fortunately.

OEM rads still available? Are they Denso, Harison?

I had a 3rd Gen 4R and 1st Gen Taco before this LC. Just don't work much on vehicles on account of a horrible back.
OEM Rad's are available. They are TRad.

OEM Rad's are available. They are TRad.

Those of you talking about the nipple were right; it's broken at a clean 45 degree angle. The whole length is present, on top. But pulling off the hose completely exposes where the bottom is chopped off.

New hose and clamp definitely hold up better than the old as that thing was stiff as plastic.

20221112_112913.jpg

The old is so stiff you can bend it like metal rod not to mention both ends are flared like hell.

20221112_112935.jpg

Will need to get another hose clamp I can use temporarily that'll provide tension up against the radiator.

Thank you @Cruzingcruiser for coming out with new coolant, hose, and clamp. Going to be ordering a new radiator shortly.

I put in a OEM radiator in February.
Easy peasy.
When in doubt, pull it out (that's not what I meant)

Being away from my tools (and fluids) and being hours away from home was the real enemy here.

Looking forward to throwing in a new radiator for sure. That and *finally* replacing the steering hoses I got from Wit's End some months back.

Those of you talking about the nipple were right; it's broken at a clean 45 degree angle. The whole length is present, on top. But pulling off the hose completely exposes where the bottom is chopped off.

New hose and clamp definitely hold up better than the old as that thing was stiff as plastic.

View attachment 3166062

The old is so stiff you can bend it like metal rod not to mention both ends are flared like hell.

View attachment 3166063

Will need to get another hose clamp I can use temporarily that'll provide tension up against the radiator.

Thank you @Cruzingcruiser for coming out with new coolant, hose, and clamp. Going to be ordering a new radiator shortly.
You're welcome! Glad I was able to help a veteran out this weekend!

Being away from my tools (and fluids) and being hours away from home was the real enemy here.

Looking forward to throwing in a new radiator for sure. That and *finally* replacing the steering hoses I got from Wit's End some months back.
To get you by, you can shove a hose nipple in there and epoxy it in or even epoxy what you have until your new radiator comes in.

Then get your new Nipple Protector from @Outsane

Yeah that clamp is worthless. But it doesn't help that the hose feels like a hard plastic too. There's a Napa some ways away which I'll hit up when we grab lunch.

Trying to minimize driving as much as possible.
You might make a little mess but I would try and replace the whole hose.

FYI, FSM calls this the "No.3 Water Bypass Hose". It's a steam vent off of the Throttle Body.

16683048744841401950893.jpg

Yup...it's one one of those little things that you never knew you needed until you need one! Thanks @Outsane for another cool fix...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom