1996 Land Cruiser EV Conversion - EVJ80 Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What's the goal with all the showing it at shows and traveling all over? Is this moving towards a commercial endeavor?

Congratulations! The regulatory side of this is really pretty key. Can I ask what have you got the range up to now? And are you thinking about whether it's practical to drive to these events or whether you still have to trailer?
It turned out the regs part was the easy part haha. Other jurisdictions have different and sometimes more stringent regs but luckily CO is not difficult at all. Some I will drive to, some I will definitely have to trailer to. This year I'm planning to add a 2nd battery pack which will make some of the front range trails in CO within reach of my house.

What's the goal with all the showing it at shows and traveling all over? Is this moving towards a commercial endeavor?
To test it out and show it off! I didn't build it to just sit there! I do want to do something with EV conversions, not sure if it's working for myself or someone else. But this year is mostly about showing it off and driving it as much as possible in cool places.

Incredibly inspiring. Can't wait to see it someday
I am leaning towards going to the Texas Cruiser Roundup. I'm not totally confirmed yet but I've heard it's a great event and location.

I took it to Cars & Coffee today in Lafayette and met up with the Drive Electric CO folks. Got to park next to a Rivian. Tons of questions and everyone was positive!

pMvlaKt.jpg

pqvbShf.jpg

opUcI9V.jpg

Cue Australian voice "that's not a truck..."

I love this project - just came across the TFL interview on YT and figured you were on here. Since I am mainly the in the 120/GXOR forum, I hadn't seen your thread.

One reason I love it is it gives hope to all of us that we can keep these vehicles wheeling into the new era.

I'm packing up and getting ready to head to southern Utah for the Offroad Wrecker Games at Sand Hollow. So excited to get the EV80 out on the sand and rocks. It looks like such a gnarly, awesome place. Tons and tons of obstacles close by the highway which is great for EV! I've never been there before. I plan on watching the wrecker games and meeting the gang and everything but also I want to do some wheeling! Any other Toyota guys going who wants to run some trails?

I'm back at Cruise Moab again this year. Just completed Hell's Revenge trail and did Hell's Gate also. Definitely the toughest trail I've taken the EV 80 on so far! I'm am really impressed with this thing, the performance is truly amazing. It has taken every obstacle in one go.

IMG_20230420_125400.jpg

I'm back at Cruise Moab again this year. Just completed Hell's Revenge trail and did Hell's Gate also. Definitely the toughest trail I've taken the EV 80 on so far! I'm am really impressed with this thing, the performance is truly amazing. It has taken every obstacle in one go.

View attachment 3303248
Still got the single battery?

Last edited:
Reactions: PIP
Were you able to achieve regen braking?
Yes, absolutely! I can choose from 3 levels of regen. On the highest setting it is like engine braking in 1st gear in low range, I can do most of the descents without even touching the brake pedal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom