Builds 1996 KZJ78W Land Cruiser Prado (J78) Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I'll soon take delivery of a 1996 J78 Prado, pictured below. This will be my second Land Cruiser (I had an FJ62 that I bought from a member here and sold several years later). I wanted to get some advice from everyone as far as the next steps to complete with this build, mainly for preventative and diagnostic maintenance.

As you can see, it's really clean - only 99k kilometers/61.5k miles on the odometer and it was rated a 4 on the auction sheet. Underbody and jambs are in excellent shape, no rust anywhere. Color code is 26Z (emerald/oyster) although it looks black/silver in the pics.

The timing belt was replaced at 87,000 km.

As far as what I'm doing next - Preventative maintenance is my chief priority: I want to make sure this thing is running properly and will continue to do so for its next 100km. Thus;

1) I'm going to get all the fluids changed when it gets stateside.
2) I've ordered a 1KZ-TE EGR delete kit from Vanlife Northwest that I plan on installing.
3) I'm strongly considering the Dobinson's stock height restoration lift kit.
4) Wheels and tire are in the cards for the future, but not right away.
5) I plan on having my shop check the head (and replace the head gasket while they are there as a preventative measure). Is there a way of determining whether the head has any issues without paying for the labor of tearing the engine down? Do I just suck it up and replace the head or do I wait until I notice possible issues?
6) I'm thinking about upgrading the radiator to combat the overheating issues that seem to plague the 1KZ-TE.

Does anyone have any comments on the above or any suggestions on additional maintenance items that need to be addressed?

Mods? I will not be offroading other than on the beach. I'm in Florida - the only rocks in this great state are the ones you buy under the overpass for $10 each. When the tires get replaced eventually, I'd like to outfit this with a set of the black wheels with the chrome hubs that I see often on builds here. Any leads on those wheels and suggested tire sizes?

I'll keep everyone posted as we move along!

DSCN1751.JPG

DSCN1750.JPG

DSCN1752.JPG

DSCN1748.JPG

DSCN1747.JPG

Welcome! The rig you purchased looks great, engine bay is super clean!

EGR delete is a must, even with low miles on the engine, you'd be surprised at how much soot is in the intake manifold from the EGR system. I think the kit you bought is already tapped for an EGT sensor, which would be convenient if you decide to install a pyrometer at the same time as removing the EGR system.

I've ordered the Dobinson's stock height kit for my LJ71. Going on two months waiting now - I was quoted a 3 month lead time for the stock height springs. The shocks are in stock, though. Since I don't have them yet, I can only share my logic. I chose the Dobinsons Stock Height kit for my LJ71 since I'm not looking to lift too high, but I did need new suspension as the truck was quite droopy and leaning to one side when I picked it up at the port. So I know the stock height restoration kit will noticeably lift the LJ71 from where it currently sits, and that would be sufficient enough for me. Additionally, there aren't many other popular options other than Dobinsons, ARB/OME, and Ironman. I previously had ARB/OME on my LJ78 and after the springs settled, the front rake wasn't too pleasant.

I think for your 1KZ-TE, a head replacement can wait. As far as I know, there's no way to check if you have a replacement head installed on your engine, but they are much less of an issue than on the 2LTE. You can install an aforementioned pyrometer as well as a boost gauge at the same time to monitor engine vitals. An intercooler will help keep the head cool and a larger 3" exhaust will be good too.

Cooling upgrades I would say could focus on a fan clutch rebuild/relube, a lower temp thermostat (Tridon 82C or the OEM equivalent), and a coolant drain & fill with non-diluted Toyota Red Coolant . I think the fans on these Prados are more of an issue than the radiators themselves, and the items above would be cheaper than an aluminum rad. Intercooler would be a better investment I think!

Your OEM wheels look nice! They even look mint and uncorroded as well! Many folks here run 235/85R-16 tires, myself included. However, that size is more fit for the narrow-body models without the flares. You could run 33x10.5 with the flares and it will look good along with the Dobinson's stock height kit. Looking forward to seeing more of your KZJ!

Welcome! The rig you purchased looks great, engine bay is super clean!

EGR delete is a must, even with low miles on the engine, you'd be surprised at how much soot is in the intake manifold from the EGR system. I think the kit you bought is already tapped for an EGT sensor, which would be convenient if you decide to install a pyrometer at the same time as removing the EGR system.

I've ordered the Dobinson's stock height kit for my LJ71. Going on two months waiting now - I was quoted a 3 month lead time for the stock height springs. The shocks are in stock, though. Since I don't have them yet, I can only share my logic. I chose the Dobinsons Stock Height kit for my LJ71 since I'm not looking to lift too high, but I did need new suspension as the truck was quite droopy and leaning to one side when I picked it up at the port. So I know the stock height restoration kit will noticeably lift the LJ71 from where it currently sits, and that would be sufficient enough for me. Additionally, there aren't many other popular options other than Dobinsons, ARB/OME, and Ironman. I previously had ARB/OME on my LJ78 and after the springs settled, the front rake wasn't too pleasant.

I think for your 1KZ-TE, a head replacement can wait. As far as I know, there's no way to check if you have a replacement head installed on your engine, but they are much less of an issue than on the 2LTE. You can install an aforementioned pyrometer as well as a boost gauge at the same time to monitor engine vitals. An intercooler will help keep the head cool and a larger 3" exhaust will be good too.

Cooling upgrades I would say could focus on a fan clutch rebuild/relube, a lower temp thermostat (Tridon 82C or the OEM equivalent), and a coolant drain & fill with non-diluted Toyota Red Coolant . I think the fans on these Prados are more of an issue than the radiators themselves, and the items above would be cheaper than an aluminum rad. Intercooler would be a better investment I think!

Your OEM wheels look nice! They even look mint and uncorroded as well! Many folks here run 235/85R-16 tires, myself included. However, that size is more fit for the narrow-body models without the flares. You could run 33x10.5 with the flares and it will look good along with the Dobinson's stock height kit. Looking forward to seeing more of your KZJ!
Misterclean, thanks for this thorough and helpful reply!

Where do I get an intercooler for this engine? Is it a difficult install?

Noted on the fan clutch rebuild/relube and thermostat and coolant drain/refill.

I don't want too much wheel - I'm not offroading, but I would like to fill out those flares a little. I'll try to find pics of the 33x10.5 to see how those look if there's someone with a J78W who has pics.

Thank you again!

I actually love this lift/wheel/tire combo from @Maccuscharlie - who makes the wheels? According to his post with this pic, tires are 32s.

9e1c88fd-297c-488b-bcbe-5a3a0103695e-png.2928329
They’re just a set of steel wheels from an fj40, there’re some companies out there that have brand new ones in stock. And yes tires are 32x11.5, great size and the falken at3s are the best imo.

I don't want too much wheel - I'm not offroading, but I would like to fill out those flares a little. I'll try to find pics of the 33x10.5 to see how those look if there's someone with a J78W who has pics.

Thank you again!
I’ve never had an overheating issue, but ive searched everywhere for an intercooler setup for this thing (just for preventive Maintenance), and there’s really no options out there. People have custom fab’d some on the front, but u most likely have to sacrifice AC. The later 1KZs came with top mount intercoolers but as far as I know, that’s not an option on these because of clearence above the engine. You’d need to do a body lift and a hood scoop to fit the intercooler and fan above the engine. You’re probably fine just upgrading all the other cooling components and being okay slowing below 65 mph up a hill :)

To my knowledge there are no off the shelf options for intercoolers for a KZJ78, you would have to do a custom job. Front mount air-to-air is great for efficiency, but there isn't much room to run piping and mount an intercooler core without getting rid of the AC system, like @Maccuscharlie said. Water-to-air would be a little more complicated from an install standpoint, but much easier to fit in the engine bay and still has good efficiency. Top mount air-to-air is probably the easiest to install, but IMO not worth it given the heat soak issues those tend to have and the fact that it requires cutting a hole in the hood for a scoop.

Thank you again!

The intercooler will have to be custom like @Maccuscharlie said. A few members here have done front mounts and some have even completed the job without welding any of the pipes. Here's a thread for inspiration: KZJ71 Front Mount Intercooler - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/kzj71-front-mount-intercooler.1244983/

I think if you just want an OEM+ look, 32s would look phenomenal on any 16" wheel you end up choosing. Looking forward to seeing pics of it landed in the US!

Hey everyone,

I'll soon take delivery of a 1996 J78 Prado, pictured below. This will be my second Land Cruiser (I had an FJ62 that I bought from a member here and sold several years later). I wanted to get some advice from everyone as far as the next steps to complete with this build, mainly for preventative and diagnostic maintenance.

As you can see, it's really clean - only 99k kilometers/61.5k miles on the odometer and it was rated a 4 on the auction sheet. Underbody and jambs are in excellent shape, no rust anywhere. Color code is 26Z (emerald/oyster) although it looks black/silver in the pics.

The timing belt was replaced at 87,000 km.

As far as what I'm doing next - Preventative maintenance is my chief priority: I want to make sure this thing is running properly and will continue to do so for its next 100km. Thus;

1) I'm going to get all the fluids changed when it gets stateside.
2) I've ordered a 1KZ-TE EGR delete kit from Vanlife Northwest that I plan on installing.
3) I'm strongly considering the Dobinson's stock height restoration lift kit.
4) Wheels and tire are in the cards for the future, but not right away.
5) I plan on having my shop check the head (and replace the head gasket while they are there as a preventative measure). Is there a way of determining whether the head has any issues without paying for the labor of tearing the engine down? Do I just suck it up and replace the head or do I wait until I notice possible issues?
6) I'm thinking about upgrading the radiator to combat the overheating issues that seem to plague the 1KZ-TE.

Does anyone have any comments on the above or any suggestions on additional maintenance items that need to be addressed?

Mods? I will not be offroading other than on the beach. I'm in Florida - the only rocks in this great state are the ones you buy under the overpass for $10 each. When the tires get replaced eventually, I'd like to outfit this with a set of the black wheels with the chrome hubs that I see often on builds here. Any leads on those wheels and suggested tire sizes?

I'll keep everyone posted as we move along!

View attachment 3278643

View attachment 3278647

View attachment 3278656

View attachment 3278645

View attachment 3278644
Man that looks great!

This is what I’m doing, there’s no kit for it at the market . Even the stock 1kz intercooler is hard to find . But then it’s not cost effective process as well.

1E19F0C8-2165-445D-BB3A-008FF8A42CD7.jpeg

The truck finally arrived! The shop said it looks mint. Unfortunately I’m out of town for a couple of weeks for work, but that’ll give the shop enough time to look it over and give it an undercoat. I’ll keep everyone posted.

70420845192__8ECFC14A-1ADE-4C7E-949F-C080ED781F0E.jpeg
70420848084__08ED8FC9-7682-4BB2-9542-230E98CC8BD2.jpeg
70420849674__F0234F76-7634-45C1-B6E0-5A6D23B306A7.jpeg

I finally picked it up yesterday. I had all my paperwork in order so the DMV was only a slight hassle, but I got it all taken care of in one trip. I am in utter disbelief about the condition of this vehicle. 99,000 km, but it looks like half that. The interior is like new. My mechanic installed the EGR delete kit, and changed all the fluids. It already had a timing belt replaced about 20,000 km ago.

I spent about three or four hours yesterday polishing off the old wax, using a razor to get all the grease pen and stickers off of the windows, detailing the interior, and putting a fresh coat of wax on it right before I took these pictures at Fort Pickens.

Now, I’m trying to decide if I’m going to go with a 2 inch lift, if I’m going to change wheels and tires, or if I’m just not going to mess with it at all. Your opinions would be appreciated.

20230511-200131812.jpeg
20230511-200051740.jpeg
20230511-195951116.jpeg
20230511-200021518.jpeg

I finally picked it up yesterday. I had all my paperwork in order so the DMV was only a slight hassle, but I got it all taken care of in one trip. I am in utter disbelief about the condition of this vehicle. 99,000 km, but it looks like half that. The interior is like new. My mechanic installed the EGR delete kit, and changed all the fluids. It already had a timing belt replaced about 20,000 km ago.

I spent about three or four hours yesterday polishing off the old wax, using a razor to get all the grease pen and stickers off of the windows, detailing the interior, and putting a fresh coat of wax on it right before I took these pictures at Fort Pickens.

Now, I’m trying to decide if I’m going to go with a 2 inch lift, if I’m going to change wheels and tires, or if I’m just not going to mess with it at all. Your opinions would be appreciated.

View attachment 3321155View attachment 3321156View attachment 3321157View attachment 3321159
Cleans and waxes black cruiser... immediately takes to dirt road for pictures! :bang:

Current wheel and tire setup looks good, maybe take some time to see if you like how it is now before deciding to go with a lift?

View attachment 3321155View attachment 3321156View attachment 3321157View attachment 3321159
P.M. sent

Cleans and waxes black cruiser... immediately takes to dirt road for pictures! :bang:

Current wheel and tire setup looks good, maybe take some time to see if you like how it is now before deciding to go with a lift?
Ha. 26Z color code, that’s actually dark emerald. When I do a polish and wax with the buffer, dust doesn’t stick!

Ha. 26Z color code, that’s actually dark emerald. When I do a polish and wax with the buffer, dust doesn’t stick!
It's a beautiful colour and you did a fantastic job on refreshing it. The whole package looks great. I think those wheels are the best!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom