Builds 1996 KZJ78 Family Wagon Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The shape of the wheel at least on the 16" ones I have, conflicted with the front brake caliper. So, I was still able to use them but ONLY with the spider Trax 1.5" wheel spacers as explained in my post. I think this is somewhat common on any aftermarket wheel for these vehicles so you might as well order some spacers too.
Thanks...happen to know what the offset was on the vision wheels?

@pbratten

Sure,

This is the exact one I bought, it does have a -12 mm offset. I had to use wheel spacers for them to work due to the shape of the inner lip around the lug bolt holes. If you have the factory flares, you kind of need them to stick out more to look right anyway so it works.

Vision D Window Steel Wheel
  • Size: 16" x 8"
  • Bolt Pattern: 6 x 5.50"
  • Back Spacing: 4.00"
  • Offset: -12 mm
  • Center Bore: 4.25"
  • Load Rating: 2100 lbs.
  • Finish: Powder Coated Black

JEGS has the wheels here for a decent price: JEGS 681034: D Window Wheel [Size: 16" x 8"] Black - JEGS High Performance - https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/681034/10002/-1?trk_msg=BV3PF1G6GA2KL8AA2Q302T7AR0&trk_contact=FQ49UI3LCF4MK40RLSJJT0P734&trk_module=tra&trk_sid=8P2V3BUDGEE8A1GFOS7NPI30GO&trk_link=MJNAH60D4VBKRCGMVGDLO9EFHK&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Product&utm_campaign=Transactional&utm_content=Order+Confirmation

Spidertrax wheel spacers (2 sets required) here: Amazon product ASIN B00BGRDMOM
wheel.jpg

spacers.jpg

@pbratten

Sure,

This is the exact one I bought, it does have a -12 mm offset. I had to use wheel spacers for them to work due to the shape of the inner lip around the lug bolt holes. If you have the factory flares, you kind of need them to stick out more to look right anyway so it works.

Vision D Window Steel Wheel
  • Size: 16" x 8"
  • Bolt Pattern: 6 x 5.50"
  • Back Spacing: 4.00"
  • Offset: -12 mm
  • Center Bore: 4.25"
  • Load Rating: 2100 lbs.
  • Finish: Powder Coated Black

JEGS has the wheels here for a decent price: JEGS 681034: D Window Wheel [Size: 16" x 8"] Black - JEGS High Performance - https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/681034/10002/-1?trk_msg=BV3PF1G6GA2KL8AA2Q302T7AR0&trk_contact=FQ49UI3LCF4MK40RLSJJT0P734&trk_module=tra&trk_sid=8P2V3BUDGEE8A1GFOS7NPI30GO&trk_link=MJNAH60D4VBKRCGMVGDLO9EFHK&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Product&utm_campaign=Transactional&utm_content=Order+Confirmation

Spidertrax wheel spacers (2 sets required) here: Amazon product ASIN B00BGRDMOM
View attachment 3022644

View attachment 3022646
If you have not ordered all this yet, I wish I would have had my Land Cruiser in hand before ordering my wheels. Mostly because I would have liked to special order an offset for the back two wheels to correct the 3/4" narrower rear axle in the back, and have the wheels sit where you actually want without the use of spacers. The down side to this is you cannot rotate your rear tires to the front, but it eliminates the need for spacers at all...

Just a thought! :cheers:

If you have not ordered all this yet, I wish I would have had my Land Cruiser in hand before ordering my wheels. Mostly because I would have liked to special order an offset for the back two wheels to correct the 3/4" narrower rear axle in the back, and have the wheels sit where you actually want without the use of spacers. The down side to this is you cannot rotate your rear tires to the front, but it eliminates the need for spacers at all...

Just a thought! :cheers:
Good to know!

@Rigster not sure that narrower rear axle thing applies to these up to 1996 JDM prados we are starting to get in the states, my understanding is later models, toyota had to widen the front axle track to make room for bigger engines but they just left the rear axle as is. I could be wrong tho, of course.

Last edited:
My recent fender refurb started with noticing some cracking and disappearance of the fender gaskets on the KZJ78. Since I had to remove the fenders to replace the gasketing, I figured it was a good time to fix the 2 tone paint that I'm not a big fan of. Photos below are before/after. I am still working on the side steps, cleaning up some broken bolts and rusty brackets before reinstallation.

prado ironman lift.jpg

kzj respray.jpg

My recent fender refurb started with noticing some cracking and disappearance of the fender gaskets on the KZJ78. Since I had to remove the fenders to replace the gasketing, I figured it was a good time to fix the 2 tone paint that I'm not a big fan of. Photos below are before/after. I am still working on the side steps, cleaning up some broken bolts and rusty brackets before reinstallation.

View attachment 3235163

View attachment 3235164
Looks like you got that snorkel installed! looks good!!

Upon fender removal, I noticed some of the brackets were in excellent shape and some were very rusty. I drilled most of them out and rust treated/painted before reinstalling. Resprayed the fenders a Toyota Pewter grey color, refinished the rockers to match midnight blue and on reinstallation of fenders used the updated rear mudguard from Toyota.

KZJ fender refurb.jpg

fender respray.jpg

rocker respray.jpg

mudflap upgrade.jpg

Updated mudguard part numbers below.

Last edited:
With solid guidance from @Roastchestnuts I ordered a raised air intake from CruiserParts.Net that is a factory take off for around $100 which is a great deal compared to purchasing new OEM. Some of the internal parts had to be ordered and the fitment to the airbox is still under construction but I'm confident It will be a success. It was pointed out to me, this style snorkel allows you to retain your indicator lamp as well as the Land Cruiser logo on the fender of the KZJ78. This raised air intake from a VDJ7X fits the body lines quite well actually. Nut-serts made the main part of the installation a snap.

Link: https://shop.cruiserparts.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=44_7643&products_id=66056

snorkel.jpg

Last edited:
I've kind of been using this rig, (I don't know who it belongs to) for inspiration even though its a different year/model. The mud tires aren't cutting it for our Wyoming winters so I found this 5th gen 4runner wheel to be easy to find, cheap and a great alternative for a winter set of wheels/tires. The style I think looks ok with the 70 series body lines as well. The vehicle handles so much better now on snowy roads.

70 Series grey bumper.jpg

KZJ wheels.jpg

Last edited:
I've kind of been using this rig, (I don't know who it belongs to) for inspiration even though its a different year/model. The mud tires aren't cutting it for our Wyoming winters so I found this 5th gen 4runner wheel to be easy to find, cheap and a great alternative for a winter set of wheels/tires. The style I think looks ok with the 70 series body lines as well. The vehicle handles so much better now on snowy roads.

View attachment 3235206

View attachment 3235208
Just here for all this cat content.

Jokes aside, nice '78 build! It's coming along great.

Loving the single tone paint job, it looks a lot like a new GXL 76 in midnight blue.

Loving the single tone paint job, it looks a lot like a new GXL 76 in midnight blue.
Thanks, I agree! Sort of the goal, I guess you could say. Since we can't get the newer ones here. 2022 models are coming out with gloss black fender flares and wheels now, I like the charcoal/grey combo though.

Last edited:
Haha.... it DOES seem that those kittens like the PRADO as much as the family does!

This is a necessity when living in the country to keep the mice from making a home in the PRADO as well... :cheers:
I'm not a fan of cats for the most part, they are essential around the barnyard though. They do love the Prado. I always find them on the hood in the garage chillin by the vents where the heat from the engine escapes.

New Front Runner rear ladder installed. I'm normally a big fan of Front Runner products but this ladder is screwed together from mostly flat parts and feels a little flimsy compared to the welded stainless steel one I replaced. It still gets the job done but I hope it holds up to the abuse. The rubber runner on each step is nice to prevent slippage.

KZJ Ladder.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom