1996 intermittent no crank and once cranked while running on its own (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1996 80 series, last night after driving for about 10 minutes and parked, would not crank to start back up. This morning cranked up no problems. Has a new starter about a week ago. We have had no crank issues before but there was clicking like the starter solenoid was not going. Has a new start about a week ago. This is different, turn the key all the lights come on but no clicking at all. A month or so ago while it was idling starter engaged out of the blue without touching anything. That only happened once.

Last night when it would not start, jiggled the shifter, tried to start in neutral. nothing no click. This morning first turn started without issue.

I have read as many posts as I can, only thing I see is maybe the relay, but that does not explain why no problems today. Worried about getting stuck somewhere. Any tricks to do if stuck to get the starter to crank?

Is the new starter a new OEM Toyota or something you picked up at your local parts store? You may have gotten a remanufactured unit that was marginal to begin with or one previously returned by someone else. I would check the connections to a starter first followed by applying 12V directly to the starter solenoid and see what happens.

check connections on the neutral switch also. install or carry a jumper to get it to crank if it doesn't.

I have read as many posts as I can, only thing I see is maybe the relay, but that does not explain why no problems today.
US spec 80 Series do not have a starter relay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom