1996 FZJ80 - Cooling system issues after work done? (1 Viewer)

davidp14

SILVER Star
Fair enough. Me personally, I'd verify that the hg is gone myself. bare minimum.

It's not hard to do and won't cost you much. Just search here, there's a ton of threads detailing the process.

If you trust the shop and aren't able to do it yourself, and have the cash to spare, let them do it. Worst case scenario you did a PM head gasket change.

What about the diagnosis is suspect to you? It all fits with the symptoms I'm having, and I had a suspicion it may be going bad in the first place considering I had replaced almost everything else in the coolant system.

Apparently it was leaking enough on cylinders 3 and 6 that the cooling system was not able to get enough pressure to work the thermostat correctly. Hence the heat only partially coming out when I revved it up high.

I mean, I wasn't that surprised to hear that it was the HG...

I'm interested to to hear what you have to say.

What about the diagnosis is suspect to you? It all fits with the symptoms I'm having, and I had a suspicion it may be going bad in the first place considering I had replaced almost everything else in the coolant system.

Apparently it was leaking enough on cylinders 3 and 6 that the cooling system was not able to get enough pressure to work the thermostat correctly. Hence the heat only partially coming out when I revved it up high.

I mean, I wasn't that surprised to hear that it was the HG...

I'm interested to to hear what you have to say.
The thermostat doesn't work on pressure.

It works on TEMPERATURE. "Thermo" stat.

Sounds like air in the system.

Proper diagnosis and all.

Or parts cannon until something fixes it.

SmokingRocks

I bought a Cruiser to keep miles off my Cruiser
All of the info you've provided does not sound like a proper diagnosis. It sounds like guessing, and you wouldn't be the first who was convinced there was an HG problem only to spend the money, tear into it and find out the HG was fine.

Has a leak down test been performed? This is an easy test that you can do with a compressor and a rented tool from autozone. It will 100% verify or disprove an HG issue. Youtube it, eric the car guy has an easy-to-understand how-to video demonstrating how to run the test.

davidp14

SILVER Star
Or parts cannon until something fixes it.

this is usually my preferred method. 🤣
Not necessarily in this case though.

You've been given some solid advice form some seasoned mud members (not me) . It's worth what you paid for it though. Good luck

FMC80

GOLD Star
Do this test. I rented the tool free from auto zone and confirmed I had nothing to worry about. Took 60 seconds.
4266C755-2DAA-4696-B036-3F3870CB1796.jpeg

I went through this last year and would say, cover the basics first. If you got this truck just to make some quick money on Bring a Trailer :rolleyes: get ready to spend the dough. Otherwise, do your research and try to understand what is going on with it.

If you don't see blue smoke or a considerable amount of smoke in general coming out of the exhaust, checked the radiator and oil lids for weird gunk and haven't noticed loss in power while driving, you are being forked by the dealer which is not hard to happen these days with these trucks. It seems that you have air in the cooling system. Again, do your research and try to find a fix. These rigs are not difficult to service and maintain as long as you do your part.

Last edited:

SmokingRocks

I bought a Cruiser to keep miles off my Cruiser
If you're in Wenatche then talk with Carl over at Nitro not only is he the owner of Nitro Gear but he's a great guy and big cruiser head. He can point you to a good shop.

I was actually just in wenatchee a couple of weeks back for a vacation uplake on Chelan. Freaking love it there, been thinking about moving.

Lets hope its air in the system, and it is not common to have air in the system and will be an easy fix. If not, do the coolant test to confirm HG failure, then deduct 3-5k off your asking price and i am sure someone will bite consider changing HGs on these rigs are like replacing brake pads on here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom