1996 FZJ80 - Cooling system issues after work done? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fair enough. Me personally, I'd verify that the hg is gone myself. bare minimum.

It's not hard to do and won't cost you much. Just search here, there's a ton of threads detailing the process.

If you trust the shop and aren't able to do it yourself, and have the cash to spare, let them do it. Worst case scenario you did a PM head gasket change.

What about the diagnosis is suspect to you? It all fits with the symptoms I'm having, and I had a suspicion it may be going bad in the first place considering I had replaced almost everything else in the coolant system.

Apparently it was leaking enough on cylinders 3 and 6 that the cooling system was not able to get enough pressure to work the thermostat correctly. Hence the heat only partially coming out when I revved it up high.

I mean, I wasn't that surprised to hear that it was the HG...

I'm interested to to hear what you have to say.

What about the diagnosis is suspect to you? It all fits with the symptoms I'm having, and I had a suspicion it may be going bad in the first place considering I had replaced almost everything else in the coolant system.

Apparently it was leaking enough on cylinders 3 and 6 that the cooling system was not able to get enough pressure to work the thermostat correctly. Hence the heat only partially coming out when I revved it up high.

I mean, I wasn't that surprised to hear that it was the HG...

I'm interested to to hear what you have to say.
The thermostat doesn't work on pressure.

It works on TEMPERATURE. "Thermo" stat.

Sounds like air in the system.

Proper diagnosis and all.

Or parts cannon until something fixes it.

All of the info you've provided does not sound like a proper diagnosis. It sounds like guessing, and you wouldn't be the first who was convinced there was an HG problem only to spend the money, tear into it and find out the HG was fine.

Has a leak down test been performed? This is an easy test that you can do with a compressor and a rented tool from autozone. It will 100% verify or disprove an HG issue. Youtube it, eric the car guy has an easy-to-understand how-to video demonstrating how to run the test.

Do this test. I rented the tool free from auto zone and confirmed I had nothing to worry about. Took 60 seconds.
4266C755-2DAA-4696-B036-3F3870CB1796.jpeg

I went through this last year and would say, cover the basics first. If you got this truck just to make some quick money on Bring a Trailer :rolleyes: get ready to spend the dough. Otherwise, do your research and try to understand what is going on with it.

If you don't see blue smoke or a considerable amount of smoke in general coming out of the exhaust, checked the radiator and oil lids for weird gunk and haven't noticed loss in power while driving, you are being forked by the dealer which is not hard to happen these days with these trucks. It seems that you have air in the cooling system. Again, do your research and try to find a fix. These rigs are not difficult to service and maintain as long as you do your part.

Last edited:
If you're in Wenatche then talk with Carl over at Nitro not only is he the owner of Nitro Gear but he's a great guy and big cruiser head. He can point you to a good shop.

I was actually just in wenatchee a couple of weeks back for a vacation uplake on Chelan. Freaking love it there, been thinking about moving.

Lets hope its air in the system, and it is not common to have air in the system and will be an easy fix. If not, do the coolant test to confirm HG failure, then deduct 3-5k off your asking price and i am sure someone will bite consider changing HGs on these rigs are like replacing brake pads on here.

Yeah, sorry about that. Been busy.

So, just got the truck back on Friday and it was 100% the head gasket. When they sent the head out to the machine shop, they actually had to fill some small holes via welding, before they refinished the surface.

At any rate, everything works perfectly now. Makes me think that the prior shop that did a bunch of the other work that came recommended from the cruiser shop around here... Might have screwed me over.

At any rate, the truck now has a new head gasket, rear main, new cooling system, and other things lol. So, whoever it goes next should have a pretty solid ride.

Kind of sucks, but it is what it is.

Yeah, sorry about that. Been busy.

So, just got the truck back on Friday and it was 100% the head gasket. When they sent the head out to the machine shop, they actually had to fill some small holes via welding, before they refinished the surface.

At any rate, everything works perfectly now. Makes me think that the prior shop that did a bunch of the other work that came recommended from the cruiser shop around here... Might have screwed me over.

At any rate, the truck now has a new head gasket, rear main, new cooling system, and other things lol. So, whoever it goes next should have a pretty solid ride.

Kind of sucks, but it is what it is.

Thanks for sharing the update. Nice to know what was the culprit in your case. HG is a pain to fix but once it is done correctly the rig can go another 100k-200k mi easy given that it is properly taken care of. Good luck with the sale.

Thanks for sharing the update. Nice to know what was the culprit in your case. HG is a pain to fix but once it is done correctly the rig can go another 100k-200k mi easy given that it is properly taken care of. Good luck with the sale.
Totally. And for the record, there were a few "can't be the HG" posts, but I may have not explained the issue. The reason the thermostat wouldn't open was that the coolant couldn't even build enough pressure, despite the temp. Either way, apparently the surface of the head wasn't all that purdy and things had to be filled in, etc.

Turned it on after the HG replacement. You know what happened within a minute or two? HEAT. Plus it runs like a top now.

(And of course, now it's up for sale, lol...whatever. No good deed goes unpunished...)

Just to correct this for you and to help anyone in the future

Pressure has nothing to do with opening a thermostat. At all. Period. If you were told that by a shop then you need to take your car to a different shop. Seriously.

You can take any thermostat and put it in a pan of water heat it on your stove and watch it open, put a thermometer in the water for extra credit and you will see the exact temp it opens at. 80's thermostats open at ~182°F.

Heres a video showing this exact test.

Last edited:
I’m concerned that they took you for your money if they tried to convince you that pressure opens your thermostat.

How thermostats operate is literally covered in a Lincoln Tech 101 level class. No thermostat in a passenger car operates under pressure.

Also I’ve never seen a 1fz-fe head EVER need filling after a head gasket failure.

I’m not trying to be an a******, I just am seriously concerned that you got sold a bill of work that very likely never happened. Especially if they sold you the “thermostats need pressure to open” lie. Regardless of other engines, I personally know for certain ours don’t require pressure at all
, I’ve even tested mine on the stove (see my build thread).

I’m worried that they could’ve charged you for a “head gasket replacement” and only replaced the thermostat (a 1 hr job).

Did they give you photos? Or anything? I’m glad it’s working now and your getting your money out of it but I think there’s a serious possibility you got taken.

Last edited:
I have done some head gaskets on these trucks, did they show you the gasket? I also have never seen a head that needed filled? Did they use a Toyota gasket and do the valve seals as well? What did they charge and did they give you a parts list? You could ask what machine shop did the work then go ask them if it is true. Like others have said thermostat opens by temp.

I'd consider taking it to a cruiser specific shop in your area and getting a second opinion before making a decision. odds are your local dealership does not see very many 80 series cruises and may or may not have ever touched one before.

/this\

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom