1996 FZJ80 6BT 47RH Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow... another 6bt / 47RH.
I am just buttoning up my build since starting last year.
6bt from a 93 dodge, and a Gear Vendors 47RH. Used the same Axis adapter.
I have a 2" body lift, and didn't have to massage the firewall. I did have Tcase clearance with the 2" body lift, but I have considered dropping the tcase 1/2" and cutting 1/2" out of the body lift as well.

Wow... another 6bt / 47RH.
I am just buttoning up my build since starting last year.
6bt from a 93 dodge, and a Gear Vendors 47RH. Used the same Axis adapter.
I have a 2" body lift, and didn't have to massage the firewall. I did have Tcase clearance with the 2" body lift, but I have considered dropping the tcase 1/2" and cutting 1/2" out of the body lift as well.
I thought I was the only one! Sounds like an awesome build, though I am still planning to do a 48re swap at some point and hopefully have no clearance issues. The body lift makes a lot of sense though

I thought I was the only one! Sounds like an awesome build, though I am still planning to do a 48re swap at some point and hopefully have no clearance issues. The body lift makes a lot of sense though
The body lift did help. Plus I have 37's to mount up to get my ratios more highway friendly.

I was a bit concerned with the shaft engagement of the 47RH to the adapter as its a bit short. I had considered facing off the adapter 3/16" to gain some engagement, but in the end left the Axis adapter as it was. Sealed the drain with RTV.
Did you have any concerns with this? Anything different you did when you joined the 47RH to Axis to the factory Tcase ?
I also used the factory shifter, and made an arm / linkage to shift the tcase. Took a lot of measuring to get the throw correct for all the gears. I also attempted to use a cable, but that was even worse.

The body lift did help. Plus I have 37's to mount up to get my ratios more highway friendly.

I was a bit concerned with the shaft engagement of the 47RH to the adapter as its a bit short. I had considered facing off the adapter 3/16" to gain some engagement, but in the end left the Axis adapter as it was. Sealed the drain with RTV.
Did you have any concerns with this? Anything different you did when you joined the 47RH to Axis to the factory Tcase ?
I also used the factory shifter, and made an arm / linkage to shift the tcase. Took a lot of measuring to get the throw correct for all the gears. I also attempted to use a cable, but that was even worse.
Oh... And I also had to massage my factory fuel tank to fit. It didn't take too much to get it all with about 3/8" clearance everywhere, but it was tight.

I also used the factory shifter, and made an arm / linkage to shift the tcase. Took a lot of measuring to get the throw correct for all the gears. I also attempted to use a cable, but that was even worse

I did the same exact thing with the adapter. I understand that shaft engagement might be an issue, however because I'm not pushing much power I don't think about it. I'm also not a serious off roader so I can't imagine that it'll be too stressed.

And yes I can confirm making the factory shifter work involved a lot of swearing and going underneath the truck, and getting back up, and going underneath, and sitting in the truck to see if it works and getting back underneath the truck 😂😂

Mine is running and driving. I haven't drive it much though while I am working on other things. (basically just drove it the one day to get the body detailed and cleaned up. So far, I really like it. I don't have my overdrive or lockup setup yet, but that will be next.
With 37" Toyos, and stock 4.10's... It governs out at about 95km/hr in 3rd at 2500rpm. Needs overdrive.

Here are a couple pictures if it interests anyone.
I don't send pictures much.
20210824_145453.jpg
IMG_1541.JPG

I'm definitely interested. I'm still looking at putting a cummins in my 80 so any information about the experiences of others is useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom