1996 FJ80 power steering issue......still (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Symptoms point to the box, specifically the input section.
Input as in I received a screwed up overhaul which has the same issue as I had before? Or the steering shaft and joints binding? Even though turning right is perfectly fine?

Pump doesn't care which direction you turn. Spool valve inside box does, linkage can.
If there was an issue with the spool valve, thats something most rebuilders dont/cant address. So yes you can have the same issue after rebuild if that was a problem to begin with.

If the problem doesn't exists with the axle on jacks, weight off the wheels, that eliminates a binding. Now your down to a hydraulic assist issue in one direction. Spool valves job is a directional control valve for the fluid.

Pump doesn't care which direction you turn. Spool valve inside box does, linkage can.
If there was an issue with the spool valve, thats something most rebuilders dont/cant address. So yes you can have the same issue after rebuild if that was a problem to begin with.
Other than seeing if the company will send me another box.....is there any way for me to verify the box is bad??

Not really outside of what I mentioned. Jack stands under axle, eng off, turn both directions and feel steering. If its smooth, back on ground and do it with eng on. Wheels off the ground will tell you if there's a mechanical bind. Eng on, weight on wheels brings in the hydraulics.

Tearing the box down and removing it, you will see a cylinder with a bunch of holes. Inside are a couple of sleeves. These sleeves act like valves. Going straight, fluid goes into the valve and back to the pump. When you turn, the sleeves rotate and slide either up or down, aligning another set of holes. Now the fluid push's the piston inside the gear box left or right. When you stop turning, a torsion spring re-centers the sleeves. If the sleeve binds in one direction, the fluid will just go back to the pump and not give assist in that direction.
One of the classes I teach, we cover this exact issue. I personally have never seen it, only heard of it. There's very few items, that will cause binding in one direction only.

Also, you need new front sway bar bushings, your left spring packer on top is coming out (front), and you need to tighten your shocks bolts to tighten up the rubbers.

Your balls look clean!

If the problem doesn't exists with the axle on jacks, weight off the wheels, that eliminates a binding. Now your down to a hydraulic assist issue in one direction. Spool valves job is a directional control valve for the fluid.nd

Also, you need new front sway bar bushings, your left spring packer on top is coming out (front), and you need to tighten your shocks bolts to tighten up the rubbers.

Your balls look clean!
I will double check all torques and I try to keep her clean when possible.......🤣 especially when doing maintenance. Thanks for the heads up.

Sorry for it being a while to post up a follow up. I sent the steering box back to the re-builder.....he says he tested upon arrival no issues found.......he torn it down inspected and rebuilt the box again(he claims) and is shipping the box back should have it by next week. I am going to remove and clean out the power steering pump reservoir what else might cause the issue if the box (when I get it back) has the same issue?

Thank for the help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom