For Sale 1996 fj80 built overland/crawler Factory Lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

up for sale is my clean 1996 fj80 $12k

extensive mods done

277k on the engine. runs great, I would not hesitate to climb in it and drive cross country today. been running mobile 1 synthetic for several years. occasionally I will get a code for the classic P401 EGR. I have redone the EGR before and replaced the lines. I just clear the code and it stays off. paint has typical clear coat fading on the hood. fender flares removed and bedliner around the base. the red color looks great on this rig.

Slee 4" rear springs and Iron man 4" front springs. Caster plates. Fox shocks.

315 BFG all terrains with 85% tread

Transfer case: Marlin Crawler 3.1 gears installed last summer. makes a big difference. Rubicon trip right after for a test run...love it!

Transmission: never had an issue, shifts flawlessly

Axles: Front/rear lockers. rear diff lock actuator replaced this summer. front axles are 30 spline Longfield super set put in this year. all wheel bearings, seals, Brakes recently done including rotors, pads, Master Cyl, Booster, LPSV.

Auxiliary battery Oddesey 925PC with automatic smart charger/isolator. it seems to run my fridge for 2 days without a charge. also have a solar panel plug in for it for the aux battery while parked, and pig tail for the fridge in the rear cargo area.

10,500lb winch with circuit breaker at the battery

Bumpers are 4x4 labs front and rear. light bar on the front. I bought the parts from Luke and built them with my own dual swing outs in the rear. it can hold 3 jerry cans/water cans. high lift mounted behind the spare.

roof rack, full length. my own design and build. front 24" has flooring for stuff and the rear is cross tube for the roof top tent.

interior. front seats have covers, typical front divers side leather is torn. passenger seat needs the small plastic gear repaired for the forward/backward movement.

rear seats are all good.

stereo system replaced. blue tooth, new speakers.

dual USB charging inputs

Yaesu mobile Ham radio and exterior speaker.

auxiliary lighting switches. only have front light but switches are stubbed for left/right and rear.

I am sure I am forgetting more but feel free to ask. I've had this rig for several years and it has never let me down. Death Valley, Rubicon, Etc.. My eventual plan down the was to do a motor swap, maybe another diesel. I have done one before, or a Vortec. as of now, it runs like a top.

email me or call with questions. serious offers only $12k
located in Pollock pines, Ca. East of Sacramento.

-Chris
heavyfire@yahoo.com
916-869-5030

IMG_2840.JPG

IMG_2841.JPG

IMG_2843.JPG

IMG_2845.JPG

IMG_2847.JPG

Last edited:
You forgot to list your 4.88’s - at least going off your sig line.

Also, are the TC gears the ones that just reduce LO range, or the ones that reduce both HI & LO, so you put 4.11’s back in (and reason the 4.88’s didn’t make the ad)?

Not asking for myself, just saw your ad & thought I’d ask. I’ve about got overall the same setup in my black 80 (no TC gears tho).

Sounds like alot of value in a turn-key rig for someone who’s looking to buy a trail-ready setup. :cheers:

How is this for daily/hwy driving? I don't understand how all th re-gearing works.

4.88’s - perfect gears to compensate for ~35” tires.

Or, if you do the HI/LO gears in the transfer case (TC in my posts) - they do the same for 4.11’s /stock R&P to 35” / 315/75R16’s (really a 34.5”, but splitting hairs).

As a variant, a guy :::could::: just do the TC gear package that drops LO range, and let the HI range be sluggish in town to favor MPG’s & RPM issues on freeway speeds.
Same vehicle could run the stock 4.11’s & be sluggish in-town but fine on the freeway, then when in LO range in the TC on trails it would be exactly like my 4.88’s R&P setup with 35” tires.

Having both 4.88’s & even just LO range 3:1 TC gears would be awesome for crawler setups, having both HI & LO TC gears & 4.88’s would best be suited to going to 37” tires, which a Slee 4” will fit.
That’s from experience as I have the Slee 4” heavy front & 4” heavy progressive rear - I keep 315’s to flex the rear but if I dropped my FR swaybar I could run 37’s if I wanted.

Seller’s rig gives options to buyer as to any 35” or 37” tire they choose to run - I also keep my 315’s /34.5” tires since I’m still stock in my TC.

HTH, I’m unbiased as I set up my 80 & IDK the seller here - but he set his up to be mainly “futureproof” for 37’s if you choose to go that far, or be a great crawler on 35’s. :::: That’s my $.06 (inflation, mang:hillbilly:) ::::

You forgot to list your 4.88’s - at least going off your sig line.

Also, are the TC gears the ones that just reduce LO range, or the ones that reduce both HI & LO, so you put 4.11’s back in (and reason the 4.88’s didn’t make the ad)?

Not asking for myself, just saw your ad & thought I’d ask. I’ve about got overall the same setup in my black 80 (no TC gears tho).

Sounds like alot of value in a turn-key rig for someone who’s looking to buy a trail-ready setup. :cheers:

actually it still has the 4:11's...the sig line is from my other cruiser..lol. after doing the transfer case gears (low range) I left the 4:11's to keep some good freeway speeds though 4:88's would be a great choice.

How is this for daily/hwy driving? I don't understand how all th re-gearing works.
as a daily driver it is excellent. I commute in it sometimes, and have taken it on 1000+ mile road trips. it's an 80...they are sweet on the highway. it really is the best of both worlds.

Thanks for the update. Would you like to trade for a 2003 4Runner with a couple rust holes in the frame? LOL!! I hope something like this will be available when I get the cash together. GLWS.

Just a quick note for anyone thinking about this 80. I know the owner and the vehicle, and they're both very trustworthy. If you're looking for a great super capable 80, then you can't go wrong with this one.

Thanks for the update. Would you like to trade for a 2003 4Runner with a couple rust holes in the frame? LOL!! I hope something like this will be available when I get the cash together. GLWS.

Seriously? Why even waste someone's time ....

I keep coming back to this one.... I may call you tomorrow. Nice rig.

I keep coming back to this one.... I may call you tomorrow. Nice rig.

feel free to call. lets talk about it. I had one guy threatening to fly out from New York to get it! lol.... long drive back but like I said; I personally would not hesitate. It has never let me down. it's a fantastic rig.

Yeah that’s probably what I’d do. Not quite New York far but it’s a good haul back to Memphis.

I really wish you weren't on the complete opposite side of the Country or that I still lived in California. That's a nice rig!

I really wish you weren't on the complete opposite side of the Country or that I still lived in California. That's a nice rig!

thanks! it would be a long drive back but you never know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom