For Sale 1996 Cummins Swapped F(Z)J80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1996 Land Cruiser (F4BT80) - For Sale

It is with a heavy heart that I’ve decided to sell my Cummins-swapped 1996 Toyota Land Cruiser. It has taken me on two long expeditions that I’ll never forget and many camping and road trips.

I’ve decided to start building up a 2017 Power Wagon for overlanding and while having a spare overlanding vehicle sounds great to me, I need to be realistic. I guess.

I’m listing the Cruiser here first since MUD has been such a great resource for me. I’ll put it up on eBay in 1-2 weeks.

Here’s the summary of the F4BT80.

Drivetrain

Cummins 3.9L 4BT Motor (s/n, p/n available on request)
P7100 Fuel Injection
GM 4L80E Transmission (Comes with TCI Transmission Controller Unit)
Block heater with timer

Suspension

4” OME lift
Heavy Springs (front/rear)
Land Tank Caster Correction Kit
OME Shocks
Rear Sway Bar Relocation (from Iron Pig)

Overland Bolt-ons
Front Runner Slim Line Roof Rack
Front Runner Featherlite Roof Top Tent
Front Runner Dual Fuel Can Carrier
Front Runner Tie-Downs
Dual Battery Smart Solenoid and Monitor (Replacement solenoid ordered)
Dual Batteries
Tepui Awning
Tepui Awning Extension
Two (2) 20L Scepter Water Cans
One (1) 10L Scepter Water Can
Scepter Water Spicket for easy dispensing
Two (2) 20L Diesel Cans
4x4 Labs Scepter Water Can Carrier
Rear Platform and Extra Tie-Downs for Cargo
Safari Snorkel
IPF9000 Off-Road Lights

Off-Road Capability

ARB Front Bumper
ARB Rear Bumper (dual swing-out, fuel can and tire carrier)
Custom Proffitt's Rock Sliders
315/75R16 Kelly Safari TSR Mud Terrain Tires (~50% tread remaining)
Rear Harrop (Eaton) E-Locker
10’000lb Warn Winch
Hi Lift Jack
Hi Lift Jack Base
Hi Lift Front Bumper Jack Mount

Bag of Recovery Gear

18,000 lb. Recovery Strap (20’)
Snatch Block
30 ft. Tow Strap

Other Goodies

Pioneer DNX9980 Head Unit with Bluetooth and Navigation
Reverse Camera (currently inoperable - reason unknown)

Current Issues

None of the below are critical in my opinion. They certainly wouldn’t stop me from taking it for a road trip or expedition.

If I were going to keep the LC, the next modification I would make is an manual torque converter lock-up switch. The 4L80E is widely known among the GM guys to sometimes have fickle lock-up (overdrive) behavior. I’ve found a few write-ups out there on how to install one. Another option is to use the TCI TCU programmer to tinker with lock-up ranges. Regardless, I’ve made two trips from Virginia to Colorado/Utah and back, and one trip from Virginia to TX and back (and a few short trips as well). When lock-up is reliably chugging along (the majority of the interstate miles I’ve covered), I move comfortably at 70-75mph.

In my last expedition, the antenna caught a little tree branch action and had to be replaced. After the replacement, the automatic raising and lowering of the antenna doesn’t work. Probably a simple fix, but I never used the feature so I was never pressed to fix it.

The reverse camera is also intermittent.

The tachometer is disabled. The conversion module to get an RPM reading to the tach came with the Cruiser, but I never got around to installing it.

Notes about the diesel swap

When I purchased the vehicle, it had oil leaks that were a bit more aggressive than the normal Cummins oil leaks/weeps. I had the upper and lower gasket and seal set replaced by a diesel mechanic and now the leaks are more in line with what I see other 6bt and 4bt owners experiencing. With an 11 quart capacity, I’ve topped off the oil to the tune of a ½ quart at the most - though it probably wasn’t required. But don’t be surprised or panic if you see a few drops in the driveway. It’s normal.

The power steering pump housing was also leaking, but the pump was replaced and the leaking was resolved.

General Notes

I have the 3rd row seat, which will convey with the sale. The platform in the back with various tie-downs and the option for sleeping can convey, or I can trash it. Seller’s choice.

Maintenance records will convey. I’ve kept track of everything I’ve done and I have some of the maintenance and build records from the previous owner.

It's a bit rainy out today, but I can get pictures of the interior shortly if requested.

The vehicle is located in Chantilly, VA 20152

Price

$27,500 $26,000 – includes everything listed above

IMG_0458.JPG
IMG_20170911_125106.jpg
IMG_20170918_100526.jpg
IMG_20170926_112250.jpg
DSC_0064.JPG

Last edited:
Leather seats are tear-free.

20180605_151721.jpg
20180605_151800.jpg
20180605_151902.jpg
20180605_152027.jpg

Note: the platform pictured above and below is not permenently attached to the Cruiser. It comes out easily and all the hardware for installing the 3rd row seats is available. The platform is just a flat spot with tie-downs for storage boxes, coolers, etc.

20180605_152031.jpg

Last edited:
Well, it does have a Cummins...
20180605_151850.jpg

Engine compartment:
20180605_152209.jpg

20180605_152239.jpg

20180605_152248.jpg

20180605_152215.jpg

Last edited:
Weather cleared up, so here are some current pictures as promised. See above and below.

The back:
20180605_151937.jpg

20180605_152015.jpg

20180605_152132.jpg

Bump for asking price drop. If you're interested in negotiating, pm me and we'll see what we can work out.

How’s the rattle and the noise with that 4BT?

It sounds almost exactly like one of the mid-late 90s Dodge RAM diesels with a Cummins 6BT - or maybe a UPS truck. Every time I start it, I get a bit...excited (I know, I'm such a f-ing child). Driving down the road at highway speeds, the vibration levels out and you can have a conversation at a reasonable decibel level. Standing outside the Cruiser, it's noisy. The previous owner said the Proffitts installed noise dampening, but I don't think they covered the entire interior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom