1996 Console Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Taking the interior out of my FJ80 to replace the stereo, speakers and amps. All was smooth until I got to the center console. took the front bolt out easy enough, but the center two bolts that were supposed to be in the main storage compartment were not to be found. Took out the carpet and found a hard plastic material with no holes in it. I put a screw in it so that I would have some way to pull up on it, drilled a hole for additional pulling and finally got this plastic piece to come up. For sure look aftermarket. It's hinged to the back of the console and looks like they cut the floor out of the original console.

What is the shaft coming up from the drivetrain?

This botom plastic piece had two screws that were screwed some how up from the bottom holding down the plastic, that's why it was so difficult to pull up, bascially had to strip those out.

Still do not have the console out, I'm going to start taking out the screws around the edge of the frame.

This FJ80 had been modified with aftermarket amp, speakers, and mixer so I knew I'd be finding some odd things but this one has me stumped.

Thanks
Chuck

20210207_170048.jpg

20210207_165835.jpg

20210207_170102.jpg

20210207_170209.jpg

Remove that nut and bolt from the middle bracket and it might allow it to come free without taking all the screws out.

Smugglers void it is, went under the car last night and for sure some modifications were made so that you would have to go under the car to get that bottom of the console to flip up.

Hope to have some time tonight to take it apart further and decide how to go forward. I like the hidden compartment but getting uunder the car to open it is a bit extreme.

Smugglers void it is, went under the car last night and for sure some modifications were made so that you would have to go under the car to get that bottom of the console to flip up.

Hope to have some time tonight to take it apart further and decide how to go forward. I like the hidden compartment but getting uunder the car to open it is a bit extreme.
What is the shaft with the bolt through it do?

It holds the floor of the console down. The floor was screwed to the bracket on top of the shaft, then the shaft was secured under the car, it was hidden as well. I'll go back under and take another picture tonight.

Too bad you didn't find a wallet with a couple $100 in it.......

I would be checking other places to make sure you are not carrying other things. Gas tank. Spare tire, inside fenders and behind plastic panels. Also look under shifter console if it isnt already out.

For sure I will be looking it over a bit closer now.

So, the story is making a bit more sense now. I purchased this ride about 12 years ago from a small town just south of Atlanta. Supposedly the cruiser had been sitting in the garage of an abandoned house for 7 years without moving, no tag, etc. The guy that owned the house was from NYC and just up and left everything. The guy I bought it from was into rental houses and he had been watching the house go downhill. Finally, after several years of trying he got up with the dude from NYC and they agreed on a price for the house and everything in it, seller said he was not coming back for anything. The guy that bought the house and cruiser had a couple of middle age kids and they all wanted the cruiser, but he could not split it and decided to sell it and split the money. So, I ended up with a 12-year-old cruiser at the time with 29K miles, dry rot tires and all. I have put about 28K on it in the last 12 years and just decided to go through it and put in a new stereo, speakers, amps, tires, wheels, probably lift kit and front bumper as well. I will be looking for the additional stash places as I go along.

First thought on this stash place is for sure drugs, but they must have spent a lot of time lining this little area with carpet and all. Seems a bit overboard for drug hauling, and it is too small to pack guns in.

Fast way is call a LE buddy and ask them if they are friends with anyone in the k9 unit. They get bored and have plenty of time to let a dog crawl around. They like cookies, fresh baked and it is pretty fast.

Check the VIN on Carfax. See if it’s ever been registered in Miami, El Paso, McAllen, Nogales, Jacumba, or San Diego.....

😜

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom