1996 Black FZJ80 with lockers 190k mi - barn find (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't know how good it is for the paint but about 7 years ago I cleaned a silver civic that was black from tree sap. I found dawn dish detergent loosened it up pretty quickly. Cars paint looked like new when it was done, and i had to get the soap completely off and put some wax on it after. Car was unrecognizable by the owner. Not sure if that is safe with your paint though.

I can imagine the smell on the interior as mine was completely full of mold when I got it. It really isn't that hard to get all the interior out and clean the carpet. you can put activated charcoal pads (i think they are puppy pads or something like that) inside the back of the seats after you get done cleaning and treating all the leather.

Little thing i did when i had the carpet out, was getting a trailer harness and some antenna wires and laid that all the way from the front to the back for future projects since it was so easy. Trailer harness was just color coded and large enough for a cheap price.

That is going to be fun!

Great call on the rubbing alcohol, if you can find enough.

I would start with complete interior removal including the headliner and major scrub inside and out!

What’s the interior like?
Leather is nice with no cracking just wrinkles typical of aged leather. Steering wheel is very nice. Jump seats seem to have been stored in the barn with lots of dust but look good after wiping off surface dirt. Luckily no animals moved in while it was sitting. Found a large snake skin in the engine compartment so maybe he kept the mice out. Just needs a good clean up.

Leather is nice with no cracking just wrinkles typical of aged leather. Steering wheel is very nice. Jump seats seem to have been stored in the barn with lots of dust but look good after wiping off surface dirt. Luckily no animals moved in while it was sitting. Found a large snake skin in the engine compartment so maybe he kept the mice out. Just needs a good clean up.

Nice, post up some more pictures as you go along.

Things just got more expensive 🤑

72C0353E-2803-48DE-BD13-2748ECEB27D0.jpeg

I can imagine the water build up in the tank. possibly a fair amount built up in the oil pan too. 10 years of heat cycles and condensation. I am thinking I should check my pump too. I changed the fuel filter a few years back but never looked to see how much it caught.

View attachment 2324624
Clean up and lube float mechanism. Change fuel pump and strainer then run it. Seen worse that are still in service after working on 5 years ago. How’s tank? Probably has lots of rust/stuff in the bottom. That can be cleaned as well.

get ready man, you are in for a ride. i would part it out. i bet every harness in it needs to be replaced or repaired from rats eating it. once they sit that long they are almost beyond help.

View attachment 2324624

Imagine what the tank looks like. Better drop the tank and plan on a good clean up (if possible) at the very least.

I'd also bore scope all cylinders before rotating the engine at all, might have rust there too.

I just dealt with the exact same problem. You're going to want to pull the tank and de-rust the heck out of it.
So I followed the gas tank removal instructions on another post on this incredibly helpful site...but the gas tank won’t clear the frame and the rear drive shaft. The crimped tank edge can’t clear no matter how I tilt the tank. I’m 99.9% sure the tank is original as the truck is 100% original. I’m doing this in my driveway with no lift, etc other than a hand jack. The protective gas tank cover dropped out easy enough just can’t get the tank from the tight space. Any recommendations other than to take off that rear shaft? Thanks in advance for suggestions!

So I followed the gas tank removal instructions on another post on this incredibly helpful site...but the gas tank won’t clear the frame and the rear drive shaft. The crimped tank edge can’t clear no matter how I tilt the tank. I’m 99.9% sure the tank is original as the truck is 100% original. I’m doing this in my driveway with no lift, etc other than a hand jack. The protective gas tank cover dropped out easy enough just can’t get the tank from the tight space. Any recommendations other than to take off that rear shaft? Thanks in advance for suggestions!
It should drop out without removing the rear shaft.

Make sure the shield is completely out from under the truck.
Unhook the inlet hose at the tail of the tank.
May have to shuffle the tank back and diagonally up in the rear to drop the front inner corner first. Hopefully you drained all the full and liquid first so it's as light as can be. If so, don;t use the jack. Lay on a creeper and manhandle it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom