1996 Black FZJ80 with lockers 190k mi - barn find (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It will come out without removing the drive shaft, but I had to drop mine to get the new tank in.

Lotta good info here.

Welcome! I own the same spec!

I’m getting towards the finish line with my build. Lots of knowledge here on this board.

Ps, keep the gold!

View attachment 2321383
A quick intro to what appears to be a very informative and entertaining LC site. Just purchased a 1996 80 series LC with lockers from a doctor's farm in central Georgia. Had it flat bed towed to my home north of Atlanta over the weekend. The truck has been sitting in a field (next to his barn) at his farm for at least 10 years. Just started cleanup and am getting into an engine base line by ordering parts today from the local Toyota dealer. The color is factory black with those ever so popular gold emblems and pin stripes. On the lockers - I have the switch to the left of the steering wheel. However, the front driver door was replaced from where a deer ran into it (new door, new paint) and the vin tag was not carried over from the old door...so no vin tag but confirmed by looking for the actuator and the dealer confirmed the truck has lockers...waiting to see if they work...and what else works or does not work after sitting so long.

Questions to the group (sorry for so many :) ):

1-The thick burl wood lacquer coat is peeling from the heat on almost every burl wood piece in the truck. Is there an easy way to get the burl wood trim pieces removed from the underlying plastic? Any other approaches to replacing the burl that have worked for others?

2-the paint and windows has what looks like small black tree sap particles all over (totally coated). The windows clean up with elbow grease but the paint wont clean (yet). Any ideas on best way to remove the tree sap without killing the paint. I tried goo remover in a small spot but did not work. I have a buffer but did not want to do that until I tried others things to remove sap.

Thanks !

bburton

Hmm sounds like a sewing machine. NICE!

I filled the gas tank for the first time with 2 gallons. I ran it for a while then shut it off and opened the gas cap and had pretty good pressure release (95’ hot today). Later ran it up to get 7 gallons and when I got home when I opened the cap got less pressure release. I’m checking the carbon canister to nipple on frame in the morning. The line from the canister to tank is clear. I imagine opening the gas cap should not really release a lot of pressure or am I wrong? What else should I be looking at? I would hate to have a newly cleaned take crack on me...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom