1996 80 Series rocking back and forth freeway speeds (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all. My wife and I have a 1996 80 series Land Cruiser that we bought back in 2009. It has been a great SUV, currently has about 210k miles. We replaced the shocks with Bilsteins less than 10k miles ago (about a year and a half ago). Still has the original coils. Immediately, it started to rock back and forth on the freeway, no curves in the road needed, just needed to get about 60 or 65 mph. Replaced the front stabilizer and re-balanced the tires and it has been fine until a few weeks ago. Found out the front wheel bearing were shot, tons of play up/down and left/right, replaced those. Did not help the rocking motion but does stop much better. A few different national repair chain gave me different recommendations. I took the truck to a very reputable shop in my area that specializes in land cruisers. They went through my suspension and steering and could not find anything blatantly wrong. They recommended replacing the rear shocks (that are only 18 months old), but they are as stumped as I am, and cannot guarantee this will cure the issue. Has anyone else experienced this issue with their 80 series? The coils are original to the truck, could this be the culprit? The shop did not think the worn out spring would cause it to rock back and forth when driving, they said it would just make it sag. I am tempted to replace the entire suspension system with the OME stock height set up if this will eliminate the rocking motion. The other option is to install new springs with the newer Bilsteins. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

New sway bar bushings and links. Front and rear.

PROPERLY adjust the wheel bearings to 35 LB-FT for the inner nut and 45 LB-FT for the outer nut.

Have the toe-in adjusted (alignment)

Check tire pressures so they are all equal. Run about 35 PSI.

Possibly all new suspension bushings due to age and possibly cracked bushings. Only get OEM bushings installed at a facility that KNOWS these solid axle trucks.

The way you are describing this makes no sense, so more information is needed. You make it sound like the truck is on a perfectly flat surface driving along rocking like there's some self-powered rocking motion happening that is nothing to do with the road. First, what's back and forth? That sounds longitudinal to me like front to back rocking like a rocking horse. If it's not that, is it "side to side" rocking?

And again more info on what you imply has nothing to do with the road surface - like some giant hand is moving the vehicle. I'm sure when we get past that, there will be some good input. Welcome to Mud, by the way.

Not to just throw parts at it, but sounds like bushings, whether be sway, panhard's, LCA's........ WAG

Mine did that when I picked it up in '18 any time I passed a big rig. It would set up a swaying motion, left to right.
Did everything you did and it went away. New shocks, adjusted wheel bearings and changed sway bar bushings.
I used OEM shocks and bushings.

Mine did that when I replaced the shocks the first time. I did not tighten down the nuts on the upper shock bushings correctly allowing the shock to move up and down. Sitting still at ride height it looked fine but when someone rocked it back and forth I could see the bushing move in and out of the mount point.

I have the same issue with my 80 with the bilstein shocks when heavily loaded. The bilstein just doesn’t have the low speed damping force to control the sprung mass. I switched brand new oem Toyota shocks and It went away. I also have 861 862 springs

Thanks for so much feedback guys. I will try to clarify.

Rocking back and forth, left to right, not front to back, yes side to side rocking. On a straight freeway, curves not required to get it rocking. Does not matter if asphalt or concrete lanes. It used to only happen at 70mph, it has been happening when going slower, 60-65mph. Unloaded stock truck. Original springs. Tire pressure at 35.

The shop I took it to told me they went through everything and that all the bushings looked good. We have it aligned every 6-10k miles, we do this with all of our cars to extend the life of the tires. I will have to check out that the shocks are all properly tightened, as well as inspect the bushings myself this weekend.

I am leaning towards putting a stock height OME suspension system on, all new springs/shocks/stabilizer, light load, assuming the bushings look good.

My only thoughts:

Although the OME stock height kit (springs and shocks) would be nice, I doubt your stock springs are causing this problem. I have found off-the-shelf bilsteins to be under-damped in other rigs. I would try replacing your shocks with the OEM Toyota (made by Tokico) shocks. They're cheap. If you later decide to install the OME stock-height springs, they work well with the Toyota shocks, so you can just get the springs to save a buck and be done with it.

At that age/mileage, there is good cause to believe your suspension bushings are at the end of their life. Start with sway bar bushings (end links and D-bushings) because that's easiest. If that doesn't work, replacing the major suspension bushings is a big job and probably expensive if someone else is doing the work for you. The bushings themselves cost $600+. So yeah, start with the sway bar bushings and keep your fingers crossed.

Heckraiser - thanks for the input. Under-dampened is exactly what the last shop told me, specifically for the rear shocks. I will try your suggestions. I prefer to keep our truck running as long as possible. My wife works as wildlife biologist and needs something that is capable, but does not want something too nice due to the conditions of the narrow trails she often needs to tackle.

Hopefully I can get the shocks and bushings ordered and to me by the weekend, need something to do:)

Shotguntet said:

"We replaced the shocks with Bilsteins --- Immediately, it started to rock back and forth on the freeway"

"We have it aligned every 6-10k miles"

Were these two things done at the same time??

Last edited:
Interesting. It does sound like potentially the new shocks are not tightened. On the theory if someone else did that accidentally, it can certainly happen again. So you'll need to put a hand up there on the top of the shock bushing and have your wife wobble the truck back and forth to see if you can feel movement.

Shotguntet said:

"We replaced the shocks with Bilsteins --- Immediately, it started to rock back and forth on the freeway"

"We have it aligned every 6-10k miles"

Were these two things done at the same time??
Yes when we put the Bilsteins on did an alignment within a week or so.

Interesting. It does sound like potentially the new shocks are not tightened. On the theory if someone else did that accidentally, it can certainly happen again. So you'll need to put a hand up there on the top of the shock bushing and have your wife wobble the truck back and forth to see if you can feel movement.
Thanks for the suggestion. Tried it. No movement in any of the shocks. Also checked all bushings and they are in good shape.

Not to sound like a dick, but how can you be sure your bushings are good?

I looked at them last night, everything seemed tight no visible cracking or movement. They could be bad underneath, plan to look a little closer this weekend, I get home from work too late. I had a similar issue with bushings falling apart with age on my 75 Bronco where several bushing literally disintegrated, I didn't see anything like that on the LC.

Last edited:
Best way to visually inspect the suspension bushings is to remove the arm in question and stick it in a vice, then stick a large screwdriver or prying device in the hole and pry it to articulate the bushing. You can also see the condition of the rear upper arm bushings pretty clearly on the truck just by jacking up one tire to articulate the suspension. The rest of them are a little harder to see, but those rear uppers may cue you in to the condition of the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom