1996 80 series brake fluid leak under passenger side door. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1996 land cruiser. brake fluid is leaking under passenger side door near the front. Could not see where it was leaking from. What is around there, is there any valve or connection that could be leaking. Looks like it could be under the heat shield at the bottom of the firewall on passenger side. I assume it is the brake lines going to the rear, are they routed on the passenger side. I could not get under there to really look, it is an hour from my house at my son's house. So when I go to fix it I want to be prepared with the right lines and supplies. If it is the line to the rear how hard is that to replace.

Hard brake lines run down the left inner frame rail. No brake lines on the right side. Those are coolant and fuel lines.
Have someone step on the brake while you're under the truck. A brake line leak will be VERY apparent.

1996 land cruiser. brake fluid is leaking under passenger side door near the front. Could not see where it was leaking from. What is around there, is there any valve or connection that could be leaking. Looks like it could be under the heat shield at the bottom of the firewall on passenger side. I assume it is the brake lines going to the rear, are they routed on the passenger side. I could not get under there to really look, it is an hour from my house at my son's house. So when I go to fix it I want to be prepared with the right lines and supplies. If it is the line to the rear how hard is that to replace.
I would start at the RF caliper. It may be dripping down and running down the frame.

Are you sure it's brake fluid and he's not seeing a puddle underneath from the AC drain line? Could just be water. It's clear and may smell bad. There is a shield that covers the drain from the evaporator in the cabin.

I believe the brake lines run down the LEFT frame rail.

Does he have a soft brake pedal?

I would start at the RF caliper. It may be dripping down and running down the frame.

Are you sure it's brake fluid and he's not seeing a puddle underneath from the AC drain line? Could just be water. It's clear and may smell bad. There is a shield that covers the drain from the evaporator in the cabin.

I believe the brake lines run down the LEFT frame rail.

Does he have a soft brake pedal?
If is brake fluid, when you push the pedal it slowly goes to the floor. It felt and smelt like brake fluid, and my son said he has been having to add brake fluid, it is rarely driven. I will have to go over and jack it up and pull the front passenger tire and get a real good look at where it might be leaking from.

Hard brake lines run down the left inner frame rail. No brake lines on the right side. Those are coolant and fuel lines.
Have someone step on the brake while you're under the truck. A brake line leak will be VERY apparent.
it is 100% brake fluid, good news that the long lines run down the left side, means it is only going to be a front right brake line somewhere and running down to where to where it drips on pavement.. Will make it a lot easier to replace once I get back there to identity where the leak is coming from. Must be running down onto the frame and back. was 100 degrees so I was not interested and rolling under that think any further.

it is 100% brake fluid, good news that the long lines run down the left side, means it is only going to be a front right brake line somewhere and running down to where to where it drips on pavement.. Will make it a lot easier to replace once I get back there to identity where the leak is coming from. Must be running down onto the frame and back. was 100 degrees so I was not interested and rolling under that think any further.
Most likely hoses. Could be a rusted through hard line.

There are also the soft lines (hoses) that run to the axle housing. If it was split
on the rear facing side of the hose it might squirt rearward.

There are also the soft lines (hoses) that run to the axle housing. If it was split
on the rear facing side of the hose it might squirt rearward.
This is my thought, the hard lines I could see did not look rusty at all, but could have split. Must be squirting somewhere and running down. I could not see any signs of fluid on the axle or around the calliper or soft line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom