1996 1FZ-FE head issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought a used 1996 1FZ-FE engine to rebuild. Started on rebuilding the head and discovered that the cams have
made contact with the head on the #7 cradle. Cams do not currently contact cradle when installed. Cams have been removed before and about half the caps were installed in wrong locations.

Is the head now scrap metal?

What would cause this issue? (over heat, loose caps, misplaced caps?)

Any other ideas/comments?

Anyone have a head for sale?

Thanks,

Don

head1.jpg

head2.jpg

Hmmm, I recently had a 97 1fz apart and the head had the exact same markings... the head ended up being scrap 19thou out of spec and had some cracks. My suspect was extreme overheating and warping caused the contact. I honestly remember asking my machinest that I was working with at the time in the town beside me and I cannot for the life of me remember what he said..

I can't comment on misplaced caps but I assume thats not great practice.

I ended up ordering a new head from Toyota.

IMG_3015 2.JPG

IMG_3021 2.JPG

Personally I wouldn't reuse that head simply because it looks so rough in general. As to what caused the contact....who knows but likely something to do with thrust clearance. Wear on the cams and/or front main caps would be my guess. It doesn't help that some of the bearing caps were out of place....since they are machined to fit a specific saddle and then align honed.

An overheat makes sense to me. The head grows more than the cam and the side of the cam made contact with the head. The thrust bearing is at the other end, right?

An overheat makes sense to me. The head grows more than the cam and the side of the cam made contact with the head. The thrust bearing is at the other end, right?
Correct thrust bearing is at the front of the head.

.030" would be a lot of expansion.

Correct thrust bearing is at the front of the head.

IIRC there isn't a thrust bearing per se. The cam thrust clearance is dictated by the fit of the cams to the 'Main Caps' up front.
exh cam install3.jpg
Cams.JPG

Last edited:
.030" would be a lot of expansion.
Yea, that is a bit much but a 30" aluminum block that heats up 100F should grow by 0.039". The cam will likely grow half of that, so a 0.020 gap shouldn't bind but depending how how it got and what the starting clearance was, maybe. Curious if the journal on the other end near the timing gear had any damage to outside edge?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom