1995 specific questions on a refresh job (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So after about 15 years and many miles I am finally in a good enough place physically and financially to give my wonderful workhorse 1/95 FJZ80 some love. The plan is to give her a nice refresh- but not a rebuild- and replace parts that are getting old like the engine wiring harness and coolant hoses while hopefully not having to crack open the engine/transmission for any heavy work. Starting with the brakes, steering, and suspension, and working up into the engine wiring and fuel injectors, then finishing up with taking care of some corrosion in the body and bumpers and finally a nice heavy coat of Raptorliner to keep everything rust-free as long as possible. That plan, like all plans, is most definitely subject to change if (more likely when) it becomes necessary. Not interested in doing the head gasket until it becomes necessary as the truck is a northern rig and has never been overheated. Hopefully I'll be one of the lucky ones that never needs it done, and if not then this refresh will make the job worth doing on the rig.

So far she has all new/reman Toyota brake calipers installed with all new brake hoses ordered. Master cylinder is only a couple years old. She has a new water pump and a new exhaust from the headers down and a modified tailpipe to clear the 4x4 Labs rear bumper. The new engine wiring harness is here and hopefully it is the right one. I even found the correct oil sensor harness for this model and ordered that, along with rebuilt Denso fuel injectors and bushings for the f+r panhard bars. The front control arm bushings were replaced last year, as were all the tie rod ends. I'm planning to rebuild the steering box and replace all the power steering hoses as well since it'll all be out anyway. I am fixing all the engine oil leaks while I have the front end apart.

I'm also looking at springs and trying to decide what might work best but first I have to fully commit to either getting around to finally installing this Ramsey RE12000 brute or just dropping the idea completely. Either way it's getting a dual battery setup to ensure it always starts on cold winter mornings, and it also has a snowplow frame and big 8' Fisher plow that go on it in the winter. That complicates trying to figure out what springs to use since I can't have too much lift or the plow angles will be too far off to work. And I also have air bags in all the springs to help with the seasonal load, further complicating the entire setup. (Yeah, I'm gonna have to just take my best guess at that one and hope for the best.) Also getting the driver's side seatbelt redone as that's the only one with any wear. May even finally install the sub tank conversion I've been piling parts up for! So quite an extensive job planned this summer for my beloved daily driver!

So anyway my burning question(one of 'em anyways) is this- as this particular rig is a 1/95 it is not fully OBD2 compliant, it has only some OBD2 functions but not the full set of functions like the 1996/97 models. It already has a 1996 model ECU swapped into it and I'm installing an all new engine wiring harness, so what else would I need to change out to make it fully OBD2? I would really like to run a scanguage type setup to keep an eye on my truck but apparently I can't with my existing configuration, as some sensors just don't appear. Hopefully some of the gurus here might be familiar with the particularities of the transitional 1/1995 model and can help me figure out what to do here. If I can't make the scanguage rig work out then it's getting a gage cluster in the A-pillar to help keep an eye on things, so I'm trying to figure out which way to go here while the truck's getting worked over.

Oh, and since the roof rack is getting coated too as long as the truck's all apart, can anyone recommend a good waterproof bulkhead wiring connector system to handle the wiring for the lights and accessories on the roof? It'll need roughly ten independent circuits up there for all that those light bars, chase bars, side lights, plow lights, and red FD beacons. Looking for something waterproof that can connect and disconnect without having to disassemble half the truck to do it. Maybe the military type screw-together connectors? Just looking for ideas there.

And I think I understand that there is also a wiring sub-harness for the knock sensors that is no longer available from Toyota, is there any other source for that? And are there any other sub-harnesses I would need to replace everything under the hood?

Any help is always appreciated!

Would just replacing the sensors with 1996 model units accomplish this OBD upgrade thing or are more going parts to be needed? Anyone got any ideas?

So anyway my burning question(one of 'em anyways) is this- as this particular rig is a 1/95 it is not fully OBD2 compliant, it has only some OBD2 functions but not the full set of functions like the 1996/97 models. It already has a 1996 model ECU swapped into it and I'm installing an all new engine wiring harness, so what else would I need to change out to make it fully OBD2? I would really like to run a scanguage type setup to keep an eye on my truck but apparently I can't with my existing configuration, as some sensors just don't appear.

Oh, and since the roof rack is getting coated too as long as the truck's all apart, can anyone recommend a good waterproof bulkhead wiring connector system to handle the wiring for the lights and accessories on the roof? It'll need roughly ten independent circuits up there for all that those light bars, chase bars, side lights, plow lights, and red FD beacons. Looking for something waterproof that can connect and disconnect without having to disassemble half the truck to do it. Maybe the military type screw-together connectors? Just looking for ideas there.

And I think I understand that there is also a wiring sub-harness for the knock sensors that is no longer available from Toyota, is there any other source for that? And are there any other sub-harnesses I would need to replace everything under the hood?

to make it easier to find the questions lol

I figure to use these. Still need to work out rooftop disconnects and shelter from the storm when disconnected…

Data output depends entirely on the data input to the ECU, which feeds the OBDII port. FWIW, the ECU (89661-60260) was listed for both '95 and '96. I would be willing to bet the difference in the '97 has nothing to do with function. What makes you think the '96-'97 models have more data to provide to the OBDII port than the '95? The engine harness (82121-60343) is the same for '95-'97. Any difference in sensors would not be related to function.

The oil pressure switch pigtail (82221-60010) has been discontinued for years. Where did you find one?

WRT to the knock sensor, the wiring to the harness side connector is spliced into the engine harness; there is no pigtail. As @mudgudgeon stated above, you can replace the connector housing, terminals and seals, but that's all. If the conductor into the connector housing has broken short of it, you'll have to splice a new length into the wiring harness.

Thankfully VintageTEQ has some, both the early one through 1/96 and the later one:

Last edited:
That 1/5 of the price of the entire engine harness
1685649460329.png

The later pigtail is still available...
1685649668902.png

Would just replacing the sensors with 1996 model units accomplish this OBD upgrade thing or are more going parts to be needed? Anyone got any ideas?
Can't speak to that, but my 6/95 is full OBDII with airbags and ABS, so don't rule out late '95 parts either...

Just by the by, I believe they started installing impact bars (or whatever you call them) in the doors in 95 as well. You may be safer than you think. Do you have airbags/ABS in yours?

Yup, my 1/95's the full meal deal with all the new stuff, and pretty much exactly the same as a '96 model US spec truck. It's just that every once in a while some part comes up that is just different, like that oil sensor wire harness. There's been a few other instances of '96-'97 parts not fitting (that I can't recall right now due to my old-timer's syndrome) but generally it's all the same late model 80.

But not quite exactly like them either- just to be complicated! Ah, the joys of transitional model years!

But anyway, I am considering just getting the aussie 14 in 1 gage rig instead of trying to make this OBD thing work like I want. I'm trying to recall what engine monitoring system I was trying to install (it was along time ago) but it didn't work out because my truck didn't have the full OBD2 setup like the 96-97 models and I only had extremely limited function- not much more than the dash gages were already giving me with the Raventai temp gage mod. I was pretty frustrated but also very busy with no time to mess with it so it's probably still out in the garage in some box or other. I'd like to finally get around to getting more information to keep an better eye on things.

As my 6-95 is fully compliant, I suspect your 1/95 can be MADE OBDII, though the time and expense may not be worth it. Maybe you'll get lucky and @OGBeno or @cruiserdan will give a definitive answer.

IMO, being able to use a ScanGauge or similar is alone reason enough to get a late FZ. Exactly when that kicked in, though, I dunno.

January 1995 is when th OBDII gizmo showed up in the dash fuse box. Same-same.

ScanGauge anxiety is real.
Save yourself and save money!
Stay OBDI.

Joey said something similar about 'gage anxiety' back when he was having his overheating problems, but I think he was referring to the resistor mod to the factory dashboard water temp gage. I'd just like to keep a closer eye on everything since this is the last truck I'm ever planning to buy, so it needs to last a while longer. Hopefully this refresh job this summer will see me through!

Last edited:
I have an 01-95 and an 07-95; I feel the part pain. Fortunately, I also have an 11-94 so, I'm not in bad shape.

FWIW, the older sunroof glass, with the installed seal, fits until 02-95 and is available from time to time. The later glass is long gone and hasn't been seen in many moons.

That's really good to know, I wasn't aware the glass was also different. Thanks!

IIRC, it's not the glass per se, it's the number of mounting screws (3 per side vs. 4 per side). The glass and seal are the same, but the mounting flange is integrated into the glass assembly. I may have the details wrong, I haven't looked at it in a while.

IIRC, it's not the glass per se, it's the number of mounting screws (3 per side vs. 4 per side). The glass and seal are the same, but the mounting flange is integrated into the glass assembly. I may have the details wrong, I haven't looked at it in a while.

I too remember a change in the number of studs on the glass but I don't remember the specifics. I think the newer part number has fewer studs but works in the earlier truck.

I replaced my sunroof glass about 10 or 12 years ago and that's when I ran into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom