1995 no heat front or rear after tstat replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This last summer I did the blue devil head gasket sealer and ran the fj without a tstat for the summer. The heater worked in both the front and the back just fine. Aside from the racket from the blend door. I plan on replacing that soon. But now that I replaced the tstat with an oem one I am getting no heat out of the front or the back. I replaced the mixer with another brand new oem piece about 2 weeks ago but I have zero heat.
When I did the blue devil head gasket sealer I flushed and back flushed the cores. They were not that bad and they worked amazingly as long as I wasn't on a long downhill.
Right now I have the cable disconnected from the mixer valve just to remove that variable but still very very little heat. If I leave both the front and rear on with recirc. It will eventually heat up to about 65 degrees. But it's freezing where I live. And I have a 1 year old. Should I buy another new tstat?
There is one more thing, I hadn't used my front heater for the summer and I did hook up an amp to the after market deck in the dash. But I am sure the rear heat worked after I did that. Not sure about the front as I had no reason to use it.
The heater worked amazingly last winter before the flush and blue devil.
Any help with the blend door clicking sound, thoughts on the zero heat, and or advice on the tstat would be much appreciated by me and my family.
Thanks in advance.

One more thing. The clicking always gets louder the further I have the heater slider into the red. I have noticed it's not clicking near as loud and the cadence is about where it was a little past the midway point on the slider. It's as if the heater doesn't turn all the way up when I move it all the way. Even with the mixer set to wide open under the hood.
Thanks again

Did you install the rubber seal around the edge of the tstat? Did you orient it so the bleed plug was up?

Did you burp the system with the front up on a curb or such that it could allow trapped air out if the system?

Did you bleed the air out afterwards?

I would guess your head gasket sealer plugged up your heater cores. That stuff is bad news in my opinion. Maybe take the thermostat out and flush again.

I would guess your head gasket sealer plugged up your heater cores. That stuff is bad news in my opinion. Maybe take the thermostat out and flush again.

Adding to this, in the spirit of light diagnostics; try feeling the temperature (or measure if you can with a temperature gun) of the inlet and outlet hoses of the heater core, same with upper and lower radiator hoses. There should be a good difference in temperature between inlet and outlet of the radiator, whereas if you have a big difference on the heater core hoses, then that would indicate that it's clogged. The heater core hoses should be close to the same temperature.

Last edited:
Fan clutch is fine, the Temps rise to the middle of the gauge and stop. I'll plug in my Obd2 reader and check the exact Temps. But seeing the gauge and knowing what it reads at that point its somewhere in the 190s. But I will double check.

I've read that the potentiometer in the dash slider temp adjuster can go bad or loose its soldier. I am pulling the whole dash apart this week if I can't figure it out. I have no problem with a soldier iron and can easily mend that. I would love to see a picture of it. If that is the case. Also, I have great flow through the rad and can tell by touching/squeezing the hoses that they are still flowing and not clogged. I am guessing that it is something to do with the cable behind the stereo, the potentiometer on the slider, or the tstat. Are all those tstats that I posted the same? Cus I would like to order the Amazon one if they are. My daughter turns 1 on the 19th and would love some heat in the car. (sorry for playing to your better nature's.)

I am going to do an engine swap next summer. Just trying to make it there. And the head gasket sealer did its job. I no longer have oil in the coolant like I did before the flush, backflush, and blue devil.
It worked just fine until I put the tstat in. The rear did at least. Aside from the terrible clicking sound that increases in intensity as I adjust the heat to hotter.

I was reticent of even posting the blue devil gasket sealer as I knew people would just right it off and give me s#i+. But the heat worked all summer with it in there until I put the tstat in.. I just happened to do that at the same time I messed with the stereo... So I cannot guarantee it's one or the other. Also I was looking through my receipts and emails and realized that I had purchased the tstat from napa and it isn't oem. Everything else I had done I had purchased online oem. So please... Can I order that tstat from Amazon? Or should I order from one of the others?

On the Toyota parts page it says that the part number for the original was replaced by the new one that is on the Amazon page. I just want to double check that is true.

You can get the Toyota parts from amazon I bought my thermostat from there it was the correct Lexus/Toyota part.
Toyota thermostat 1fz-fe
Gasket sold separately (also a real Toyota part available on amazon)
Toyota thermostat gasket 1fz-fe

The amazon link you have in your post is not the correct part for a 1fz the correct part number is 90916-03117

Last edited:
Thank you very much. Ordered.
Not sure why this would be the heating problem, but I'm no engineer. I still am going to take apart the dash this week as I am re wiring my stereo and amp anyways. What am I looking for behind there as far as the cable is concerned?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom