1995 landcruiser Radiator question- (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all my SO-Cal peeps, I live in San Diego, and love going out to the desert via the "8" highway, I have only had my landcruiser for 8 months and took it out to Ocotillo wells for some desert driving which the landcruiser did well. My only concern was driving back over the mountains to san diego on the "8" (high hard highway climbing) my temp was going thru the roof, I checked my radiator no cracks, no leaking. I made it up the grade however I do not like putting that kind of heat on the cruiser.

Q1- is this normal for cruisers?

Q2- Any one else do this drive with similar results?

Q3- Any recommendations?

You need some sort of digital readout to see what your temperature actually is doing. With the stock gauges once they start moving up it can be too late.

1) It is not normal with a cooling system in good condition.

3)When's the last time the coolants been flushed/replaced, thermostat, fan clutch condition?
All are common to be looked at.

1) Rad is only part of the cooling system. How old? Model?
2) What were the actually temps?
3) Fan clutch condition? Modified?

What is through the roof. It is not uncommon for them to hit 220 the AC cuts out at 227 Degrees Fahrenheit

Sounds like a 150k mile cruiser awaiting its first headgasket. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Sounds like a 150k mile cruiser awaiting its first headgasket. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Not sure how you are coming to your conclusion, it’s unfounded if you ask me

Like others have said, what are you using to read the temperature? If you're using the stock gauge and it moved, you definitely overheated. If you're using a scangauge, torque, KOSO or some other real-life water temp gauge, what number did you hit? If you didn't already gather, the stock gauge is worthless--might as well be an idiot light.

The cooling system is a lot more than the radiator. In order of importance (in my humble opinion): 1) good working fan clutch and tight shroud, 2) Clean and clear coolant system (flush and good new coolant) 3) good working radiator (aluminum tends to perform better than brass in warm climates) 4) hoses, bits and bobs and 5) water pump (these are pretty robust and don't usually fail, but good "while you're in there")

thank you guys for your imput- im sorry I forgot to say " 1995 landcruiser, 315,000 miles, triple locked, previous owner replaced the radiator with a new factory replacement approx. 2 years ago. It is all stock besides paint, tires and shocks. Cruiser runs like a champ other then this issue. I am just reading the stock gauge and it was almost redline, I turned on heater, slowed down and made it. I just didn't like it. I Completely love my cruiser, and I do know she is 25 years old, but just wanted to know from other owners if this is a common issue or does my baby need attention.

I love visiting the Imperial Valley-Ocotillo-Glamis area where temps in the summer hit 115 routinely- is there any kind of "Desert Radiator" out there any one recommends?

Yes it is common with a cooling system that isn't working right. Many visit those areas with no problems.

It can hit 115 here and my 95 has zero problems staying cool.

The factory gauge has a flat spot and does not move from about 185 to 225. Once it start to move from the normal area your in danger.
I would start with a modified blue fan clutch from wit's end.
The number 1 mod to keep thing cool.
ScanGauge is a good idea or a aftermarket temperature gauge that reads out in numbers.

thank you guys for your imput- im sorry I forgot to say " 1995 landcruiser, 315,000 miles, triple locked, previous owner replaced the radiator with a new factory replacement approx. 2 years ago. It is all stock besides paint, tires and shocks. Cruiser runs like a champ other then this issue. I am just reading the stock gauge and it was almost redline, I turned on heater, slowed down and made it. I just didn't like it. I Completely love my cruiser, and I do know she is 25 years old, but just wanted to know from other owners if this is a common issue or does my baby need attention.

I love visiting the Imperial Valley-Ocotillo-Glamis area where temps in the summer hit 115 routinely- is there any kind of "Desert Radiator" out there any one recommends?
Haha, it is common, but not normal :)

So your radiator is 2 years old and toyota--that's good.

Step 1) Get a real temperature gauge. Any of the OBDII based ones are fine (scangauge, torque app, ultra gauge) or an actual probe and gauge (Koso, Autometer, etc. etc.)

Step 2) Modify your fan clutch by adding a higher viscosity fluid, or better yet, buy a new one, pre-modified. I tried modding my old one and it didn't do the job. I now have the one linked here: 80 Series 1FZ-FE Modified OEM Toyota Blue Fan Clutch

Step 3) make sure your fan shroud is properly secured to the radiator and all the gaps are filled with foam (OEM radiator comes with foam, so hopefully you're good there)

Step 4) In a hot environment, 2 years is about what you should ask of your coolant. Do a thorough flush and re-fill.

Every truck is different, but I'm guessing if you do all of the above, your temps will stay below 210 even on those hot and heavy days.

In addition to the items listed above verify that the engine timing is set to spec (3 degrees BTDC) and there are no restrictions in the exhaust or cats. Once your problem is solved, timing can be normally advanced to 6 degrees BTDC for better performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom