1995 landcruiser FJ80 front brake rework. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1995cruiser

GOLD Star
Threads
Hello I ran across this post in IH8TMUD (HDJ81 Brake Upgrade - With Part #s and Pics)
and I performed the pad swap that was recommended in the post. My landcruiser already had the 12" rotors and matching calipers.
After assembling my front end I repacked the front bearings and adjusted everything to the FSM. The pads fit exactly as the thread had explained. Removing the anti-squeal shims the pads fit. After torqueing the calipers into place everything is working good except the passenger side brake has a lot of drag. The driver side wheel spins free on stands. If I loosen the passenger side caliper bolts one thread it does as well. As soon as I torqued it becomes a lot of drag. Have any of you performed this upgrade on your similar landcruiser. I measured and if I was to install a 24Ga thick spacer at the top and bottom of the caliper mounting bracket and torqued it the drag is gone. This tells me the caliper wants to be inward 24Ga to be centered. Help any suggestions would be appreciated.

20201116_120442_resized.jpg

20201116_120519_resized.jpg

20201116_120646_resized.jpg

20201116_120741_resized.jpg

20201116_120829_resized.jpg

If you use the correct pads for the application (FZJ-80), you'll find that everything fits perfectly with the anti-squeal shims.
There is no benefit to using 100 Series pads. They do not fit properly and they overhang the rotor.

If you use the correct pads for the application (FZJ-80), you'll find that everything fits perfectly with the anti-squeal shims.
There is no benefit to using 100 Series pads. They do not fit properly and they overhang the rotor.
Hello thank you for the feedback. The 100 pads are even with the rotors no overhang. I was apposed to having more pad contact to the new rotors if possible.
Apparently I have something different than the post I was referring to and sent you. I actually don't know if this vehicle is supposed to have 12" rotors and the rotor protectors missing from both. Some speak of having 11" rotors. My venture was to get the brakes to ignore the fact I have 40 tires. When I purchased it it came with a new set of 42s. I removed and sold the 42s in an attempt to meet in the middle knowing that Landcruiser did a good job on that year but that's just to much tire for everything. I ran the 100 pads for 3 miles and came back to the shop to pull it apart and have a look. It was not going to end well. The pads were not waring square one side ok and the other not. I took your advise and replaced the pads with the new originals. The tires spin free on jack stands no binding on either side.
The brakes are pretty good.
Thanks for the short cut. I was heading down the wrong path. The content on these forums is trial and error for me. Good and bad depending on if you really know what you have to start out with.
Thanks a lot.

Hello thank you for the feedback. The 100 pads are even with the rotors no overhang. I was apposed to having more pad contact to the new rotors if possible.
Apparently I have something different than the post I was referring to and sent you. I actually don't know if this vehicle is supposed to have 12" rotors and the rotor protectors missing from both. Some speak of having 11" rotors. My venture was to get the brakes to ignore the fact I have 40 tires. When I purchased it it came with a new set of 42s. I removed and sold the 42s in an attempt to meet in the middle knowing that Landcruiser did a good job on that year but that's just to much tire for everything. I ran the 100 pads for 3 miles and came back to the shop to pull it apart and have a look. It was not going to end well. The pads were not waring square one side ok and the other not. I took your advise and replaced the pads with the new originals. The tires spin free on jack stands no binding on either side.
The brakes are pretty good.
Thanks for the short cut. I was heading down the wrong path. The content on these forums is trial and error for me. Good and bad depending on if you really know what you have to start out with.
Thanks a lot.
Also make sure your wheel bearings are torqued to 30-35 LB-FT for the inner nut, especially with larger tires.

Also make sure your wheel bearings are torqued to 30-35 LB-FT for the inner nut, especially with larger tires.
That's a big 10/4 Hey does your 96 come stock with 12" rotors in the front.

That's a big 10/4 Hey does your 96 come stock with 12" rotors in the front.
I don't know. I didn't measure them. It's a USA spec 1FZ-FE, so whatever that is.

Hello thank you for the feedback. The 100 pads are even with the rotors no overhang.

you can see the overhang in the first 2 photos - that bit me in the ass on our '95 because my visual inspections left me believing we had full pad width; we actually were on the backing plates! (First 80 here, also. IThere's definitely a learning curve.)

The overhang is minimal and IMO not of concern. There is some conjecture about whether the 100 pads improve stopping, but nothing too difficult to work out, and I consider you win some and you lose some.

Bigger pads means you have to press harder on the brake pedal to get the same retardation as the smaller pad, throw in larger tyres and your general driving experience around town is not as good especially if your car is auto, remember bigger wheels means poorer stopping distance for a given pedal pressure.

If you are a gentle driver you may get a few more miles out of the 100 pads but would guess it is minimal?

As an aside I have seen 80's with shims between the caliper and axle mount, I was so surprised they fell out and I did not notice. Why they were there I don't know, what I do know they were 20" and I did not put them back in as the caliper centered up just fine with the 80 pads and shims. Perhaps a previous owner fitted 100 pads, but they were 80 pads and anti squeal shims in place as per factory.

I went with slotted and dimpled (NOT cross drilled), decent pads and have been very happy with the setup.

regards

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom