Builds 1995 HZJ77 wagon build - Japan sourced (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Your license plate. It should have your prefecture followed by numbers, 100, 400, 300, etc. the numbers are related to vehicle size. Sometimes 77’s are tagged 100 or 400 with no rhyme or reason. If your tagged 400 I wouldn’t touch any suspension or bar work for fear of getting it tagged as a 100. Considerable cost difference in registration, road tax, jci.

Edit, based on your photos, your truck is a 100 series plate.

I may have a carrier in the near future for you if you want it.
The three digit number is based on a combination of things (displacement, weight, dimensions, etc.). The difference between the 100 and 400 plate on the 70 series is the factory fender flairs. It seems trivial but somehow that width difference matters.

The three digit number is based on a combination of things (displacement, weight, dimensions, etc.). The difference between the 100 and 400 plate on the 70 series is the factory fender flairs. It seems trivial but somehow that width difference matters.
Correct to an extent. While in Japan, my truck (PZJ77) was registered as a 100. It doesn’t have flares, never did. Conversely @NanaMaru truck (HZJ77) is a 400 plate, and has flares. I haven’t seen any concrete definitions specific to the 70 series which delineates the differences. Case in point the OP here has a 131 tag. I truely believe this truck sits in an awkward black hole and can shift between the two plate series depending on the safety inspectors whim.

Your license plate. It should have your prefecture followed by numbers, 100, 400, 300, etc. the numbers are related to vehicle size. Sometimes 77’s are tagged 100 or 400 with no rhyme or reason. If your tagged 400 I wouldn’t touch any suspension or bar work for fear of getting it tagged as a 100. Considerable cost difference in registration, road tax, jci.

Edit, based on your photos, your truck is a 100 series plate.

I may have a carrier in the near future for you if you want it.

Yeah, not really sure about the numbers... they seem pretty random.

Hmm... I don't have a 5th wheel/tire currently, and I plan on making a bumper mounted one like this (Expedition One) in the future:

Production bumper (use 40 series tail lights in bumper).jpg

But if you find one for a decent price, let me know!

Correct to an extent. While in Japan, my truck (PZJ77) was registered as a 100. It doesn’t have flares, never did. Conversely @NanaMaru truck (HZJ77) is a 400 plate, and has flares. I haven’t seen any concrete definitions specific to the 70 series which delineates the differences. Case in point the OP here has a 131 tag. I truely believe this truck sits in an awkward black hole and can shift between the two plate series depending on the safety inspectors whim.

Most things here sit in an awkward black hole that can shift depending on the safety inspectors/police/immigration worker/ etc's whims... T_T

Most things here sit in an awkward black hole that can shift depending on the safety inspectors/police/immigration worker/ etc's whims... T_T
Agreed, mine is a HZJ77 with flares (130 plate) and my buddy has a PZJ77 without (400 plate). The dealer that brokered my purchase explained all of it when I registered it in Okinawa. It’s now in N.C.

^ that looks like a TT bumper.

A "TT" bumper?

I got the pics off of the Expedition One FB group page. It's listed in another thread (comment #16 70 series bumpers, rocker skids etc etc) as a "prototype" as of 2014. (but isn't listed on their site currently)

I like their locking link system that makes it so you don't have to have a separate latch to open/close when opening/closing the rear door.

A "TT" bumper?

I got the pics off of the Expedition One FB group page. It's listed in another thread (comment #16 70 series bumpers, rocker skids etc etc) as a "prototype" as of 2014. (but isn't listed on their site currently)

I like their locking link system that makes it so you don't have to have a separate latch to open/close when opening/closing the rear door.

That bumper is made by Expedition One and sold exclusively by @cruiseroutfit. It has been available for a couple years, not sure of current inventory status but hit them up at 801-563-1277. The fit is so nice.

Here's the thread with more info:

Updated rear bumper pics (was Project LXXIV)

As Steve noted those are our (Cruiser Outfitters) exclusive bumper offerings. We spent a great deal of time working with ExpOne to flesh out what we felt was the best 7x read bumper on the market with a matching front to compliment it. The pic you posted as well as the others in that thread were taken here in our shop during different phases of the build. We are absolutely still offering them, just shipped a handful this last month.

A couple of recent installs :cool:

IMG_4772.JPG

IMG_4822.JPG

IMG_4824.jpg

IMG_4825.JPG

Let us know if we can help set you up with a front or rear!

That bumper is made by Expedition One and sold exclusively by @cruiseroutfit. It has been available for a couple years, not sure of current inventory status but hit them up at 801-563-1277. The fit is so nice.

Here's the thread with more info:

Updated rear bumper pics (was Project LXXIV)

As Steve noted those are our (Cruiser Outfitters) exclusive bumper offerings. We spent a great deal of time working with ExpOne to flesh out what we felt was the best 7x read bumper on the market with a matching front to compliment it. The pic you posted as well as the others in that thread were taken here in our shop during different phases of the build. We are absolutely still offering them, just shipped a handful this last month.

A couple of recent installs :cool:

View attachment 1887457

View attachment 1887459

View attachment 1887460

View attachment 1887461

Let us know if we can help set you up with a front or rear!

Thanks a lot for the information! The 70-Series bumpers weren't listed on the Expedition One website, so I wasn't sure they were still in production.

Shipping to japan on a set of bumpers is probably more than I want to pay at the moment... so I'll have to wait until I ship this back stateside when I move in a year or so. I'll definitely be giving y'all a call after that though!

Thanks a lot for the information! The 70-Series bumpers weren't listed on the Expedition One website, so I wasn't sure they were still in production.

Shipping to japan on a set of bumpers is probably more than I want to pay at the moment... so I'll have to wait until I ship this back stateside when I move in a year or so. I'll definitely be giving y'all a call after that though!

We would love to help when you do!

- Kurt

We would love to help when you do!

- Kurt

I currently have OEM springs with a 2" shackle lift. I'm having to replace the shocks and figure I'll replace all of the bushings as well while I'm at it. I asked Toyota here to look up the bushings but their prices seem a bit high.

I'm not sure which bushings I'd need according to your website. (The only year listed for a 77 is 1985... so does that mean all model years from 1985 use the same parts?)

Just curious to compare prices between Japan and the US, what would a full set of front/rear leaf spring bushings cost? And would you suggest going with OEM or Aftermarket?

Also, how much would an axle travel stop bumper run?

All 7X have the same suspension bushings.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the bumpstop. I missing one on mine, I was going to replace it, but I learned 70’s don’t flex :rofl:

No they don't. Don't generalize.

There is significant differentiation in the suspension systems between an HZJ70 and an LJ70, for example.

Or between an HZJ77 and a KZJ77.

Beno, intent is a lost art, but I see your point knowing the OP is new to 7X chassis. Please don’t for get the modern 70’s as an example, which are also not the same.

For the OP,
You have, what is considered a heavy duty 70. It has leaf springs. All 70’s with leaf springs in the front and rear have the same bushings.

Beno mentioned, Land Cruiser Prados are different in that they have coil sprung fronts. By that virtue they do not have the same bushings. I hope you find that helpful.

I currently have OEM springs with a 2" shackle lift. I'm having to replace the shocks and figure I'll replace all of the bushings as well while I'm at it. I asked Toyota here to look up the bushings but their prices seem a bit high.

I'm not sure which bushings I'd need according to your website. (The only year listed for a 77 is 1985... so does that mean all model years from 1985 use the same parts?)

Just curious to compare prices between Japan and the US, what would a full set of front/rear leaf spring bushings cost? And would you suggest going with OEM or Aftermarket?

Also, how much would an axle travel stop bumper run?

These are the rubber bushings you need, these are all: Cruiser Outfitters Suspension Page

FRONT:

Fits 1985-199x All 7x Series Front Only (aftermarket Japanese rubber)
(Fits Front Only, 6 Req. Per Leaf Spring, 12 per vehicle)
Part# SUSLBUSH - $2.00 ea

REAR:

Fits 1985-199x 75/77 Series Troopy/Truck/Wagon Rear Only (aftermarket Japanese rubber)
(Fits Rear Only, 6 Req. Per Leaf Spring, 12 per vehicle)
Part# SUS18009 - $3.50 ea

or the OEM Toyota variant

Fits 1985-199x 75/77 Series Troopy/Truck/Wagon Rear Only (OEM Toyota)
Part# SUS18009OEM - $6.75 ea

We also have Polyurethane available and in stock for both options. The aftermarket Japanese rubber have been fantastic options, we've been selling/using them for several decades now.

As for the axle bump stop, do you need the front or rear?

Beno, intent is a lost art, but I see your point knowing the OP is new to 7X chassis. Please don’t for get the modern 70’s as an example, which are also not the same.

For the OP,
You have, what is considered a heavy duty 70. It has leaf springs. All 70’s with leaf springs in the front and rear have the same bushings....

Fwiw, the 70/71/73/74 use the same bushing F&R while a 75/77 of the same vintage use the same front bushing as the others but a different rear bushing. All bets are off with aftermarket springs, in the OME world the same pattern applies.

Fits 1985-199x All 7x Series Front Only
(Fits Front Only, 6 Req. Per Leaf Spring, 12 per vehicle)

Fits 1985-199x All 70/71/73/74 Series Rear Only

Fits 1985-199x 75/77 Series Troopy/Truck/Wagon Rear Only (Aftermarket)
Part# SUS18009 - $3.50 ea

No they don't. Don't generalize.

There is significant differentiation in the suspension systems between an HZJ70 and an LJ70, for example.

Or between an HZJ77 and a KZJ77.

For the OP,
You have, what is considered a heavy duty 70. It has leaf springs. All 70’s with leaf springs in the front and rear have the same bushings.

Beno mentioned, Land Cruiser Prados are different in that they have coil sprung fronts. By that virtue they do not have the same bushings. I hope you find that helpful.

Alright, that does help a lot.
And while I'm new to 70 series, I'm not new to LandCruisers or cars. So I know there's a difference between the bushings that would be used for the leaf sprung front end vs the coil front end. I just didn't know if all of the leaf sprung systems used the same bushings or not. (Because the front and rear bushings actually have different part numbers according to Toyota's system. But, Toyota's system can sometimes be needlessly specific and differentiate between parts that don't need differentiation. - IE the Toyota dealer next to my apartment said that the FRONT end bushings were 48110A (shackle side) & 48110B (frame side) while the REAR end were 48210B (frame side) & 48210Q (shackle side)
And even Cruiser Outfitters has a Front & Rear bushing differentiation listed on their website.

Anyways, what would a full set of bushings generally run?

Thanks for y'all's help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom