eBay 1995 FZJ80 - Not locked - Not mine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Link

I've always seen this dealer selling 80's for pretty crazy prices. Does anyone know about how trustworthy they are? Seems like they have clean trucks. I called and they say that mechanics "go through the truck to make sure there's nothing wrong with it." That doesn't really hold much water but whatever. I asked them if they have any maintenance records from the previous owner and they're said "no, but check the carfax report posted." Well I guess there's 20 years of no maintenance records, so that doesn't help at all. Ha.

Anywho, thought I'd get your guys' thoughts on this dealer? I'd very much rather buy from one of you guys since I trust you guys more, but haven't had much luck this past year for what I'm looking for.

Wowsers, glad I asked. I'm always searching, so I thought I'd ask. Even called and asked the guy to send videos of the undercarriage and engine startup since I'm located in Chicago and he said he probably won't have time since it'll sell by eod. Lol. gtfo

also, asked the guy if he's talked with the previous owner. it was astounding to me that the undercarriage was that clean and yet it was in Chicago for about 20 years. no WAY it can be that rust-free living in chicago for 20 years with ~130k miles. that's when i realized i shoudl ask you guys first

thanks for the wisdom

I don't have any knowledge of the dealer or this vehicle specifically, just a note on CarFax, other maintenance records and your search in general.

Few people pass on thier records to a dealer, often times the reason they didn't sell on thier own, don't want the hassle.

CarFax pulls data from several sources, one of those are franchise dealer service repair orders, which is the biggest source of maintenance records.

Unfortunately, depending on the dealer, state ( there is a requirement that varys in length of time records are preserved) type/brand of software provider etc. Many old records were no longer or never in their electronic system when CarFax started pulling data, so there is nothing to report on many older vehicles.

When you buy from a business it is just that to them, not a hobby or passion Always expect to do more.

The point, yes once in a while we luck out and the owner kept a nice binder of records, but that is rare on a utility vehicle ( more likely on a 911 etc.) and we are on our own.

In this case, I would ask for a written copy of the inspection performed and arrange a PPI if there is no way I could see in person which I strongly recommend. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and everyone's version of nice, condition, and even rust varys by individual, location, and intended use, that is why I prefer my own opinion in person.

On most 80's of this mileage that I have owned and looked at is the best you can hope for are timely oil changes, few belts and hoses, brakes and tires once in a while and the very occasional head gasket. As you mentioned, there are very few 80's that have had the preferred Mud level baselining and extreme maintenance that is discussed here.

I hope this helps good luck finding your 80!

Thanks, John! Will hopefully be riding into the sunset with an 80 on day 🥺

How is this legal?? There are definitely grounds for litigation

It seems hard to get $ back from sellers who rip folks off. There are many stories here.

Most notorious (if you have some time to read): Not mine, but supposed 2016 Land Cruiser Double Cab Pickup for sale... | Page 68 | IH8MUD Forum

There is a lot of good information and advice on this forum but probably the best is that if you are buying an 80 it's a 20 year old truck. Try to find someone you can trust and expect to put a little work and $ into it. The 1FZ is a great engine that is one you can learn to work on and fun doing it.

Good luck.

It seems hard to get $ back from sellers who rip folks off. There are many stories here.

Most notorious (if you have some time to read): Not mine, but supposed 2016 Land Cruiser Double Cab Pickup for sale... | Page 68 | IH8MUD Forum

There is a lot of good information and advice on this forum but probably the best is that if you are buying an 80 it's a 20 year old truck. Try to find someone you can trust and expect to put a little work and $ into it. The 1FZ is a great engine that is one you can learn to work on and fun doing it.

Good luck.

For sure, I've always had that expectation. No stranger to wrenching, so I'm excited to start on a future 80

Mud discussion of this scumbag's tricks here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom