1995 FJ80 Overhaul (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I took the plunge. My FJ80 is currently undergoing the following:

Picked up a full size ARB roof rack. Sweet!

3rd members were sent out to CruiserOutfitters to get regeared with 4.88's f/r and ARB lockers. Got them back and completed front and rear axle rebuild this past weekend. (In the rain and it sucked!) along with new brakes and rotors in the rear. The front was near new.

Been gutting the interior and air chiseling off the factory sound mat in prep for Armadillo lining the tub. (This stuff came off great while doing it in about 35-45 degree weather.
Cut out for rear cargo box and needs to be welded in.
Mount 37" BFG's (currently on back order)
Awaiting arrival of IPOR rear bumper with dual swing outs.
Some before and I'll get some more pics of the process and after pics if I have enough space for uploading them.
Enjoy!! I know I will...

Last edited:
Looks like a good plan

Could you also add into the first post the lift you are starting with?

1995 FZJ80
04/16/2011
SPECS:
4.5L ENGINE INLINE-6 CYLINDER DOHC 24-VALVE WITH EFI, 4-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FULLTIME 4WD (Full ARB locked), 4-WHEEL DISC BRAKES, LEATHER TRIM GRAY INTERIOR, ARB DELUXE BULL BAR Modified with Warn Winch 9500ti, MAN-A-FRE 4F3R OME J SPRINGS w/ 80SB30F SUSPENSION SYSTEM, OME419 COMP FRONT 4", OME-863J OME COIL SPRING REAR, OME-N73L SHOCKS, OME-N74L, OME STEERING STABILIZER, FRAB 4-INCH FRONT CONTROL ARM DROP BRACKET, 1-INCH FRONT COIL SPRING SPACER, SLEE Front Driveline
Dual yellowtops, Weld on rock sliders

Upcoming mods:
SLEE front drop bracket, replacing MAN-A-FRE Rear 4" drop bracket
315 75R16 being replaced with 345 75R16
Front 1inch rubber spacer being replaced with MetalTech 2"
IPOR rear bumper w/dual swingouts
Armadillo line tub interior
Cargo area box mod

Last edited:
more pics...

aren't those 3rds sweet looking with ARB's and 4.88's in them :) Very heavy too!

Last edited:
Very nice! Looking forward to the rear cargo box pics. Are you welding a drop in box that will hang where the OE spare tire used to sit?

Yep, that's the plan to weld in a drop in cargo area storage box. Already made the box and it fits very snug and nice. I'm in the process of scuffing the interior and the cargo box making ready for rubberizing the tub and box inside and out after I get it welded in.

Armadillo lining = ruberizing = yes. I guess that is what my definition of "rubberizing" means.

Yep, that's the plan to weld in a drop in cargo area storage box. Already made the box and it fits very snug and nice. I'm in the process of scuffing the interior and the cargo box making ready for rubberizing the tub and box inside and out after I get it welded in.

VERY interested in this!

Cruiser went in today to get the interior tub lined with Ultimate Linings at Epoxy | Insulation | Lining | Polyurethane | Coating| Ultimate Linings. Since where I live is pretty well remote there were only three places to get it lined and since time is money to me and I don't have a lot of it I opted to pay someone to line it for me...granted the misses and I did most all the prep work. Odd thing is...of all three places I went to I got three different stories about how well the interior needed to be prepped, as far as "scuffing" and whatnot...after banging my head against the wall I decided on one company that seemed to present me with the best options and seemed to know most about what they were talking about and I feel they will do the best job for me and the beast. After all, I wasn't to keen on this other company taking my doors off to spray the lining inside...not after I spent hours wiring up my new speakers and not to mention what other dings and dents the doors might sustain in the process.
As for the cargo box. I'm still working through the best design for the lid. I want it to come fully out, so I'm doing more research on recessed slam latches and will have to work through that build after I get the rig back early next week. I'm already a nervous wreck about getting it back and not having spray all over in it....
My plans for the cargo box will be to primer, paint, then use the Autozone rubber coating spray on the bottom, I'll post some pics of the box when I get it painted. Then I'll weld it in place, rubber coat the inside and around the edges to blend in with the other coating. The factory carpet will be going back in over the top, so that part won't matter as far as the coating mix matching. I'm sure it all will turn out well seems I'm a perfectionist..well, as much as I can be with some things. I should have took some pictures before and after the lining. I think I'll head down to the shop tomorrow to grab a few before they coat it.
Cheers!

X2!

Iv'e been holding off on building a set of drawers in lue of a drop in box in the cargo area as well.

Is cargo box aluminum or steel?

Love the color of your 80. I looked for months for a blue one but didnt find one clean enough to purchase.

Nice rig!

updates

Thanks! When I first bought my rig I didn't think I would like the blue, but after having it, it has definitely grown on me. Especially after seeing so many green ones around.

I went out and captured some before pics of the cruiser in the shop. They will be spraying an etched primer in it before spraying in the rubber liner.

I sprayed the box today with two good coats of primer and one coat of gloss black before giving it the first coat of rubber spray (which I don't have a picture of yet.) I'll flip the box when it dries and get some better pictures of the inside. I think I had it made 20x24x7, deep enough to put some stuff and keep it above the frame rail and not to deep that I have to dig for hours to look for something. A nice decent size storage to put my winch cable, some straps, and a few other things. I'll spray the rubber liner in it after I get it welded in.

Cheers!

Last edited:
more pics...

BTW...the drop in box is made of 14gauge steel. Not to heavy, but heavy enough and sturdy enough for what will be used for and it doesn't stick down to low so I'm not to worried about slamming it on something or bending it. The lid will be flush with the floor once the carpet goes back in over the rubber lining. One of the Gdane in the back ground.

Last edited:
One of when I picked up the cruiser and another of a fav destination spot.

Last edited:
A quieter ride, waterproofing, rustproofing, and personal satisfaction i guess.

Update

Here are some recent shots of the lining done. Sorry for the crappy pics, I guess my 5mpxl camera phone doesn't do as well as I thought.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom