1995 4.5L oils leaks. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1995cruiser

GOLD Star
Threads
Hello I have been working on this vehicle for roughly 6 months now since purchased. The guy I purchased it from dropped me on my head on a lot of stuff. Now that I have dug deeper into this project things are starting to get better. Originally the motor had lots of oil leaks. I started on the front of the motor getting the oil pump cover distributor o-ring and reworked the power steering leaks. We also did the front main seal while in there. We removed the transmission and transfer-case freshened up the transmission and pressure tested it changed all of the seals. Dissembled the transfer case which had a low range gear kit installed by Torfab out of Everett wa prior to me buying. I wanted to mod the transfer case to part time and I did. Installed the locking hub kit and transfer-case spindle. Replaced all of the seals and reworked and aligned the 4x4 the actuator motor while in there. I had to space the transfer case down at the cross member a 1/2 inch due to the transfer case was touching the body up top. We removed the rear main seal while the transmission was out. Inspected the seal surface on the crank to make sure is was not grooved or scratched and it looks flawless. The vehicle appeared to have a rear main leak when purchased. I re installed the transfer-case and transmission. This all turned our really nice only left with 1 oil leak. Everything else is spotless.
I drove for 5 miles and brought back to the shop and noticed the rear main still leaks. We have used mirrors and inspection camera to see and unfortunately it looks like maybe the oil leak was not the rear main. We did reseal the lower pan when we did the oil change. This 4.5 L has a lower and upper oil pan. I suspect that the oil might be leaking from the upper around the arch area. I made sure the oil was not coming from the top of the motor. I drove it 5 miles and parked it for a couple of days and when I came back to it there was 2 or 3 drops of oil on the floor. It does not leak a lot. The motor is out of a 1996 and has 160000 miles on it.

I was wondering if the upper pan can be removed and resealed without pulling the transmission and transfer-case out. Any experiences or recommendations would be appreciated.

Yes. Not as easy as the lower. Several posts describing this but it’s common to unbolt motor mounts and lift the motor an inch or two to get the upper pan out. I’ll see if I can’t dig up a thread on it.

Yes. Not as easy as the lower. Several posts describing this but it’s common to unbolt motor mounts and lift the motor an inch or two to get the upper pan out. I’ll see if I can’t dig up a thread on it.
That would be awesome thank you. I look forward to it.

You culd have a oil level sensor leak too. I just changed mine with a new gasket and the sensor itself was leaking, weird. I new used sensor later and all is well.

The sensor where is it located?

Drivers side at the oil pan.

OL1.jpg

Here's an older thread with updates over the years, with step-by-step instructions to R&R and reseal the upper oil pan.

Here's a link with a photo (red arrow) showing the location of the oil level sensor:

Last edited:
Drivers side at the oil pan.

View attachment 2349618
Thank you. We dove into the oil leak and found the sensor leak at this location when we removed the upper oil pan. The sensor was one of the leaks. The main oil leak was on the arch in the rear of the pan. One we removed the upper pan things became really obvious. We knurled both arch front and rear and re-sealed the upper pan and temporarily sealed the oil sensor Toyota did not have the rubber gasket so we sealed the old one. Really appreciate the help. The upper and lower oil pan reseal took approximately 4 hrs. Since my rig is lifted I did not have to raise the motor to get the pan out. All of the leaks are gone. Thanks really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom