1994 wheeler project ideas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone I’ve been lurking for years and finally decided to post. I’ve been on many forums throughout the years and this one is by far the best group of people I’ve came across. A few years ago I picked up a 1991 Fj80 to be a wheeler. It had a old TBI Chevy 350 in it that had a dead hole. I ran It for awhile till it started running pretty bad and then Ls swapped it. Then the value of these things skyrocketed and I struggled to beat it up anymore on the trail. So I’ve been looking for another one that has some major body damage or rust. I finally found one and it happened to have factory E Lockers. The price was right so I’m the proud new owner of a beat and totaled FJZ80. I got it home and it fired right up and sounded Terrible till it built some oil pressure and then it ran good. So I pulled the front end out of the tires and I was able to drive it a little and I got the front locker to lock and unlock after driving around a bit. The rear still won’t lock up but I haven’t messed with it yet. I need to find a steering arm for the right side knuckle. Its bent so I can’t turn right. Anyways I’m looking for advice and ideas for a cheap ish wheeler build that will clear 37s. It will be trailered 90% of the time so drivability isn’t a huge concern. Thanks

Hi everyone I’ve been lurking for years and finally decided to post. I’ve been on many forums throughout the years and this one is by far the best group of people I’ve came across. A few years ago I picked up a 1991 Fj80 to be a wheeler. It had a old TBI Chevy 350 in it that had a dead hole. I ran It for awhile till it started running pretty bad and then Ls swapped it. Then the value of these things skyrocketed and I struggled to beat it up anymore on the trail. So I’ve been looking for another one that has some major body damage or rust. I finally found one and it happened to have factory E Lockers. The price was right so I’m the proud new owner of a beat and totaled FJZ80. I got it home and it fired right up and sounded Terrible till it built some oil pressure and then it ran good. So I pulled the front end out of the tires and I was able to drive it a little and I got the front locker to lock and unlock after driving around a bit. The rear still won’t lock up but I haven’t messed with it yet. I need to find a steering arm for the right side knuckle. Its bent so I can’t turn right. Anyways I’m looking for advice and ideas for a cheap ish wheeler build that will clear 37s. It will be trailered 90% of the time so drivability isn’t a huge concern. Thanks
Check with these guys for used parts:
@slow95z (Georgia)
@arcteryx (Texas)

You're in WA, so you may have some luck at salvage yards up there.

What year FZJ to determine axles and parts necessary?

Welcome!

Please post pics of all you have and whatever carnage is on the one you're trying to make a trail toy.

Thank you for the instant response and information. It’s a 1994 with 245k miles and has more oil under it then in it. Lol I just noticed that it’s not keeping the oil system primed either.

Here is a few pictures of my 91 that’s ls swapped.

73C7259B-3FC7-46E3-8495-5CEDE9256350.jpeg

F74CCC32-FD23-46BF-8A03-A7BEA2CCEC04.jpeg

2304F4E3-7F3E-4A17-AA70-F1ED0C04FF6F.jpeg

B8882653-1C64-46B1-8510-D3CB3E09345B.jpeg

50445DD5-C68B-4B7A-B75A-C83314B144D5.jpeg

For sheet metal check with Alex79, he has posts in the parts section of classifieds. He is in Sacramento if you can't find some closer to you in Washington. I picked up a door and some rocker cuts from him recently.

As for wheeler on 37's. I have a similar project I just stared, except mine is rusty not totaled. I'm going 3" dobinson kit, 37's, White Knuckle Offroad Sliders, Trail Tailor skid plate, 4x4 labs bumper DIY kits, redline kit to move the radius arms 1" forward, caster plates, and as much preventative maintenance as I can do before August. Not doing drawers, swingouts, roof racks, etc. Going to keep it as simple as I can.

Cool cool!
There was someone who had swapped in newer Tundra sheet metal on a 80 somewhere, would be neat to do a project unique like that with this. maybe even one of the fiberglass one piece baja style hoods or something that fold forward.

Edit the fiberwerx one piece body kits would be cool, youd have some fiberglass work to do, broken link below
fiberwerx.com/collections/toyota-pickup/products/1984-1995-toyota-pickup-to-11-tacoma-one-piece-conversion

For sheet metal check with Alex79, he has posts in the parts section of classifieds. He is in Sacramento if you can't find some closer to you in Washington. I picked up a door and some rocker cuts from him recently.

As for wheeler on 37's. I have a similar project I just stared, except mine is rusty not totaled. I'm going 3" dobinson kit, 37's, White Knuckle Offroad Sliders, Trail Tailor skid plate, 4x4 labs bumper DIY kits, redline kit to move the radius arms 1" forward, caster plates, and as much preventative maintenance as I can do before August. Not doing drawers, swingouts, roof racks, etc. Going to keep it as simple as I can.
Sounds like a nice setup. The Dobinson springs look like they perform the best. I’m thinking about 3 linking the front. I already have some ballistic joints and tubing. I have never built one but thankfully others have and I’m comfortable with the fab work and have the tools. Bumper kits are tempting and the price isn’t bad. On my 91 I started with a 5’ piece of 6”x6”x5/16“ angle iron and some 1/4“ scraps It may be a little overkill But it does the job.

Sounds like a nice setup. The Dobinson springs look like they perform the best. I’m thinking about 3 linking the front. I already have some ballistic joints and tubing. I have never built one but thankfully others have and I’m comfortable with the fab work and have the tools. Bumper kits are tempting and the price isn’t bad. On my 91 I started with a 5’ piece of 6”x6”x5/16“ angle iron and some 1/4“ scraps It may be a little overkill But it does the job.

I've never done any welding or fab work. A friend is going to teach me to weld to get the bumpers done. I want to learn to weld and the time frame to get bumpers is way shorter this way. Saves some money too, but I figure the time/beer/favor owed might offset quite a bit of the savings. 3 links look awesome, but I'll see how welding bumpers go before thinking anything about going that route.

Cool cool!
There was someone who had swapped in newer Tundra sheet metal on a 80 somewhere, would be neat to do a project unique like that with this. maybe even one of the fiberglass one piece baja style hoods or something that fold forward.

Edit the fiberwerx one piece body kits would be cool, youd have some fiberglass work to do, broken link below
fiberwerx.com/collections/toyota-pickup/products/1984-1995-toyota-pickup-to-11-tacoma-one-piece-conversion
Those would look cool. But if it looks nice I’ll feel bad when I mess it up. Lol I have a manual tube roller from another project.It would be fun to roll new wheel arches out of 1 3/4 tube and tie it into a tube bumper and the rock sliders.

I've never done any welding or fab work. A friend is going to teach me to weld to get the bumpers done. I want to learn to weld and the time frame to get bumpers is way shorter this way. Saves some money too, but I figure the time/beer/favor owed might offset quite a bit of the savings. 3 links look awesome, but I'll see how welding bumpers go before thinking anything about going that route.
Welding is all about set up and practice. I’m sure the bumper will turn out great. I used raptor bed liner on mine when I was done and it turned out really good.

you can buy that steering arm still new or ask here. i dont part out front axles anymore. i always get stuck with too many left over bits that take forever to sell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom