1994 Wheel Lug Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed, at some point, I’ve broken a wheel lug on the DS front. I was looking at the replacement part on wits end, but never tried to replace before.

Is it a PITA or not?

you need to remove the hub/disc assembly from the stub axle to do this as the lugs are pressed in from the back (inner) side of the hub. I cant recall if the disc needs to be separated from the hub in order to access the lugs though - you will see once the hub is off pretty quickly

I bought my truck with 1 missing on the passenger rear. a second one broke when I was installing new wheels/tires. I managed to do the rears on the truck, but it was a journey. There is a Lisle tool that looks slick but it DOES NOT work for us. Since yours is on the front, I'm not sure I would leave it alone for very long. How are your knuckles and wheel bearings? This would be a prime opportunity to check a bunch of things out.
You might be able to get one stud pulled/changed on the rig, but it's way safer and easier on the bench.

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. I believe my knuckles and bearings are in good shape, but it would be a good time to check. I had planned on doing my tie rod ends but I’ll definitely have to budget to knock the rest out.

Will I for sure have to take the hub and everything off to get to it?

From memory....which is fuzzy...
remove tire.
Remove caliper.
Remove the hub nuts and cone washers and flange
Bend star washer tabs straight and remove the two large wheel bearing nuts
Pull hub off
Remove bolts holding rotor on
Beat the studs out with a hammer.

You can repack bearing if you want and put in new seals if they are needed.
I am sure i am forgetting something

Wits'End has a tool that you can replace studs on the trail.

For what it's a worth, I've been missing one on my front passenger side for about 6 years now. You don't wanna rush into these things.... .

@VFRMAN Fargo? I graduated from South High.
@joshrabon I don't want to advise you on a course of action that will prove to be false. I think at a minimum the front splash shield would be in the way. Part #11
Like many things 80 series, there's some debate about what a trail fix (drawing the stud through using a lug nut, etc) vs. pressing them in the proper way does to the fatigue life of the studs.
as mentioned above, @NLXTACY makes a trail stud repair tool. I think there's a thread on here about it if you scroll though his content.

1663732802870.png

@VFRMAN Fargo? I graduated from South High.
@joshrabon I don't want to advise you on a course of action that will prove to be false. I think at a minimum the front splash shield would be in the way. Part #11
Like many things 80 series, there's some debate about what a trail fix (drawing the stud through using a lug nut, etc) vs. pressing them in the proper way does to the fatigue life of the studs.
as mentioned above, @NLXTACY makes a trail stud repair tool. I think there's a thread on here about it if you scroll though his content.

View attachment 3120050
Yep, me too. 1987. You?

'92 I spent about an hour on google earth last year trying to figure out which house used to have an fj55 tucked in between some hedges and a garage along an alley somewhere between 5th and 9th ave S and 23rd and 25th st. It was a green and white 55. Last time I saw it was probably in '99. Ha ha. How's that for a complete thread hijack?

That's funny. I know where a green and white pig has been sitting for years, but it must be his parts truck because he has another green and white one that he drives. This is my old 55 that I sold to guy from San Diego and drove that damn thing all the way home 2000+ miles and didn't miss a beat. I don't think I ever had it over 65 the whole time I had it.

FB_IMG_1588860338855.jpg

FB_IMG_1588860331735.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom