1994 Transmission Problem

• Thread starter Dume Room
  • Start date
  • Watchers 5
D

Dume Room

Occasionally my cruiser will start out in 2nd or 3rd gear requiring me to manually downshift to get started. Is my Automatic Transmission Gear Position Sensor worn out or is there another problem?
Thank you,
Brian

M

MickeyB

How many miles on the tranny. I have a 94 as well and maybe something up looking at down the road?

BILT4ME

BILT4ME

sogafarm

sogafarm

First thing I would check is the kick down cable adjustment, it's free. If that's correct, then go with the solenoids.

effjay80

effjay80

SILVER Star
I just bought 4 (what I think are) new solenoids for my 94. Is it unusual to have what looks like ATF in the bag with the "new" solenoid?

slow95z

slow95z

Always parting 80s
I just bought 4 (what I think are) new solenoids for my 94. Is it unusual to have what looks like ATF in the bag with the "new" solenoid?
the ones i have bough,t from the links i put above, have all come new in a white paper box. they were dry and looked brand new like any other part. nothing was wet in a bag.

M

MickeyB

I’m at 210,000 so may be in the same boat pretty soon. I bought all 4 Solenoids from cobra transmission back in June. Have not changed them though since granny is working fine.

effjay80

effjay80

SILVER Star
So I also bought these from Cobra. They look new but have a trace of ATF in the bag and I'm wondering if they were pulled from some deceased Isuzu. Hence my question as I'd rather be safe than sorry.
20220103 103210

ppc

ppc

M Go Blue
A little ATF keeps them lubricated and preventing rust. For the price you paid it would not be cost effective labor wise for someone to pull used parts from a transmission.

effjay80

effjay80

SILVER Star
A little ATF keeps them lubricated and preventing rust. For the price you paid it would not be cost effective labor wise for someone to pull used parts from a transmission.
Thank you and I just want to be sure as I don't want to seal up the pan then discover the parts were bad.

b4kwav

b4kwav

Mine does this occasionally too. Lmk if those solenoids fixed the problem