1994 rear drums do not work (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1994 cruiser and I replaced the rear drum shoes. At first I did not adjust the rear shoes enough and drove around for a couple miles.After adjusting the shoes I tried to bleed the rear brakes but no brake fluid came out of the nipples on either side on the rear. I was able to bleed the lspv ( proportioning valve) Right before the axle. Is there a way to reset the LSPV proportioning valve? I searched the forum and Google but could not find a definitive answer. I'm not sure if the valve is bad or it can be reset? Thanks in advance

The LSPV is a mechanical valve. There is no "reset". If you remove the long rod from the axle housing, you can tie it up high which will open the valve fully.
However, even at a static position, you should still be able to bleed the rear wheel cylinders.
From your description, I'm assuming that you have a semi floating rear axle with drum brakes.

The LSPV is a mechanical valve. There is no "reset". If you remove the long rod from the axle housing, you can tie it up high which will open the valve fully.
However, even at a static position, you should still be able to bleed the rear wheel cylinders.
From your description, I'm assuming that you have a semi floating rear axle with drum brakes.
Correct. Any idea why i would not get any brake fluid out of either side? Thx

I have a 1994 cruiser and I replaced the rear drum shoes. At first I did not adjust the rear shoes enough and drove around for a couple miles.After adjusting the shoes I tried to bleed the rear brakes but no brake fluid came out of the nipples on either side on the rear. I was able to bleed the lspv ( proportioning valve) Right before the axle. Is there a way to reset the LSPV proportioning valve? I searched the forum and Google but could not find a definitive answer. I'm not sure if the valve is bad or it can be reset? Thanks in advance
What drum brakes do you have on a 94? Is this a non-USA spec truck?

What drum brakes do you have on a 94? Is this a non-USA spec truck?
Some came with semi-float rear axles, drum brakes, no antilock. Rare, but they exist.

Not sure how the LSPV is plumbed, if the valve was completely closed/blocked if it would bleed or not. Since you are getting fluid that far, it eliminates a damaged brake line upstream from there, and a bad master cylinder.

If the valve is clogged or rusted out, it may not be flowing fluid. There is not a rebuild kit for it. You must replace the entire valve assembly.

You can detatch the rod from the rear axle and raise it as high as it can go, then try to bleed again. If you have a lifted truck and the rod has never been adjusted, then you may have not been using your rear brakes much.

Proper bleeding you must get the LSPV to the most open position it can be.

Have you pulled the wheel cylinder nipples completely out and cleaned them to make sure they CAN flow fluid out of them? Sometimes mud and dirt can get in there and clog them and even the brake pressure cannot blow it out.

Sounds like either your lines from LSPV to wheel cylinders, the wheel cylinders, or the bleeder screws are clogged. If you didn’t have the rubber caps on the bleeder screws, then there’s dirt/gunk/rust inside of them and they’re clogged. I’d start with replacing the bleeder screws with new ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom