1994 Locking Axle Swap. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone. I am still plugging away at this 94 Cruiser. I have replaced so many parts on this thing It's ridiculous. Short Verison....Something went bad with the front axle. It had impact to the front right of the vehicle. I had the frame measured and thank goodness it is striaght. The Alignment shop thought that it might be a bent mount on the differential housing . Also had a bad U-joint on the Front Driveshaft. Rather than try to rebuild the front axle or the Birfield, I found a set of Locking axles on Ebay. I am most of the way through the front axle Swap. I do not have any switches or computer for the front or rear. My question is can I drive on the front axle prior to swapping the rear and prior to installing ecu and switches. From what I understand there are a couple of gear ratios. So if my rear ratio is different from the Front, I will probably have problems. Is is safe to test it on grass, gravel? How will I know if the gear ratios are different? Thank you.

Hello Everyone. I am still plugging away at this 94 Cruiser. I have replaced so many parts on this thing It's ridiculous. Short Verison....Something went bad with the front axle. It had impact to the front right of the vehicle. I had the frame measured and thank goodness it is striaght. The Alignment shop thought that it might be a bent mount on the differential housing . Also had a bad U-joint on the Front Driveshaft. Rather than try to rebuild the front axle or the Birfield, I found a set of Locking axles on Ebay. I am most of the way through the front axle Swap. I do not have any switches or computer for the front or rear. My question is can I drive on the front axle prior to swapping the rear and prior to installing ecu and switches. From what I understand there are a couple of gear ratios. So if my rear ratio is different from the Front, I will probably have problems. Is is safe to test it on grass, gravel? How will I know if the gear ratios are different? Thank you.
Yes you should be able to drive like that. Axle ratios stayed the same as long as they came from a American gas engine 80. Drive slow and straight on pavement would tell u immediately if the ratios are different after about 10 feet.

Make sure your new locking diff is not on the locked position :) And yes, all gas engine 80 series LC are 4.11 axle ratio either with locked or unlocked diffs.

Make sure your new locking diff is not on the locked position :) And yes, all gas engine 80 series LC are 4.11 axle ratio either with locked or unlocked diffs.
Thanks everyone. Peluo, How would I know if they are in the locked position.........is there a manual control somewhere? I am sure I will have more questions as I set up the switches and computer....Just nice to know that I can drive it with the front done.

If you're not a purist and like to wheel, I would look into the 12 volt Guy blocker controller wiring harness.

Thanks everyone. Peluo, How would I know if they are in the locked position.........is there a manual control somewhere? I am sure I will have more questions as I set up the switches and computer....Just nice to know that I can drive it with the front done.

Try to turn on hard surface, it will be evident fast.

It will be hard as sin to make a turn on pavement. You could check the gear ratio by doing the old turn the wheel, watch pinion method.

This video was the first hit on Google.

When it's still up on jack stands spin one wheel If the other spins it's locked. This is a safe and easy way to see if there locked. Also you don't want to drive it in less your sure the gear are the same. JMHO

Hey everyone just wanted to give you an update on the axle swap. I have the front axle done and the truck is driving so much better than it did with the worn diff and disintegrated u-joint. Gear ratios are the same. Thank you again for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom