1994 LC Hard Starting When Warm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi. Thanks in advance. I'm a noobie. I'm not very mechanically inclined, but my friend at work is a former mechanic and has been willing to help me with my LC problems, so if I don't necessarily understand your responses, I know he will. I've had my 1994 LC for about 5 years. Almost 200,000 miles on her. I live in CT and there's a fair amount of rust these days. Anyways, about a month or so ago it started hard starting when the vehicle was warm. Starts right up in the morning. Drive it to work, no problem, and the same on my way home after it's been sitting all day. However, anytime the vehicle is warm from driving it, then turned off, it will not start. Eventually it does, but it takes forever (like up to 20 minutes of periodically cranking). It will try to start and come close several times but will putter out until finally coming to life. As I crank it, I can smell fuel. I replaced the fuel pump with my friend at work because I read somewhere that is the likely culprit, but unfortunately, the same problem persists. My mechanic friend was thinking maybe the fuel pressure regulator, or the fuel relay. I really have no idea and thought I'd ask you guys. Also, if I don't warm the vehicle up before driving it, it will die out. For instance, if I start it up and drive immediately, I'll make it a mile or so before coming to a stop sign. Stop, then give it some gas and as soon as I hit the gas pedal it putters out and the hard starting fun begins. But this never happens if I warm it up and let it run for about 5 minutes. Thank you so much for your help.

No.1

Idling is necessary. Either its hot summer or cold winter, idling for few minutes makes vehicle easy to start up its all operations.

If you don’t idle it and start driving immediately, it will stop after a mile or maybe earlier. This phenomena is common for almost all the vehicles.

So make the idling as your routine.

No. 2

If the vehicle doesn’t start when warmed up, there could be number of reasons for it.

It seems your ECT (Engine Cooler Temperature) Sensor is malfunctioning.

Just replace it and issue will be solved.

I agree. Swap the ECT sensor. Make sure you get the one that sends signal to the ECU, not the the one that sends signal to the gauge in the dash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom