1994 Land Cruiser - Transmission Pan Gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently replaced my transmission filter on my '94 and used the rubber gasket that came with the filter. Unfortunately, the gasket failed and leaked transmission fluid everywhere.
I am not sure if this is a common problem with rubber gaskets, but I decided to swap it out with a cork unit.

Seemed easy enough to find...not.

Apparently I have a non-typical transmission rectangular pan that has one corner with an inner "jag" and one corner with an outer "jag" (see pic) while most auto parts stores only carry the strictly rectangular one.
My Toyota dealer did not help much as their literature for the '94 stated to use RTV despite years before and after calling for a gasket.

Luckily, I ended up finding the correct part and wanted to share it with others in the same boat....Toyota part no. 35168-36010 (Toyota direct link) and cost me about $23

A couple notes on my install:

1. After cleaning both contact surfaces on the pan and transmission, I applied grease to both sides of the gasket to help it slide around a bit when tightening.

2. Prior to bolting up the pan, I ran a 6mm x 1.0 tap (Amazon direct link) through all holes to ensure all bolts tightened straight.

3. To ensure I didn't overtighten, I used a 1/4" torque wrench set to ~7-ft lbs or ~84-in lbs. I was able to pick up a Lexivon torque wrench (Amazon direct link) on Amazon for about $28 after coupon.

4. Even with being careful, I had (5) pan bolts strip on me in the soft aluminum. This issue probably pre-dates my ownership, but I didn't notice it the first time around.

5. I debated using some heli coils to repair it, but many of the bolt holes on the transmission run through the casting and was concerned the heli coils would not set right. 1/4" bolts would be the next size up from the existing 6mm, but believed a 1/4" tap would basically just re-thread the edges of existing 6mm threads and would not have enough thread left over to tighten to. I ended up using 5/16" x 18 bolts which are just a little smaller than a 8mm bolt.

6. I was able to tap all mine with a Dewalt 5/16" x 18 bolt tap (Amazon direct link) but please note that this is only due to the fact that all mine went straight through the casting. The Dewalt tap noted is a combined drill bit and tap which is quite long. I would not have been able to use it on bolt holes that did not pass through the casting completely. In these situations, I would have either tried a 5/16" short tap or opted for the 6mm heli-coil.

7. The 5/16" bolts / tap worked out great and very little metal was removed when drilled / tapped by hand with a 1/4" socket wrench.

8. Lastly, I also used Loctite and lock washers on each bolt.

So far so good.

Hope this helps.
Best.

IMG_20220803_123557_122_small.jpg

Thanks for posting I am about to drop the pan on my 94 as well. I was gonna use the rubber gasket that came with the kit. The cork looks like a better option.

I recently replaced my transmission filter on my '94 and used the rubber gasket that came with the filter. Unfortunately, the gasket failed and leaked transmission fluid everywhere.
I am not sure if this is a common problem with rubber gaskets, but I decided to swap it out with a cork unit.

Seemed easy enough to find...not.

Apparently I have a non-typical transmission rectangular pan that has one corner with an inner "jag" and one corner with an outer "jag" (see pic) while most auto parts stores only carry the strictly rectangular one.
My Toyota dealer did not help much as their literature for the '94 stated to use RTV despite years before and after calling for a gasket.

Luckily, I ended up finding the correct part and wanted to share it with others in the same boat....Toyota part no. 35168-36010 (Toyota direct link) and cost me about $23

A couple notes on my install:

1. After cleaning both contact surfaces on the pan and transmission, I applied grease to both sides of the gasket to help it slide around a bit when tightening.

2. Prior to bolting up the pan, I ran a 6mm x 1.0 tap (Amazon direct link) through all holes to ensure all bolts tightened straight.

3. To ensure I didn't overtighten, I used a 1/4" torque wrench set to ~7-ft lbs or ~84-in lbs. I was able to pick up a Lexivon torque wrench (Amazon direct link) on Amazon for about $28 after coupon.

4. Even with being careful, I had (5) pan bolts strip on me in the soft aluminum. This issue probably pre-dates my ownership, but I didn't notice it the first time around.

5. I debated using some heli coils to repair it, but many of the bolt holes on the transmission run through the casting and was concerned the heli coils would not set right. 1/4" bolts would be the next size up from the existing 6mm, but believed a 1/4" tap would basically just re-thread the edges of existing 6mm threads and would not have enough thread left over to tighten to. I ended up using 5/16" x 18 bolts which are just a little smaller than a 8mm bolt.

6. I was able to tap all mine with a Dewalt 5/16" x 18 bolt tap (Amazon direct link) but please note that this is only due to the fact that all mine went straight through the casting. The Dewalt tap noted is a combined drill bit and tap which is quite long. I would not have been able to use it on bolt holes that did not pass through the casting completely. In these situations, I would have either tried a 5/16" short tap or opted for the 6mm heli-coil.

7. The 5/16" bolts / tap worked out great and very little metal was removed when drilled / tapped by hand with a 1/4" socket wrench.

8. Lastly, I also used Loctite and lock washers on each bolt.

So far so good.

Hope this helps.
Best.

View attachment 3077275
Pretty sure the factory gasket is FIPG (Form-In-Place-Gasket) on all the Toyota transmissions.

I don't have leaks when I use that stuff.

I've done the cork and or rubber route on MANY older vehicle transmissions and they always leak.

Pretty sure the factory gasket is FIPG (Form-In-Place-Gasket) on all the Toyota transmissions.

I don't have leaks when I use that stuff.

I've done the cork and or rubber route on MANY older vehicle transmissions and they always leak.
Bummer, I was trying to avoid the whole FIPG thing but looks like I am SOL.

Last edited:
I have dropped the tranny pan a few times now to upgrade the A440F valve body and use factory pan gasket and have no issues with leaks.

For those who have replaced the transmission filter did it look like it needed to be replaced? I dropped the transmission pan on my 94 @ 150k miles to replace the filter
only to find the filter was completely clean. The magnets in the pan had some fine powder on them but not much.

Hey OP, in what condition is the PCV?
If the cork leaked...sounds like some pressure build up.
FIPG'er myself, but haven't seen new cork leak.

Gaskets are great at pushing fasteners off-center and interfering with your ability to feel binding. The only time I've ever stripped threads on a transmission is when using a gasket. Use FIPG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom