1994 hzj73 hub lock conversion. NZ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The factory hub locks that are electric are faulty and I have decided I want manual hub locks to replace them. I'm also wanting to repair them myself, so any help in what kind of hub locks I could purchase? Or anything I may overlook when installing them. I'm located in New Zealand and have struggled to find information so any advice is appreciated. My rig and favorites below.no

Last edited:

This fella converted his electric hubs to manual, but its a Prado. I think youll need to do the same thing but use wheel hubs from a cruiser with aisin manual locking hubs. Id be looking to get these bits second hand from a land cruiser wrecker.
Hey thanks for the reply, are you aware if there is a specific aisin hub I should get and would I need adaptors of some sort? Cause I don't want to buy something online and realise the part doesn't fit when I've bought it and have my vehicle off the ground.

search is your friend, been discussed lots of times on here.
Yea the thing with that is I can't find my vehicle in particular and I want to buy my parts online. I don't know enough to know if I'm purchasing something that may or may not fit my vehicle. So if anyone knew the specific parts for me to look for then that would be appreciated.

We can absolutely offer E-Hub to Manual hub conversion kits (and stock all the parts). There are a couple ways to go about this, one is using a custom hub adapter that mates the AISIN free-wheel hub to your existing wheel hub. The other option is to replace your hub body, spindle, etc with non E-Hub parts for a more OE looking end product. Pricing varies depending on the direction you decide as well as the hubs you select, $400-800 USD

Hey thanks for the reply, are you aware if there is a specific aisin hub I should get and would I need adaptors of some sort?
I would be checking to see if the HZJ75 manual hubs would be a straight swap, I think you need more than the hub. They are usually pretty cheap in Australia. About $200 AUD for Aisun brand and under a $100 for aftermarket. I picked up some used ones in excellent condition for $60AUD
part numbers.
43502-60070(05/1993 - 07/1994)
43502-69025(08/1994 - 07/1999)

I would be checking to see if the HZJ75 manual hubs would be a straight swap, I think you need more than the hub. They are usually pretty cheap in Australia. About $200 AUD for Aisun brand and under a $100 for aftermarket. I picked up some used ones in excellent condition for $60AUD
part numbers.

There is not an AISIN hub that is a direct fit in place of the E-Hub setup.

We know our hubs :D

Hard to beat Oldblue's mod for value!

If you want to replace the hub however, the best solution may not be online. Call up some wreckers & price up wheel hubs + factory Aisin free wheeling hubs off a non e-hub 60/70 series cruiser.

Cheers
Clint

Thanks this is the kind of info I need. Not too worried with the price as long as I can get em on asap. Cheers
So if I purchase this kit, this would be the only thing I need? Unbolt old hub and on with the new?
I would be checking to see if the HZJ75 manual hubs would be a straight swap, they are usually pretty cheap in Australia. About $200 AUD for Aisun brands and under a $100 for aftermarket. I picked up some used ones in excellent condition for $60AUD
part numbers
Hard to beat Oldblue's mod for value!

If you want to replace the hub however, the best solution may not be online. Call up some wreckers & price up wheel hubs + factory Aisin free wheeling hubs off a non e-hub 60/70 series cruiser.

Cheers
Clint
What about these?
Screenshot_20190430-104358.png

Send me an email or PM me as I convert your own hubs to Manual
Are these the hubs you mentioned? And would they be the only parts I would need to swap them over? Apart from the tools, plus some kind of sealant to block the hole from which the electrics entered the hub housing?
Screenshot_20190430-104358.png

So if I purchase this kit, this would be the only thing I need? Unbolt old hub and on with the new?

What about these?View attachment 1965275

Looks like they should work. I think 4wdbits stock those locally, maybe give them a call & ask about fitment to your truck. I have been told that most 60/70 series (& beam axle Hilux) hubs are interchangeable.

No idea on the strength of those AVM ones - they look like steel so may be OK. I think everyone recommends the factory Toyota Aisin as they are well known to be fairly strong & are of course usually available bolted to the wheel hub that you need to fit them in place of an e-hub.

Cheers
Clint

Cheers for the reply, quick question, are the hubs I posted from eBay the same as the ones that 4wdbits are selling? Because they are a lot cheaper and I don't mind the wait for postage.
3 options:
4WDbits Land Cruiser II, Prado, KZJ 70,73,71W - Electric Direct Replacement - Direct fit

Old blue

Or any 30 spline hub, with an adaptor ring. I had that on my old KZJ78 - it was like that when I got it - its the least good solution - more stuff to shear off or work loose.

I'd go old blue and be done.

Cheers for the reply, quick question, are the hubs I posted from eBay the same as the ones that 4wdbits are selling? Because they are a lot cheaper and I don't mind the wait for postage.

Part numbers are the same so yeah.

One final option - how are your wheel bearings and swivel hub seals looking? If they need replacing or are due replacing then you could swap in non e-lock bits of another 70. Obvioulsy this would cost more but you could tick off that maintenance at the same time. You'd need the wheel hub, spindle, and freewhell hub from a non-e hub lock 70.

Your photo looks like you're on the mainland - find this seller on trademe: bf-109f4 He's in CHCH and probably has what you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom